Al30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get him, Jeff!

oot_opera.jpg

PaulSmithTek:
I am getting into Technical Diving and would like to know...

Does anyone use AL 30's for anything. I have a AL30 that I use for commercial work, I would like to know if there is any practical use for this in Tech end of diving.
While I don't consider the diving I do to be very Technical (I limit my deco times to 15 minutes or less), I use an AL-30 as a deco bottle. In fact, a friend who is a commercial diver gave me the AL-30. I use it with 50% and I find I can get two dives out of a bottle. I'm sure as I progress with my diving, I'll buy an AL-40 and later an AL-80 for that purpose. But for now the 30 is fine.

Luxfer Al's for everything

30 for 100%, a 40 for 50%. 80's for stages.

Man, I have to work in my SAC rate- I use an AL40 for O2 and AL80s for everything else. Talk about driving a truck underwater! At least I don't need to freshen up my tanks between dives.

Seaviper,
The negative buoyancy of a deco bottle should NOT be used in determining your weighting. What if you had to get rid of that bottle? You'd be too light there bud. Aluminum stages and weight yourself like they weren't there.
As far as AL30's, good tank, I ocassionally use one for 100%, but prefer a 40.

Cosidering the tech route....I have 5 AL30's once used as pony's....if I needed more gas could I just sling two 30's with 100%? Its a small tank and probably easier than trucking an 80 around. Curious.

I use the Al 40, and I gotta say, I love it. You shouldn't be relying on your tank for weight, and after doing tank swapping for TDI fundies, I would definitely not dive steels slung. On my back, however, I gotta have steel. And one more thing: SeaViper, why are you diving deco to 170+ on a single tank with a fairly good overfill? How are those burst disks? You diving a Y or H valve on that 120? How far are your certs?

I dive an AL40.. would prefer an LP46 but then again I'm a cave diver and we get to drop our bottles (and those 40's float reg-in-the-mud).

I dive lp 45 for 02 and Al 80 Stage.

The steel vs aluminum stage and 02 has always been a great topic for discussion...so here goes :D

The bouyancy characteristics are not dramatically different. The LP Steel 45 is 3.7 neg full and the Al 80 is neg 1.0 full. Empty the Steel is .5 neg and the Aluminum is positive 1.2

You can always get a great fill on the LP steel and have a little more gas.

Of course out of the water there is a lot more weight to the steel tank, good thing its a short distance to the dive platform.

Cheers

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom