Alone in Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagal82:
How do you get to Malapascua from Cebu? My flight arrives in Cebu at about 12PM and i heard that after 3PM i have to take the private boat to get to the island...

Contact the dive shop ahead of time and have them pick you up from the airport. This is the hassle free way of getting to the island. From Mactan to Maya, will probably take 3.5 hours given the traffic and another 30 - 40 mins by boat to Malapascua island. You can always hire a boat in Maya at any time of the day. So, dont worry about missing the public boat service.

However, if you feel adventurous, you can go by bus to Maya. The trip takes 5 hours, they pack people like sardines in the bus and the drive is not for the faint of heart. It only cost 50 pesos.

Here's a link from TSD's website on getting to Malapascua, http://www.malapascua-diving.com/Malapascua/GettingHere.html

Hope this helps.

Enrique

scubagal82:
i think you should ask "how bad is the diving?"
Thanks scubagal82, that's what I assumed...another reason why my dive kit stays in the Philippines.

Drew

scubagal82:
Arriving in Cebu at noon 29th Sep and other friends should arrive on 4th Oct

Another idea might be to head to Moalboal from the airport, dive there for a few days and then go up to Malapascua. It's still low season, but there are more people to hang out with and it would give you a chance to check out another dive spot. Moalboal is about 2.5 hrs. from Cebu. A private car from the airport will be 1800 pesos. You can then overnight in Cebu on your way back and take the earlier public bus/boat to Malapascua.

Other options accessible from Cebu are Alona Beach (and Balicasag Island), Cabilao Island and Southern Leyte. The diving in each of these places is generally better than in Moalboal, but in each case you'll have fewer people around and less to do above the water.

subzero:
Contact the dive shop ahead of time and have them pick you up from the airport. This is the hassle free way of getting to the island. From Mactan to Maya, will probably take 3.5 hours given the traffic and another 30 - 40 mins by boat to Malapascua island. You can always hire a boat in Maya at any time of the day. So, dont worry about missing the public boat service.

However, if you feel adventurous, you can go by bus to Maya. The trip takes 5 hours, they pack people like sardines in the bus and the drive is not for the faint of heart. It only cost 50 pesos.

Here's a link from TSD's website on getting to Malapascua, http://www.malapascua-diving.com/Malapascua/GettingHere.html

Hope this helps.

Enrique

A taxi from airport to Maya (town you catch the ferry at) should be 1700-1900 pesos. TDS will contact Giovanni for you - he's their regular taxi driver. Not sure about the ferry hours as I usually stay overnight in Cebu and get an early start the next morning or arrive earlier in the day. The ferry trip was up to 75 pesos on my last trip. The crew will try to talk you into a special trip for 500 pesos but don't go for it. Try to get on the ice boat at about 11am - they usually leave quicker as they don't want it to melt too much.

Have fun - I love the island. Andrea, Trevor and Vick will take good care of you at TDS. Make sure to get the chicken fajita at Sunsplash for dinner. I usually stay at the Kuan Bar for 750-850 pesos per night - negotiable depending on time of year with breakfast (fan only, off the beach and for heavy sleepers due to close proximity of videoke bar).

Jason

jbb:
Make sure to get the chicken fajita at Sunsplash for dinner. I usually stay at the
Jason
jbb,
Did you take the 15 shot challenge at Sunspalsh resort?

Enrique

hi,
u dont have to be alone when u dive there in malapascua. the dive shops there usually offer group dives, so u can join them. we went to exotic divers there before. they have a daily trip to the dive sites. there's a daily trip to monad shoal where u can see thresher sharks. and in gato island for white tip. u can always come back everyday if u want and u would see those sharks, and u can still go back there with your friends.

or if u want u can canvass for the cheaper dive rates when u arrive.

also, try la bonita restaurant. yummy. its situated inside the island.

have fun.

happybuddha:
Thanks scubagal82, that's what I assumed...another reason why my dive kit stays in the Philippines.

Drew

Hi Drew,

I skipped that you said you also stay in GZ when i read your reply last time.

There are more and more divers in GZ now, when i first got certificated more than 3 years ago, i couldnt find many divers in GZ. Now there is a small community in GZ. :05:

How do you like it here thou? I was born, grew up, studied and work here for 23 years and i am sick of this city right now. Always planning for a long leave!!!

manhattandiver:
Another idea might be to head to Moalboal from the airport, dive there for a few days and then go up to Malapascua. It's still low season, but .

Thanks for your advise but i think i will stick in malapascua, dont want to spend so much time on the road :10:

jbb:
A taxi from airport to Maya (town you catch the ferry at) should be 1700-1900 pesos. TDS will contact Giovanni for you - he's their regular taxi driver. Not sure ..

Jason

Airport pickup is a bit pricy for me,55USD, i need to think about it.

I am thinking i may share a taxi to Maya with other passengers from the Airport, and then take the private boat. i dont know if this can work thou...

travelling alone always need to pay extra money :(

p.s. Anyone recommend a cheap accomm. in Cebu? i need to stay overnight there when going back home....

scubagal82:
p.s. Anyone recommend a cheap accomm. in Cebu? i need to stay overnight there when going back home....
Depends on where you want to stay. In Mactan, there's Days Inn for $30USD/night. If you want something in Cebu City, there's Garwood Park Hotel, Golden Peak Hotel, Metro Park Hotel.

Please keep in mind, what you pay is what you get. These hotels are one of the cheapest in Cebu and service might suck, but if its just a place to stay for the night, they'll do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom