Air Integrated? Wrist Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

some AI computers will use air remaining in their dive time remaining calculation as well.

-J.-

As I see it, that a useless number. Gas management involves calculating a turn or ascent pressure/volume that provides adequate reserves. I haven't see a computer that knows what that is. Since the computer isn't doing any useful processing to pressure data, I don't see any sense in running that data through the computer at all.

Of course, if someone who knew something about gas mangement were to design the algorithym to be used in the firmware, that could be fixed easily enough.

As I see it, that a useless number. Gas management involves calculating a turn or ascent pressure/volume that provides adequate reserves. I haven't see a computer that knows what that is. Since the computer isn't doing any useful processing to pressure data, I don't see any sense in running that data through the computer at all.

Of course, if someone who knew something about gas mangement were to design the algorithym to be used in the firmware, that could be fixed easily enough.

I don't think anyone suggested an AI computer is to be used for gas management. If you use the dive time remaining calculation for a purpose is not intended for, then yes it would be useless.

I don't think anyone suggested an AI computer is to be used for gas management. If you use the dive time remaining calculation for a purpose is not intended for, then yes it would be useless.

What is it's intended purpose?

What is it's intended purpose?

To give the diver an idea of his dive time remaining based on the air consumption during the dive.

Look at like a computer on a car. It can estimate how many miles you can travel with the fuel remaining in your vehicle based on the current fuel consumption. It is useful to know how far you can go before you run out of fuel. You then can decide to stop and get fuel, or alter your driving to fall within your fuel consumption calculation. It is not intended to give you an absolute "run out of gas distance".

Let's say I planned a dive at 60 feet for 50 minutes. 20 minutes into the dive, my dive time remaining tells me I have 20 minutes left based on my air consumption. I can use that information to either decide to end the dive before the planned time, or to alter my dive to achieve the planned time.

This is exactly how I utilized it a few weeks ago. I let my buddy know for some reason I burned too much air in the beginning of the dive to make our targeted 50 minutes. We ascended to a depth until my dive time remaining calculation showed I had plenty of time in excess of the planed 50 minutes, and we were able to complete the dive without cutting it short. Buddy was happy, I was happy, DM was happy and the boat captain was happy only having to pick up one group of divers.

It is just a tool to give the diver information on what is happening during the dive, and it is up to the diver to decide how to utilize that information.

I have a couple questions:

What is the difference between the Oceanic VT3 and the Oceanic Atom 2.0? They look nearly identical (and are actually exactly the same price at the location I shopped them).

Also, both Oceanic models say that the transmitter is optional. Does that mean that the $600+ price is without a transmitter? So it's only technically AI after I purchase the $130+ transmitter?

Last question - For those of you who like non-AI wrist computers. What are your suggestions? Brands and models would really help a Noob out. :)

The VT3 is lager than the Atom 2.0. The Atom 2.0 allows you walk around town during you surface interval wearing a watch, the VT3 allows you look like your wearing a hockey puck sized watch. Some find the VT3 easier to read due to the larger display.

Yes, the $600 price is without a transmitter. Plan on shelling out around $900-$1,000 with one transmitter. Add another transmitter for the buddy check/multi-gas function, add around another $300.

As far as non AI computers go, my wife was very happy with her Oceanic VEO250. Easier to use and very reliable. It now serves as our back up computer and SPG, but it makes a fine primary unit.

Thanks for the info Cowjazz!

Hypothetical scenario: If I had the VT3 and my dive-buddy had an Atom 2.0, would I be able to read his primary transmitter for "buddy check" on my VT3? In other words, could I use his primary transmitter as my "secondary" transmitter? Or does it require a seconardy HP outlet and seconardy transmitter on each 1st stage? That last question is assuming that the transmitter attaches to the HP outlet on the 1st stage. Please correct my Noob idiocy if it connects elsewhere.

I guess it might be easier to ask...If we both have Oceanic AI hoseless computers, and both want to be able to read each other's tank pressure (along with our own), do we each need two transmitters?

I guess it might be easier to ask...If we both have Oceanic AI hoseless computers, and both want to be able to read each other's tank pressure (along with our own), do we each need two transmitters?

I don't have any experience with the Atom 2.0, but I believe the answer is yes, the transmitters are compatible. My wife's new VT3 had no problem linking with my older VT Pro, and she can check my tank pressure without a problem. Just program the serial number of transmitter, and you are good to go. Each of us has one transmitter connected to a HP outlet on our first stage.

I'd check with Oceanic just to make sure the Atom 2.0 transmitters are compatible with the VT series.

I find that oceanic does do a good job at calculating end dive time based on avalible gas. Your end pressure that the calculation uses is user setable, so you can end at 500 PSI or follow rule of thirds. The computer will calculate remaining dive time based upon current depth, safe accent rate, any deco or saftey stops, so you surface with the end pressure left in your tank.

I don't realy on the computer, I do it in my head. But I find I agree with the computer over 90% of the time. The issue is these computers have so many settings and options it takes a few hours to learn how to properly use them. How many people do you know that spend 3 hours reading the manual and going through everything?

As far as loosing the pressure signle or "syncing up" oceanic has a really good track record. With oceanic there is no "syncing up", you don't need to do anything special. Just hookup your reg, turn your tank on and get wet. That is why I did NOT buy a Suunto.

Personally I have heard many reports of wireless air transmitters failing on AI units. I use the Cressi Sub Edy wrist computer and a small SPG since it's unlikely that a technology as simple as an SPG would fail. If I were to use a wrist AI unit that utilized a wireless transmitter I would also han an SPG on as well as a back-up but it's hard to justify the added cost of AI if your going to use an SPG anyway.

I prefer a wrist computer so therefore I wouldn't want to use a computer/gauge combo that directly connects to the tank via a hose. That said my girl friend uses the Sherwood Wisdom AI computer and loves it. The Wisdom is a gauge style system that connects directly to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom