Operators requiring air integrated computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most Caribbean operators barely require a pulse, let alone any particular equipment. I don't remember the last time I was asked if I had a computer. Most vacation divers I see don't have a computer and some cannot even read their SPG and communicate how much gas they have. I love the warm clear waters, but it is crazy how bad some of the vacation divers are.
That hasn’t been my experience at all. You need to dive with better dive ops that cater to more experienced divers. They/we are out there and are always happy to dive with other “no drama” divers. 😎

Most Caribbean operators barely require a pulse, let alone any particular equipment. I don't remember the last time I was asked if I had a computer. Most vacation divers I see don't have a computer and some cannot even read their SPG and communicate how much gas they have. I love the warm clear waters, but it is crazy how bad some of the vacation divers are.
It was 20 years ago on Roatan, but I was about to leave with a divemaster when she asked if she could borrow my Timex Ironman watch, since she didn't have a working computer or proper bottom timer at the moment.

Little Cayman Beach Resort: "If you don’t own one, we also provide dive computers for use without charge to divers on packages. We require everyone to have their own dive computer on our boats."

Little Cayman Beach Resort: "If you don’t own one, we also provide dive computers for use without charge to divers on packages. We require everyone to have their own dive computer on our boats."
I just got back from LCBR and yes they do require the use of a computer, but there was no requirement that it be AI. Everyone on our boat had computers and myself and only a few other divers had AI.

Good question.
The first Suunto wireless AIs were analog, not digital, and had many problems. They came out around 2004, I think, and this is what gave wireless AI a bad name. Suunto finally became digital, around 2016, I think. They still require pairing with the dive computer, and this can be lost. In contrast, the PPS/Aqualung MH8A series came out after 1995 (the date of the FCC ID for the transmitter) and was definitely in operation in computers in the early 2000's.

Battery technology evolved, so the early MH8A units used 3x #357 button cells. The modern units use CR2 batteries. Several dive computer manufacturers got on the MH8A bandwagon, so you saw wireless AI using the MH8A from Oceanic, Aeris, TUSA, AquaLung, Sherwood, Hollis, Apeks, Shearwater.

As far as I know, all transmitters being produced today by all the manufacturers use digital transmissions (some over RF some over acoustic carriers), and all are reliable. These are the second generation systems. The early Suuntos were first generation, and terrible, really.

One reason for the reliability of the PPS system is that it does not require "pairing;" the transmitter just transmits, with an ID encoded, and the receiver (the dive computer) is told what that ID is. The computer hears all transmissions within range, but only fully decodes the one to which it is serial-number matched. There is no "pairing," in the sense of back-and-forth transmissions like Bluetooth. The dive computer is a dumb radio receiver, tuned to a particular station (transmitter).

The first wireless AI dive computer was the Cochrane dive computer that came out circa 1994 under Sherwood's name. Cochrane went to the market directly bypassing Sherwood shortly thereafter. Cochrane's wireless AI dive computer was VERY unreliable in every way. It gave bad reputation to all dive computers then. Its reliability continued through the end of the 90's. Cochrane finally got it right circa 2000 when it came out with the "Nemesis" model. It was the best wireless AI dive computer then and continued to be around until when the owner died and the company was closed down.

Cochrane was the pioneer in developing the wireless AI technology and idea afaik. I was their most loyal customer, I owned every single model they came out with from day one and suffered through their unreliability all the way until they came out with the Nemesis model.

The first wireless AI dive computer was the Cochrane dive computer that came out circa 1994 under Sherwood's name. Cochrane went to the market directly bypassing Sherwood shortly thereafter. Cochrane's wireless AI dive computer was VERY unreliable in every way. It gave bad reputation to all dive computers then. Its reliability continued through the end of the 90's. Cochrane finally got it right circa 2000 when it came out with the "Nemesis" model. It was the best wireless AI dive computer then and continued to be around until when the owner died and the company was closed down.

Cochrane was the pioneer in developing the wireless AI technology and idea afaik. I was their most loyal customer, I owned every single model they came out with from day one and suffered through their unreliability all the way until they came out with the Nemesis model.
Do you know what technology Cochrane used: RF, acoustic, analog, digital?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom