Alabama Blue Water Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got back home last night and it was great. Dive Sat afternoon with another father of the group certifying with my son. We went to about 60 ft and looked around Viz about 20 ft. Found a few cars, a fire truck with a camode placed on top. Temp was about 62 F. We came above thermocline to warm up about 82 F. We meandered around and saw lots of fish. We surfaced to see how the cert class was doing. After a SI we went back again and just meandered around looking at the structures we could find. This time not going below the thermocline very long. Sun morning got to buddy with my son on his follow the leader dives. We made 2 dives together and had a great time. Son was having some problems with one of his BCD Dumps leaking so after the last dive we called it a day. Over all this place is a great place to dive and has a lot of structures and fish to observe.

You probably saw me on Saturday (I was there from the gates opening until around 5pm), but I had no idea which of the many divers might be someone from scubaboard... If you saw or talked to the 6'2"-ish 180#-ish guy with a pony tail and a yellow 19cf pony (diving out of a little white Hyundai Tiburon with "CLAYJAR" plate), that would've been me. I *did* have three very enjoyable dives, however.

The first dive, I went to the 30' platform, continued down to the vicinity metal box (borg cube?), twittered around a while around 80-85', and then returned to the 30' platform and pipes to practice fin counts and bearings before returning to the dock.

For the second dive, I went along the line past the condemned dinosaur to the sailboat, and then off the starboard incline down to 105' for a short stint to do some backward name spelling and math and such to check my mental form (I should've brought a sudoku on my dive slate to break up the monotony). Then it was back up to the wall and along to the bus. From there, I continued to the aforementioned Cube and then up to the 30-ish platform, over to the pipes, and along the wall past the car and back to the docks.

The last dive I went back along to the sailboat, bus, cube, platform, and pipes, and then I continued all the way under the docks and around to the... er... "well-equipped" fire truck. Diving along the walls reminded me a lot of the jetties at St. Andrews, but without being the mole in a game of whack-a-mole (played by the current).

I dove in my 5/4 with a hooded vest, and I must say, while it wasn't warm at the bottom, it wasn't bad either. Then again, it was *significantly* warmer than the third underwater terrace on the South Holston Lake dam in Tennessee the day before. (That was "so, *how* much is a drysuit, again?" temperature.) I'm definitely going to have to make it back to Blue Water some more... and some of the others, too, I hope (with requisite buddy).

Hey Frank!

Didnt know you posted here on SB. BTW, this is Michael, the big one-armed dewd. (Bought all of yours and yours son's Gatoraide. :p)

We enjoyed the OW dives as well. Frank (my dive buddy) dove one last time Sunday before we headed home as well. Kind of a small world isn't it?

I hope your son gets his BC checked/fixed. Maybe we all can plan to go dive there again or even better, on the coast somewhere.

Hit me up here or send me an e-mail sometime.

Michael

LOL, I saw you pony tail man. I was with Frank and his son, I got certified this last weekend with Deep South Scuba. Actually, my name is Frank and I was with the one armed guy Mike. If you can't remember us now, there's no need in continuing... lol.

Frank, your sons name was Will? If my memory serves me right (it usually doesn't), with Psycho tatoo'd on his arm? Anyway, I'm sure it's you, but, if you wouldn't mind, email me some of your photos from the weekend to frankc <at> ultraonline.net.

Clayjar, we were the group of divers right by your truck! So you walked right past us many times! fmw625 was the older guy with the curly white hair, fmw's sone was the skinhead (lol that word cracks me up) w/ the gotee, mwhities is the huge guy w/ one arm, me, well, I was the 2nd to biggest guy there short hair.

Back
Top Bottom