alleged perpetrators of the explosive attack on the Caribbean I ship were arrested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm.

Is that speculation about a $4M insurance policy - or has that been verified? I'd guess that should be quick and easy to validate.
Is it credible that they would do that to generate a bunch of money that would then be used for "political attacks" against the current state gov? If they could pull a big insurance scam, wouldn't they just pocket the money?
I thought the elder Borge was in jail - if so, how was he on the boat that day?

Is this really the official government finding, or some crank publication's conspiracy theory?

Dave D, Christi - does this story seem credible to you, or nonsense?
There is a lot of speculation and hearsay in the sipse.com article. They are basically reporting what another writer (Raúl Rodríguez Cortéz of El Universal) wrote about this. According to Cortéz, Roberto Borge Martín, the not yet incarcerated father of the currently incarcerated ex-governor Roberto Borge Angulo, was the one on the boat with the backpack-carrying unidentified person. The writers of the article haven't seen the video, but claim that sources that have seen it said the two men hurriedly exited the boat, sans backpack, just before the blast. They again have only a "sources say" explanation for the insurance policy, but they say that this was one of the most expensive boats that makes the Coz <--> Playa run and "other shipping companies" report that there was a $4 million insurance policy on it.

They then present a paragraph with no supporting evidence, claiming that the self directed attack on the boat would have been carried out as a way of getting at this insurance policy to use that money to destabilize the current state government, headed by Carlos Joaquín González, with whom the Borge family has been feuding since losing the 2016 election, and who in May of 2017 put the younger Borge in jail for corruption. So they aren't looking for the money just to get the money, but to get revenge.

Is any of this true? Who knows. It's Mexico, where government corruption tends to be even more out in the open than it is here and the news is even less trustworthy.

Last edited:
Still makes no sense that Borge himself would be present. Does he live on or often visit Cozumel? And I'll bet that isn't $10k in damages to the boat. It would also indicate the explosives originated on Cozumel island.

Still makes no sense that Borge himself would be present. Does he live on or often visit Cozumel? And I'll bet that isn't $10k in damages to the boat. It would also indicate the explosives originated on Cozumel island.
Anybody who would blow up their own business just to get insurance money to exact revenge on a political rival can't be all that smart.

There is a lot of speculation and hearsay in the sipse.com article. They are basically reporting what another writer (Raúl Rodríguez Cortéz of El Universal) wrote about this. According to Cortéz, Roberto Borge Martín, the not yet incarcerated father of the currently incarcerated ex-governor Roberto Borge Angulo, was the one on the boat with the backpack carrying unidentified person. The writers of the article haven't seen the video, but claim that sources that have said the two men hurriedly exited the boat, sans backpack, just before the blast. They again have only a "sources say" explanation for the insurance policy, but they say that this was one of the most expensive boats that makes the Coz <--> Playa run and "other shipping companies" report that there was a $4 million insurance policy on it.

They then present a paragraph with no supporting evidence, claiming that the self directed attack on the boat would have been carried out as a way of getting at this insurance policy to use that money to destabilize the current state government, headed by Carlos Joaquín González, with whom the Borge family has been feuding since losing the 2016 election who then put the younger Borge in jail for corruption. So they aren't looking for the money just to get the money, but to get revenge.

Is any of this true? Who knows. It's Mexico, where government corruption tends to be even more out in the open than it is here and the news is even less trustworthy.

Thanks for the backstory. The more I read and think about this, the less convincing the narrative seems to me.

Even if I could buy the overall story of "self sabotage" for insurance money, it's a real stretch for me to believe that an elderly gent, head of some influential local family deeply involved in politics and business, would plant such a bomb himself. Mexicans are not idiots. You want a bomb planted, you get a minion to do it - I'm sure there are plenty of desperate and willing young minions available if you run in Mexican criminal/political circles.

And if you want to frame up someone you find out when they are riding the ferry and get a minion to do it on that particular run, making sure to walk beside them getting on and off.

And if you want to frame up someone you find out when they are riding the ferry and get a minion to do it on that particular run, making sure to walk beside them getting on and off.

What really happened:

If the Borges were going to do this, you'd think they would keep their own family members far from the scene, hire someone to do it and not stupidly do it themselves. Although I don't think anyone has actually seen this so-called video of him there.

#THUGLIFE

There is something to be said about the arrogance of people who think they can get away with anything. But who knows what is going on here.

Well if Borge's mistress wasn't Instagraming all the dang time, he probably wouldn’t have gotten away.

Last edited:
There is something to be said about the arrogance of people who think they can get away with anything. But who knows what is going on here.

And I get that as well. Never underestimate the stupidity of criminals. How many times have you heard the guilty party try to use that as a defense, "if I was going to <whatever>, why would I have done that?" Because you didn't think you would get caught, that's why.

Back
Top Bottom