Am I a bad person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying:
So I finally hastled one buddy into taking Open Water. Predictably, he loved it.

Now I'm going on vacation with some friends and, of course, the first thing I dig in on is "Before we go, everyone needs to take Open Water lessons."

I've got one bite, but I'm starting to feel guilty.

I've always hated missionaries.

Well, you're being one. I've always been of the opinion that people who can't figure out how much fun diving is on their own are too stupid to make safe divers.

dweeb:
Well, you're being one. I've always been of the opinion that people who can't figure out how much fun diving is on their own are too stupid to make safe divers.

One can't really figure out how much fun diving really is until one has experienced it. Or are you suggesting that people try it out by themselves?

in_cavediver:
But be careful, don't try to force someone to dive who really doesn't want to. Its listed as an absolute contridiction of the RSTC medical form, long version. (Discover scuba diving is ok though since its more of an expierence program not a training program)

Just my thoughts....

Mike

i took my wife diving for the first time in the Bahamas with that Discover scuba. They dont take you deep and she loved it. BTW she is certified now ;-) Its hard not to be after experiencing diving for the first time!!!

It took me about two months of nagging to get my wife to do the try scuba. It took her another two days to mumble to me that she had fun. I took the attitude that if they at least try it, I'll leave them alone. That is unless they are closterphobic. Pushing them to certify is another story. I think it puts you and them in danger if they ever certify. I can't see them being a safe buddy/diver.

On the other hand, if they get bit by the bug. They sit and type things on a scuba board during work while their boss walks by..... Now I would never know anything about that. OOPS gotta go

saying:
So I finally hastled one buddy into taking Open Water. Predictably, he loved it.

Now I'm going on vacation with some friends and, of course, the first thing I dig in on is "Before we go, everyone needs to take Open Water lessons."

I've got one bite, but I'm starting to feel guilty.

I've always hated missionaries.

Some folks simply don't have the interest, motivation or finances to get into the sport so I'd avoid coming off like an Amway peddler. The worst thing you can do is waste your friends time and money trying to appease you. If you want a dive vacation go with divers.

Before going on a dive vacation I'd suggest not only lessons but also learning to dive by.... diving for a while. Going out with a freshely trained band of buddies souinds like a recipie for pratfalls, fiascos, short aborted dives frustration and a waste of vacation time.

Pete

mikswi:
"Am I a bad person "

If so, then we are bad together! I build modular homes for a living and I always talk about diving during my initial sales call. Most have wanted to try but it's usually the $$ or not sure what its all about. I find it odd that people will drop $350,000 on a house based on a picture but wont go "try" scuba which allot of LDS have "Discover Scuba" nights that are usually free or a nominal fee.

I have in the past given people and couples a $350 store credit at my LDS. its enough to cover the classes as well as a start at the gear as well. It helps me to create a bond with the customer that lasts throughout the construction process. In addition to this, it helps out the LDS, gets more people in the water and helps to spread the word about my company.

I got the idea from siding company's that give you a TV, vacation or free windows. It's not a perfect plan but its extremely effective for me.

Is your LDS located in Palmer, MA?

amongst our chief weaponry are such diverse elements as,
fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical
devotion to DIR

As long as it doesn't involve clipping the SPG on the left hip, right?

I (or Peter and I) am now responsible for four OW certs and one conversion to the DIR religion, and I continue to try to spread the word among the heathen. Like lots of ministers, though, my biggest failure is at home . . . :)

Divers need extra redemption, that is why our baptisms are so long and so deep.

God help us.

Back
Top Bottom