Air Integrated Computers -- LONG QUESTION

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my Aladin AI wrist mount it also shows out of air early. This is an option. I set it so I am supposed to be at my safety stop with 500 left and it times to that level. After that it shows 0 time left and 0 air left, although the bottom of the screen still shows accurate tank pressure.

Maybe your Cobra has the same option.

I'm glad I got a wrist mount. I used a console on some rental gear once and about never could find it. I keep my arms bent up in front of me, hands near my chin, when drifting ( my wife says I look like a chipmonk) and the screen is visible all the time.

Tom

Guys and Gals, I think we have ourselves a new manuver, the Tom "The Chipmunk" Manuver!!! :)

Tom, the Cobra's 0 air time remaining setting isn't adjustable. It is automatic and will be between 500 to 725PSI depending upon your consumption rate. As such it figures a heavy breather needs more air as a safety factor than a sipper, rightly so.

I have the manual in .pdf, it's a cinch to search :D
----
Anytime you enter into a dive, the remaining
air time calculation begins. After 30 - 60 seconds
(sometimes more, depending on your air
consumption), the first estimation of remaining air
time will be shown in the left center window of the
display. The calculation is always based on the actual
pressure drop in your cylinder and will automatically
adapt to your cylinder size and current air
consumption.

The change in your air consumption will be based on
constant one second interval pressure measurements
over 30 - 60 second periods. An increase in air
consumption will influence the remaining air time
rapidly, while a drop in air consumption will increase
the air time slowly. Thus a too optimistic air time
estimation, caused by a temporary drop in air
consumption, is avoided.

The remaining air time calculation includes a 35 bar
[500 psi] safety reserve. This means that when the
instrument shows the air time to be zero, there is
still about 35 bar [500 psi] pressure left in your
cylinder depending on your air consumption rate.
With a high consumption rate the limit will be close
to 50 bar [725 psi] and with a low rate close to 35
bar [500 psi].

It would be an honor to be in the same class as you, Warhammer. But I don't think anybody would be passing the towel around if I posted a picture.

Tom

Air integrated is great, I have my console on a retractor that zips it in under my arm when not using it. I also have a backup computer I wear on my wrist... nothing fancy, just a Genesis ReSource. I think AI vs. Non-AI is preference, but I can program the computer to alarm at 1500 PSI as a turn around pressure. Lots of cool features.....

DSAO

a few thoughts from a relative newbie. I use an AI and love it except for several points. First point is that my first Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus failed catastrophicly during a dive, second is that I have a hose mount and I'd definitely go with the wrist mount so you don't have something in your right hand all the time. As for the failure bit, I'm going with a Hyper Aqualand and a separate small SPG off my first stage as a backup. If I had the bucks, I go with a fully integrated wrist computer/watch like the Suunto plus the AI unit.

Hey all,

Probably the coolest thing about the PC interface is seeing the profile (graph) of your dive. It even has a 3-D profile of your tissue loading. If nothing else this helps you to understand HOW you are diving... I didn't realise I was ascending THAT quickly. Yeah, it was under 60, but the profile doesn't lie!

As for the pressures being different, here is the scoop. Gases expand and contract due to temperature, in fact gas laws and calculations are reffered to as "STP" (Standard Temperature/Pressure). Consequently, in order to determine sac, (which is on the PC interface) the software has to calculate the gas to be at a constant temperature (no, I don't know what their temp is). It assumes the gas temp to be the same as the water temp and actually measures the gross pressure and the atmospheric pressure before you dive, so it can figure absolute pressure. Consequently, the pressure on your software, is a calculated pressure to determine precisely what volume of air you used. I hope that this is now as clear as mud...

Pete from Orlando...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom