Alone in Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagal82:
Which dive shop is better for single diver???

Please help, im already frustrated since i hate travelling alone.. :(

I just got back from the Philippines yesterday and was in Malapascua from the 10th to the 13th. I also traveled by myself and both dove and stayed with Exotic Island Dive Resort. The instructors at the dive shop, Terry and Traci, were absolutely fantastic. I dove with them previously in Thailand and really enjoyed their company each time. There were also a few other divers at the resort who were traveling solo, so there was a nice group of people to hang out with.

On the negative side, the resort is undergoing major renovations right now. Jackhammers begin at 7 AM and last most of the day. Despite its isolated location on the beach, it's not very relaxing at all. In addition, the resort management (not the staff) was also EXTREMELY unfriendly and treated the guests more like they were nusiences than paying customers. Most of the managers are related to the owner in one way or another and view the resort as THEIR home, not YOUR vacation destination. My girlfriend tried calling me at the resort one evening and they just told her that I was asleep, since they were all watching TV and didn't feel like walking downstairs from the office to get me. She then sent a text message to my mobile and when I realized what had happened, I was livid. When she tried calling back, management wouldn't even answer the phone.

Given the above, my recommendation would be to stay somewhere else on Malapascua (both Cocobana and Sunsplash looked nice). If you don't mind a short walk down the beach, it would still be possible to dive with Exotic. Otherwise, I've also heard good things about Thresher Shark Divers, which is a bit more centrally located.

On a more positive note, the thresher sharks were on Monad Shoal every day that I was on the island. You should have some good luck in finding them as well. Two manta rays also showed up on the last day. Enjoy your time there and if you do dive with Terry and Traci, please give them my best.

sorry to hear that. However you are now aware of the ups and downs of some places. "Gather the good throw away the bad"

hopefully the next time you come there will be better information exchange here at the board to provide you with better choices prior your trip.

Monitor this area for our Dive-O-Rama pictures.

manhattandiver:
On the negative side,

manhattandiver:
I just got back from the Philippines yesterday and was in Malapascua from the 10th to the 13th. I also traveled by myself and both dove and stayed with Exotic Island Dive Resort. The instructors at the dive shop, Terry and Traci, were absolutely fantastic. I dove with them previously in Thailand and really enjoyed their company each time. There were also a few other divers at the resort who were traveling solo, so there was a nice group of people to hang out with.

On the negative side, the resort is undergoing major renovations right now. Jackhammers begin at 7 AM and last most of the day. Despite its isolated location on the beach, it's not very relaxing at all. In addition, the resort management (not the staff) was also EXTREMELY unfriendly and treated the guests more like they were nusiences than paying customers. Most of the managers are related to the owner in one way or another and view the resort as THEIR home, not YOUR vacation destination. My girlfriend tried calling me at the resort one evening and they just told her that I was asleep, since they were all watching TV and didn't feel like walking downstairs from the office to get me. She then sent a text message to my mobile and when I realized what had happened, I was livid. When she tried calling back, management wouldn't even answer the phone.

Given the above, my recommendation would be to stay somewhere else on Malapascua (both Cocobana and Sunsplash looked nice). If you don't mind a short walk down the beach, it would still be possible to dive with Exotic. Otherwise, I've also heard good things about Thresher Shark Divers, which is a bit more centrally located.

On a more positive note, the thresher sharks were on Monad Shoal every day that I was on the island. You should have some good luck in finding them as well. Two manta rays also showed up on the last day. Enjoy your time there and if you do dive with Terry and Traci, please give them my best.

i will be going to malapascua some time next month, thanks for the headsup! thats negative publicity for the place, the manager should know that there are people at his own resort that is bad for business. im defintely going to spread the word.

I too would recommend Exotic, I stayed there in June of 2003, nice place and good diving!

Thanks everyone for information :07:

I am not going to stay with Exotic divers because I know a group of 20 Chinese divers have already booked with the shop during my stay time. I 'd better avoid the big group.

Think i will go with Thresher Shark Divers, they seem to have good reputations.

manhattandiver:
I just got back from the Philippines yesterday and was in Malapascua from the 10th to the 13th. I also traveled by myself and both dove and stayed with Exotic Island Dive Resort. ...

How do you get to Malapascua from Cebu? My flight arrives in Cebu at about 12PM and i heard that after 3PM i have to take the private boat to get to the island...

happybuddha:
Hi again scubagal, one more thing...your profile says you dived in Shenzhen. Tell me more, where did you dive in Shenzhen? How good is the diving? I can't imagine the visability would be very good.

Thanks,
Drew

the name is Nan ao island, viz was from 50cm to 2 or 3 metres. i think you should ask "how bad is the diving?"

scubagal82:
How do you get to Malapascua from Cebu? My flight arrives in Cebu at about 12PM and i heard that after 3PM i have to take the private boat to get to the island...

you can arrange with your resort, they have shuttle services on request.

scubagal82:
Thanks everyone for information :07:

I am not going to stay with Exotic divers because I know a group of 20 Chinese divers have already booked with the shop during my stay time. I 'd better avoid the big group.

Think i will go with Thresher Shark Divers, they seem to have good reputations.

yikes, good choice on avoiding that group. you dont wanna feel like your in china all over again:)

Back
Top Bottom