Air Integrated? Wrist Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was able to test dive both the Atom 2.0 and the VT3 from oceanic, both were amazing computers imo. The only reason i do not own one of them yet is because i had just shelled out the cash for a pro plus 2. One of the nice features that the Atom 2.0 and the VT3 have is that they have the computer serial number actually programmed onto the computer, meaning that if it is lost or stolen the serial number can not be scratched off.

Get the Oceanic Dive HUD and see all of your info in your mask and eliminate the watch.

You may want to consider an Air Integrated computer for now. I'm currently using a Wisdom and love it, but going wireless as soon as my Vytec DS arrives. Cost/benefit should also be considered. That being said I'm getting a great deal on the wireless. :D

Thanks for all the help on this board. My first purchase, beyond my original snorkeling gear, is going to be a computer and wetsuit (then reg set, then BC). I think the Oceanic Atom 2.0 looks awesome for one main reason...if I want to go AI, I can do it later, and it's way cheaper, it seems, than comparable Suunto models. The only bummer is lack of compass, but someone at ScubaToys suggested simply getting a compass and using a wrist boot...two straps shouldn't look too dorky, and seems to be a very workable idea. AI on the Oceanic looks to end up being about $950, and I can do that later, with my earlier purchase still letting me simply use a rented SPG as I get my AOW.

Thanks for all the help on this board. My first purchase, beyond my original snorkeling gear, is going to be a computer and wetsuit (then reg set, then BC). I think the Oceanic Atom 2.0 looks awesome for one main reason...if I want to go AI, I can do it later, and it's way cheaper, it seems, than comparable Suunto models. The only bummer is lack of compass, but someone at ScubaToys suggested simply getting a compass and using a wrist boot...two straps shouldn't look too dorky, and seems to be a very workable idea. AI on the Oceanic looks to end up being about $950, and I can do that later, with my earlier purchase still letting me simply use a rented SPG as I get my AOW.

Your making a good choice considering a AI nitrox computer as an early investment. I presently own both a VT3 and an Atom. The only problem with purchasing the computer alone is you'll end up paying significantly more for the complete system that way. The Transmitter is $399 purchased alone and them there is the download adapter another $89. Unless your diver buddies also are using wireless computers and you want the buddy monitoring feature, I would suggest purchasing the original Atom complete from LesuirePro. That way you spend the same but already have the transmitter when you get your regs and you won't need to purchase the SPG. (Another savings)

Well, since you are thinking of the Atom…I chose it AI.
And chose it as a brand spanking new diver so no previous expectation of what it should do, where and how.
I do simple pretty fish looking and not into redundant redundancy and so a more minimalist approach was my goal. I did not want to lug around a laptop underwater let alone in my gear bag when one item did it all in one place, always in the same place, on my wrist where I institutively looked for it. But then I favor really nifty widgets vs the more widgets the merrier.
I’ve used a console computer only a few times but they drove me bats. Oddly for all the complaining of the Atom being a small readout, I have no problem being only fairly corrected for near vision diving (contacts, trifocals dry) and can only tell a vicinity on a SPG. And haven’t been able to read a thing on any other computer (could be just the ones I used LOL.)
I like changing the battery myself and willing to sacrifice the frequency, but I dive frequently also. I like to be able to make adjustments to conservative factor and sampling frequency. I’m not thrilled with the software but I like having the software included to download and look at dives in more detail when so inclined.
And I’ve found Oceanic to be readily willing to back up their products with good customer service.

I think I agree that buying the whole thing outright from the beginning seems to make sense financially. Also, I believe at some point, I could potentially use the buddy feature, because my 12 year old son wants to get certified next year, and given his slightly scatterbrained nature, I'd like to keep an eye on his levels, too.

I originally was thinking about Suuntos, but they seem to be more expensive feature for feature, and while a third party dive logging software for Macs only works with those, I'm now thinking how little I'd actually use that. I'd enjoy the process more of writing the stuff in the logbooks anyway, and can manually enter my info, or even just use Parallels (the PC emulator), since I won't need to look at it daily.

Now to convince my wife I need to spend $950 on a dive computer! I think it will be time to sell one of my basses first.

I think I agree that buying the whole thing outright from the beginning seems to make sense financially. Also, I believe at some point, I could potentially use the buddy feature, because my 12 year old son wants to get certified next year, and given his slightly scatterbrained nature, I'd like to keep an eye on his levels, too.

I originally was thinking about Suuntos, but they seem to be more expensive feature for feature, and while a third party dive logging software for Macs only works with those, I'm now thinking how little I'd actually use that. I'd enjoy the process more of writing the stuff in the logbooks anyway, and can manually enter my info, or even just use Parallels (the PC emulator), since I won't need to look at it daily.

Now to convince my wife I need to spend $950 on a dive computer! I think it will be time to sell one of my basses first.

Well here is the real hitch for ya. Even though the original Atom doesn't have the buddy monitor feature it can still be used to do so. It is just not as simple it. can be done by setting it up as a multi bottle and switching it to the second bottle (in your case your sons) during the dive. Just as with the Atom 2.0 you could monitor 3 bottles total.
As for logging I do use the software and download to my laptop I also enter notes and other info and then print it out and put it into my log book. Each time I add dives to my log I also print out a new cover sheet which at a glance has enough info to satisfy any dive op.

I ended up buying the Aeris Epic which is the exact same thing as the Oceanic Atom (it's made by Oceanic). I had read that the graphs were better on it. I looked at the Epic and the VT3 side by side and the VT3 is huge on the wrist. Unless your blind the Epic's display is big enough. I wear glasses without a prescription mask and could read it from a good distance without a problem. I was down to about 80 ft. and never needed the backlight, but it has one for night diving. The information it gathers that can be uploaded to your computer is great. There was no problem with it staying synched during the dive. Leisure Pro gave me a great deal, I think it was about $675 for the computer and transmitter.

Thanks for all your help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom