alleged perpetrators of the explosive attack on the Caribbean I ship were arrested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is being speculated about the other devices that were found. Didn't at least one of them (found floating) have actual dynamite in it? What about the one tied to the stabilizer or rudder?

read all the posts.
Three real bombs.
One exploded on the ferry.
One was found by dave's captain floating near the cargo ferry pier.
One was found attached to the hull of the ferry anchored in the harbor.

read all the posts.
Three real bombs.
One exploded on the ferry.
One was found by dave's captain floating near the cargo ferry pier.
One was found attached to the hull of the ferry anchored in the harbor.

I did read all the posts. I am asking what is the supposition about the family's involvement with these other devices? Obviously, the guy with the backpack didn't keelhaul himself to plant the two devices (and lost one of the two at sea).

...Essentially, (from an untranslated link he shared last week) there is speculation that the Borge family recently took out a $4M insurance policy and set these attacks up themselves to cash out that policy and use it for political attacks against the current Q.Roo government. The elder Borge was seen boarding the boat with an unknown person who was carrying a backpack when he got on, but didn't have a backpack when he got off. Por Esto! isn't exactly known for it's "fair and balanced" take on the news, so this should be taken with a grain of salt, but it may be credible.

They also explained that the bombs were a mixture of sodium perchlorate, aluminum, and boric acid, a mixture that will make a nice concussive blast but not do a lot of real, lasting damage. They didn't fill them with screws or anything slow burning, so it was obvious they weren't meant to maim as you would expect if this were terrorism (that sentence is my personal thought, as a chemist, but not an explosives expert).

Hmmm.

Is that speculation about a $4M insurance policy - or has that been verified? I'd guess that should be quick and easy to validate.
Is it credible that they would do that to generate a bunch of money that would then be used for "political attacks" against the current state gov? If they could pull a big insurance scam, wouldn't they just pocket the money?
I thought the elder Borge was in jail - if so, how was he on the boat that day?

Is this really the official government finding, or some crank publication's conspiracy theory?

Dave D, Christi - does this story seem credible to you, or nonsense?

Not sure how I feel about this theory. On the surface it seems plausible but there are some holes.

The actual damage was rather minor. Only way it substantially pays off is if it covers loss of revenues and the shutdown was externally imposed because of the incident. I haven't seen a clear explanation that makes sense as to why Barcos is not running right now.

If the Borges were going to do this, you'd think they would keep their own family members far from the scene, hire someone to do it and not stupidly do it themselves. Although I don't think anyone has actually seen this so-called video of him there.

Last edited:
As a Texican…I just can't help myself. Are you safer in Playa Del Carmen, or Austin, TX? Will the State Dept. issue a travel warning?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
I, for one, will be avoiding Austin Texas this year. It's easy for me and probably most people since Tex isn't exactly a big destination for tourism like Mex is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom