Operators requiring air integrated computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anything you would think they would require SPGs with computers. After all....air integration can go out on a computer due to signal loss....and while rare it usually quickly reconnects....but there is a possibility it could not.

If anything you would think they would require SPGs with computers. After all....air integration can go out on a computer due to signal loss....and while rare it usually quickly reconnects....but there is a possibility it could not.
You appear to be talking about first-generation AI systems, and/or Suunto. The new stuff is at least as reliable as a SPG and hose.

I was told by a reliable source that at least one Caribbean dive operator requires divers to have air integrated computers owing to insurance mandates. Didn't sound right to me but I've heard of dumber things so I did some searches and came up empty. Figured I'd run it by the board. Anyone hear anything like this?
Sounds confused. Requiring computers - Yes -- but not AI.

What is considered first gen AI vs now?
Good question.
The first Suunto wireless AIs were analog, not digital, and had many problems. They came out around 2004, I think, and this is what gave wireless AI a bad name. Suunto finally became digital, around 2016, I think. They still require pairing with the dive computer, and this can be lost. In contrast, the PPS/Aqualung MH8A series came out after 1995 (the date of the FCC ID for the transmitter) and was definitely in operation in computers in the early 2000's.

Battery technology evolved, so the early MH8A units used 3x #357 button cells. The modern units use CR2 batteries. Several dive computer manufacturers got on the MH8A bandwagon, so you saw wireless AI using the MH8A from Oceanic, Aeris, TUSA, AquaLung, Sherwood, Hollis, Apeks, Shearwater.

As far as I know, all transmitters being produced today by all the manufacturers use digital transmissions (some over RF some over acoustic carriers), and all are reliable. These are the second generation systems. The early Suuntos were first generation, and terrible, really.

One reason for the reliability of the PPS system is that it does not require "pairing;" the transmitter just transmits, with an ID encoded, and the receiver (the dive computer) is told what that ID is. The computer hears all transmissions within range, but only fully decodes the one to which it is serial-number matched. There is no "pairing," in the sense of back-and-forth transmissions like Bluetooth. The dive computer is a dumb radio receiver, tuned to a particular station (transmitter).

Good question.
The first Suunto wireless AIs were analog, not digital, and had many problems. They came out around 2004, I think, and this is what gave wireless AI a bad name. Suunto finally became digital, around 2016, I think. They still require pairing with the dive computer, and this can be lost. In contrast, the PPS/Aqualung MH8A series came out after 1995 (the date of the FCC ID for the transmitter) and was definitely in operation in computers in the early 2000's.

Battery technology evolved, so the early MH8A units used 3x #357 button cells. The modern units use CR2 batteries. Several dive computer manufacturers got on the MH8A bandwagon, so you saw wireless AI using the MH8A from Oceanic, Aeris, TUSA, AquaLung, Sherwood, Hollis, Apeks, Shearwater.

As far as I know, all transmitters being produced today by all the manufacturers use digital transmissions (some over RF some over acoustic carriers), and all are reliable. These are the second generation systems. The early Suuntos were first generation, and terrible, really.

One reason for the reliability of the PPS system is that it does not require "pairing;" the transmitter just transmits, with an ID encoded, and the receiver (the dive computer) is told what that ID is. The computer hears all transmissions within range, but only fully decodes the one to which it is serial-number matched. There is no "pairing," in the sense of back-and-forth transmissions like Bluetooth. The dive computer is a dumb radio receiver, tuned to a particular station (transmitter).
Interesting I did not start using AI until a few years ago. I find as long as the batteries are fresh it rarely disconnects but from time to time it does only momentarily. I use a Perdix and have found it to be excellent.

I can't remember the last time I was on a cell phone call that dropped, which is something that 15 or 20 years ago used to happen with regularity. Wireless technology has come a long way. Yet there are still people who insist on having a landline phone "just in case." I don't have a landline phone anymore, but I admit that somewhere in the back of my brain I still think of cell phones as unreliable. It's hard to shake deep-seated beliefs. I can understand both points of view and am reluctant to criticize either.

Most Caribbean operators barely require a pulse, let alone any particular equipment. I don't remember the last time I was asked if I had a computer. Most vacation divers I see don't have a computer and some cannot even read their SPG and communicate how much gas they have. I love the warm clear waters, but it is crazy how bad some of the vacation divers are.

Lots of dead spots still in my rural area. Until wifi calling became ubiquitous I only used a cell while traveling. I still don’t have “bars” at my house and DSL still via copper though it’s on fiber until the last mile.

Still don’t dive an AI computer as I haven’t seen enough benefit for the diving I do to replace my current DC. As a “tidy bowl” dive traveler, I haven’t been “gas limited” on an AL80 in a long time, so gas time remaining doesn’t mean much. I tracked my gas usage well enough using start/finish pressures in Subsurface, but I’m kind of past that now. I’m sure I’ll upgrade when my current DC gives it up or when there is a benefit offered that would make a difference for me. Lol…I’m not a luddite. 😊

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom