Am I the only fat diver on earth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chantana

Reaction score
Okay, it is getting so irritating to go diving and be the only female that is not thin and wearing a bikini. I suppose I could wear a bikini, but I would scare myself and others. It's so frustrating too, to end up wearing men's wetsuits where the arms are too long and I have to roll them up like some kind of orphan diver. I hate wearing more weight too, although I put some of it in the back pockets of my BC so no one really knows. I'm also feeling like an old diver chick at just 29! Frustrating, frustrating! I guess I'll have to work harder to lose my body-integrated buoyancy devices! Thanks for listening to me rant!

There is nothing wrong with not wearing a bikini or wearing a mens wetsuit/drysuit.. I wear the mens gear and 41lbs in weight to sink.. doesn't bother me.. I could care less if other females are wearing bikinis.. to me.. I think it's pointless especially when diving.. but again that's my opinion. If you love the sport.. who cares how much weight you were to get negative, who cares what you look like. YOu love to dive and that's all that matters.. i may not be in the same situation, and I know it can be frustrating.. again I say.. you love to dive.

The simple answer to your question is NO...you are NOT the only woman of stature who dives! I see them all the time and whenever I run into a man or woman of stature I always encourage them to try diving.

It's great exercize for larger people as it isn't knee jarring and joint intensive like most other sports that leave you in pain.

Oh....an who cares if you don't dive in a bikini? It's not a fashion show! Cheer up & stop sweatin the small stuff...

Michelle

Chantana

You are NOT the only BBD (Big Beautiful Diver)! And we'll just leave it as I WISH I only weighed 150lb! :)

I also struggled with ill fitting equipment--but slowly and steadily put together a set up that was just right for me! Ive worked my way through the PADI cert process and now at 51 years of age, I have received my Instructor cert!

If you would like, PM me and I'll give you some hints on how I handle the weight issue, etc!

first off, 150 lbs is not qualify for fat. secondly just like everyone says this is not a fashion show its diving. as long as you are healthy and happy there is nothing wrong with your weight. otherwise start trying to take some off slowly. there is a excerise group here i think.

lol.. you wouldnt catch me in a bakini. i wore one once in mexico and felt like i was walking around in my underwear. diving is supposed to be fun, enjoy yourself and dont worry too much what other people think of you. you cant make up their minds for them anyways. besides, your good friends dont care how you look in a bakini, they like you for who you are.

dont stop diving!!!!!!!!! you will lose a little weight doing so!

I used to be so shy about wearing shorts! (I am not big, but not small either)....But I feel on the dive boat it's not like on the beach. Everybodies goal is to have a great dive and talk about it afterwards. That's all that matters. And the suit thing - The next step for you would be to get your own suit. There are places that offer custom suits that really don't cost much more than off the shelf ones. And you know what? Those really, really skinny ones are usually the ones that have to cut the dive early because they get cold - I'm happy for the little extra insulation! :wink:

I can think of at least one diver who is not thin but can dive circles around most of us. You can check out his story and web site at;
http://www.atlimp.com/dive.htm

While physical fittness is an important part of safe diving that does not mean someone has to be thin to dive safely.

A custom wetsuit will go a long way toward increasing your comfort.

chantana:
Okay, it is getting so irritating to go diving and be the only female that is not thin and wearing a bikini. I suppose I could wear a bikini, but I would scare myself and others. It's so frustrating too, to end up wearing men's wetsuits where the arms are too long and I have to roll them up like some kind of orphan diver. I hate wearing more weight too, although I put some of it in the back pockets of my BC so no one really knows. I'm also feeling like an old diver chick at just 29! Frustrating, frustrating! I guess I'll have to work harder to lose my body-integrated buoyancy devices! Thanks for listening to me rant!

Dont worry about it, life is to short just go out and do what makes you happy. Wet suit if you dont want to go to the expense of a custom suit take it to a tailors and have them cut it and have it serger (spelling) stiched on the cuff, this is what my wife did.
Be Happy and dive dive dive
David

I'm not terribly overweight, but I would like to not huff and puff during surface swims and I would like to not have to carry any more lead than needed.

You are not alone, Chantana. You have just voiced what so many of us feel!

QUOTE]I consider myself deliciously plump- rather than fat! Fat are the people that don't do anything! If you are out there diving, consider it insulation and concentrate on having fun under water. I too have had problems with my drysuit fitting right & spent several dives getting weighted properly. I figured out an undergarment system different than those generic fitting warmy-bears. I'm built differently than a man- why should I wear a man's style drysuit? I then began figuring out where to put the weights by changing a few pounds at various loccations on my BCD and using a weight belt. It's all about distribution. I like a combination of an integrated BCD, ankle weights and a weight belt. No particular area on my body is overweighted.

As far as being overweight is concerned, are you a physically strong person? Do you have swim stamina? If yes, don't worry about being what you might consider fat. Your level of comfort in a swimsuit is determined by your self image. I too used to be very hung up on looking good and being skinny. I was constantly struggling with fatness rather than loving life. Now I am a much calmer, more productive person in life and am focusing on things like where my next dive vacation will be (not how I will look in my bathing suit). I dive usually on the weekends with divers (men & women) of all sizes. Most all of us are after the same thing; a cool time under water enjoying the scenery. Get out there and enjoy life. Don't sweat the small stuff. Always remember, you're worth it baby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom