Al Hornsby Resigns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would someone please foward Trace's baskeball analysis to DEMA?

Tobin:

Great comment.

Trace would certainly have my vote-We are still dues paying members-not for long, perhaps.

A clear thinker, and real diver, such as Trace would sure change the whole equation. You've also got my vote in the Manufacturers category.

The current board needs to step down and allow a real reset. They seem to want to stay entrenched. They do need to step aside. If that
does not happen something new should well emerge.

C'mon Thal, no one wants to take the blame for sub-standard performance! It's easier to blame forums like SB. :D
You mean you're not to blame? I just assumed ...
I say we draft Trace and run him for BOD president.

The problem is the old guard who controls DEMA and erected this current debacle *Likes it that way*

Tobin
Naw, let's do what the diving industry traditionally does to anyone with a good idea that does not toe the party line, mutilate him with a rusty old Sea Hawk and mount his head on a paralyzer point.

Naw, let's do what the diving industry traditionally does to anyone with a good idea that does not toe the party line, mutilate him with a rusty old Sea Hawk and mount his head on a paralyzer point.

I say we draft Trace and run him for BOD president.

There's a difference? :wink:

Tobin

It's only one of the oldest and most respected agencies. Ever heard of YMCA? SEI is the new name of the YMCA scuba program.

If I ever meet an instructor or diver with SEI credentials I will gladly pay them the respect they deserve.

Where did SEI come from... UDT announced they were taking over the YMCA... at least that's what I've read everywhere. So is UDT now SEI? If so, could you please pick a name and stick with it? Regardless... neither is significant anywhere in the country or the world. They are at best fringe agencies. YMCA went away because it's program was archaic and no one wanted to do it... it was outdated. This is why all the YMCA's in Maryland are now and always have been (in my 14 years in diving) run by dive shops - be them SSI, PADI or NAUI.

Last edited:
I agree completely. here is one example

The second dive shop I worked for has been open since 1951 and the original owner was quite a guy. Well known in the industry and respected by many. He was also very intimidating to manufacture reps and the manufactures he dealt with knew the stakes.

Eventually he got so fed up with what some of his vendors were doing via mail order and with his customer service, he just started his own private label brand. He flew to Italy and stayed until he found someone to manufacture private labeled equipment for him and his friends in the business.

He just quit bitching about the problem, found another solution, shot his big middle finger in the air at the manufactures and continued to grow his business profitably.

Any Dive Shop such as OTW could do exactly the same thing via the internet and buy directly from Taiwan and China. That's where everything comes from anyway.

OTW, you sound like your a rougue dive shop owner, a self-proclaimed savior of the industry. I wonder, have you already tried something like this?

No, but if I stay in the industry... this is likely to occur. Given I could do it financially, I just have to decide that's a direction I want to take.

It wouldn't be so hard to have a computer, BCD or anything else made with my name on it... Dive Rite, Zeagle and IST already use the same computer model as an example. I was just discussing this product line thing with a rep today... Order 100 of this or that from the true manufacturer of the product and they'll put whatever name on it you want.

I'm looking hard at possibly debuting a line in 2011... so stay tuned... I give a lot of props to guys who have taken this approach... such as Mike at Down 130... one of the nicest wetsuits on the market... as China, Taiwan and others lag due to low orders from the big boys, now may be a good time to jump in... I'm thinking hard about it.

I will also be posting a thread in the SEI forum later today but let me say this here and now. SEI just celebrated 1 year of conducting skills and education based training with a 50 year tradition of excellence in scuba training. As an official spokesman there are certain terms referring to our origins that I have to be very careful using due to trademark issues. So a big thanks to Clint!

Most SEI Diving instructors are independents. As such even though we may own student gear, we generally do not sell equipment. Those of us who do not own shops. As such we are always looking for friendly shops to send our students to. We may even wish to rent classroom space or buy pool time from you. If you would welcome an SEI Diving instructor bringing you more customers, exposing them to the brands you carry, and selling said items to them, let us know. Either via an email to SEI HQ at, SEI Diving Home Page , me at , Welcome to UDM Aquatic Services, or post a welcome in the SEI Diving forum for us. We'd love to work with those shops who would welcome those of us who teach to the high standards that SEI Diving demands of us. Thanks to you in advance and thanks again to Clint, Trace, DCBC, and anyone else who helped us in some way to make this last year a success even if it was just by your acknowledgement of us.

Oh, and to OTW. I know for sure that SEI certs are accepted world wide. I personally made sure of it via an extensive email campaign I undertook to do myself last year to resorts, boats, and dive ops around the world. We are welcome everywhere. That you never heard of it says volumes about your current knowledge of the industry as a whole.

I'm sure its huge Jim... given you're still the only SEI Instructor I've ever seen of or heard of in my world travels... I respect the efforts, but if people think I'm making myself out to be more than I am... then you're on that same bus... along with me and Chaz...

Who's rules? Yours? Who are you to tell me what to do?

Again who's authority? Why should I bend my knee to you? You seem to define "get along" as act in a manner of your choosing to make you money. That's crap.

I teach independently, for free! It's my God given right to spend time how I choose. It's called freedom!

It would appear that in your mind that seems to be the case...

You know this to be a fact? You've surveyed independent instructors? I thought you posted that you are not working with any of them?

I don't, I guess I was missed in the survey. Go figure.

Yes, it's the shops that would appear to lead the way in this department. This is the main reason why I teach independently.

Yes, this is unfortunate. This was not always the case. As soon as someone realizes they can make a buck out of something, people come out of the woodwork to do so. It goes to prove if there is something that is special, mankind will find a way to defile it.

I've made my living as a diving professional for 38 years. Diving can survive and thrive without the LDS. It did before and can do so again.

Dam independent instructors! People like him screw me out of profits!

Ah yes, the Ferengi 10th Rule of Acquisition: "Greed is eternal."

I don't know of any competent professionals who give their services away for free... so that says all I need to know about your skill level. You get what you pay for and what you pay for is what you get.

I don't know of any competent professionals who give their services away for free... so that says all I need to know about your skill level. You get what you pay for and what you pay for is what you get.

DCBC and I don't see eye to eye on a number of subjects, but......

This is just a cheap shot. Many retired professionals do just that, give away their services. Not limited to scuba either.

Ever heard of volunteering?

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom