Am I a brat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excuse me for asking, but what was is "a shower"? Apart from the obvious, that you'd like to have a quick wash any day, even when you get married!

-I live in Norway, and I've just heard the expression in movies. I haven't got a clue what it is you don't want. Is it that bad?!

Well, I guess I spoke out of turn. I've never been to a bridal shower . . . go figure.

Didn't know you had to play stupid games, etc.

Sorry.

Chances are if you elope they'll just throw you a post-wedding shower.

Damned if you do . . . damned if you don't !

the K

Kompressor,

A "shower" is basically a party that is held in honor of a bride, or a mother-to-be. Traditionally, the guest list consisted of all women, and the party was usually a surprise. Gifts usually consists of things the person of honor will need after their upcoming event.

it's a party, sometimes as a surprise, where friends & family give gifts to the young girl just starting out in housekeeping by getting married - pots & pans, dishes, salt & pepper shakers, whatever - 'shower'ing her with gifts. sometimes they make you play stupid games or wear the package bows on your head. then you eat cake & have punch. it can be sweet, but the basic idea behind it isn't sound if a couple has been living together or the woman has been on her own for more than a few years or they already have two children or many other reasons. then again, a little sappiness & schmaltz doesn't hurt for long.

Showers are a tradition in the US and Canada where, about a month before the wedding, someone (usually someone standing up in the wedding, although we're not having anyone stand up in ours) throws a party for the bride. The bride registers at a store for the gifts she wants to receive (isn't that tacky) and then gets those (or other) gifts at the shower. It was meant to provide all the necessities to a new couple about to move into their first house/apartment together, but in this day and age where most couples already live together (or at least have separate housing of their own) it's kindof pointless IMHO.

(They are also thrown when a woman has a baby.)

BabyDuck:
close all the other registries & register on scubatoys.

LOL...Marry Me :wink:. I like the way you think...too funny. I'm still laughing and can just see it:

"Aunt Marge bought me a sausage...thanks Aunt Marge, hopefully I'll never have to use it!"

mars2u:
"Aunt Marge bought me a sausage...thanks Aunt Marge, hopefully I'll never have to use it!"

Heh, that's awesome!
...and believe me my Xmas list alone will keep ScubaToys in business :05:

OK, Baby Duck, the gauntlent has been cast down !!!!!

the K

my personal opinion with weddings is unless the bride is a total bridezilla - then things will get taken out of her hands and it becomes eveyone's wedding, not just the brides. hence why we eloped and we didnt tell anyone until we left the country and had a party when we came home.

best advise - its gone too far now so you are just going to make the best of it and keep smiling and say thankyou, it will all be over in a few hours so try to keep calm. maybe you can get gifts that would be good for local charities? blankets?

best of luck, its only for a few hours and then you have the actual wedding to look forward to, which is the best bit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom