Airline theft, ONLY Continental Airline.. I don't think so

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I almost never check luggage, but a month or so ago I did because at this particular airport (San Jose, in Costa Rica) they do a 2ndary screening at the gate; real Pain in the a__ and they took my cell phone between there and Miami (I know, I know, I should have carried that on).
I never used to check luggage - basically because I didn't want to wait around at baggage claim for god only knows how long - and I also liked the freedom of jumping to an earlier flight, if the opportunity presented itself (which you can't readily do if you checked bags). But that's pretty hard to do if you're traveling with SCUBA gear - fit everything into the small number of bags you're allowed to carry on.

I dunno why anyone would check a cell phone - not necessarily because of concern about it being ripped off, but because it's so damned small, there is no advantage to checking it :)

Wait wait wait a minute. Why would you automatically think you can trust airline employees?

...and why would you think that sub-contractor employees are automatically less trustworthy?

By the way - not all baggage handlers are subcontractees - some are airline employees.

Not automatically....

When the customer used the major airline company, there is a mutual consent that this airline is reliable and their service meets to the customer's eye level. That's reason why we pay more and are picky to choose the airline company. When you book, don't you care about the ariline company name?

Why? The human resource standard is totally different. I don't think that sub-contracted company has higher standard...

Sure, I don't believe that all major companies are using the sub-contractors....

I had a dive knife stolen out of my checked luggage once when I went to Miami. I would of reported it but since I know first hand how it would just be another report tossed in a pile and an act of God for them to pay for it I just wrote it off.

I wont fly continental even if its the only airline that goes where my destination is. Ill pay extra and drive further because they have never got anything correct. They over book flights intentionally and also lost my luggage every time I have flown with them.

Believe it or not, an airline theft is more common to an international travelers. A theft knows that they won't come back and are sick of English.

"Sick of English"? How in the hell do they know the nationality of a traveler based on their luggage? A LOT of the world speaks English, and baggage tags are often in the language of the destination so those that may find LOST luggage can READ the tag!

In any event, I think what you mean to say is, Thieves are morally bankrupt, and they don't really care WHO they steal from! :doh2:

hen the customer used the major airline company, there is a mutual consent that this airline is reliable and their service meets to the customer's eye level.
I disagree. When I use a major airline - or any other kind of airline - my only thought is, "oh dear god, please don't let them screw me TOO much - and please let me get an exit row seat". Of course, I count on being jerked around anyway.

I've flown on Delta, American, Continental, British Airways, Qantas, Northwest Airlines, Egypt Air, Aeroflot, Air Kenya, Alaska, and some others. I see no real difference among them - with the possible exception that Aeroflot is the most likely to jerk you around and that Air Kenya had the best food I've ever had on an airline. Other than that, they're all basically the same as far as I am concerned. The name of the airline doesn't do much for me, either way. My expectations are always pretty low.

Frankly, even though I have never had a checked bag lost, whenever all of my bags arrive when and where they are supposed to, I'm always amazed. That's how much faith I have in the reliability of their customer service and product in general.

When you book, don't you care about the ariline company name?
Absolutely not. It does not matter to me in the slightest. I care about price. After that, I care about policies (which have an impact on price).

I view airline travel as a commodity. I think most people are the same way. That's why all these soft fuzzy commercials about "how wonderful we are" are such a joke. I don't care who you are. I care about the cost of the seat, how much leg room I have, how many bags I can check, and how much you're going to jerk me around in the course of doing business with you (i.e. extra pricing for exit rows, aisle seats, more leg room, a second checked bag, assigned seat, on-line check-in, change fees and other such things.).

I never used to check luggage - basically because I didn't want to wait around at baggage claim for god only knows how long - and I also liked the freedom of jumping to an earlier flight, if the opportunity presented itself (which you can't readily do if you checked bags). But that's pretty hard to do if you're traveling with SCUBA gear - fit everything into the small number of bags you're allowed to carry on.

I dunno why anyone would check a cell phone - not necessarily because of concern about it being ripped off, but because it's so damned small, there is no advantage to checking it :)

It was in my suitcase, so I would not forget it - I should have taken it out - thought about it as I saw the bag go dow the baggage chute!

Believe it or not, an airline theft is more common to an international travelers. A theft knows that they won't come back and are sick of English.
I don't see how they'd confuse you with an English speaker.

I don't see how they'd confuse you with an English speaker.

I get it, you were using irony as a tool! What you otherwise might have stated was, "...with a speaker of English...".

The last good "English speaker" I saw was Queen Elizabeth, and that only makes sense what with her owning it, and all of that kind of stuff like that there.

My second cousin's BFF told me that all luggage handlers look through everything you check through and stuff whatever they can in their lunchboxes, I mean whatever the TSA didn't get first crack at!!!!! (sometimes they take pictures with you cameras of your toothbrushes stuck up their hineys too- this happened to my mailman's sister in Mexico) The airlines condone this stealing stuff because it makes the plane's cargo load lighter and more fuel efficient!!!!! This is also what has caused the explosion in used wetsuits, BC's and regumalotors at pawn shops that surround airports!!!!!!! If you want a full set of Scoober gear, check the pawn shops near the employee entrances to the landing strip.

That's what she said. and I saw it on COPS

be AFRAID!!!!! Be very afraid!!!!!

Cool. I am flying to Key West in a week and a half, on continental, through Houston. I figure my odds are pretty good that I am going to come up short when I get there. I will carry my reg and computer on with me. Beyond that, I just hope the rest of my stuff makes it. I have come to the conclusion that there is no sense in locking bags anymore, even if you use the TSA-approved lock. All that does is make your bag stand out as containing something worth stealing. Never thought about getting the dumpiest looking bag for my dive gear. Might have to go to walmart, buy the cheapest bag, drop it in a mud puddle, then wipe my dog's ass with it. Figure then it might look like it isn't worth opening.

I flew to Costa Rica two years ago. When I went to get dressed the following day after arriving, I thought I had forgotten to pack some of my clothes. Finally figured out that half of what I packed was stolen by someone in the process of flying. That trip ended up being a good one, stolen clothes, stolen sunglasses (out of room), and a stolen ipod (out of room). At least our bags were lighter for the trip home.

I also agree that all airlines blow. They all claim to be the best or offer the best (reminds me of cell phone companies). I would actually respect an airline more if their ad said something along the line of "you're going to get screwed, why not get screwed by us?" I've flown many airlines and had ok and horrible experiences with them all. I got a free first class upgrade once by United--Of course we were flying on government purchased tickets so they were probably more than coach seats to begin with. One of the funnier experiences was when Aloha lost my bag when I flew from Southern California to Northern California. The flight was about an hour, the drive is about 7 hours, and it took them 5 days to find the bag and return it. I wonder why they went out of business.

this is a very disturbing thread....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom