Ambon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, well, well, Assumption is the mother of all "fkups" as they say. I'm not here to be a keyboard warrior.
I have visited over fifty countries and have been diving for 18 years. I have also been privileged to have dived some of the best destinations on the Planet. I was not dissing the OP but just saying that if I'm travelling for a day and a half to dive somewhere and spending my hard earned cash, on my annual or bi annual dive trip, I want it to be better than "quite enjoyable"
Well well well it doesn't ooze from your (many) posts asking about anywhere in Asia. Looks like you missed Indonesia out of the "best destinations in the Planet" (sic).
The good thing is that you don't have to ask so often about almost any destination, can't imagine if you weren't so experienced and if you didn't accept that diving could be a hit or miss. .

Malapascua is incredible, nowhere else in the world can you consistently dive with T Sharks on a daily basis, I also love the locals and it's a lovely little island, granted the rest of the diving is crap but it's worth it for the Thresher sharks in my opinion.
As you say : your opinion.... personally I prefer threshers AND something else, especially when the thresher dives are organized like a circus right now. though YMMV.

until your last post I always considered you to be a valued member of that community.
Hoooo... is someone peeved in here? ... Get out of this body Donald Trump !

You may also recognize that when some poster above gives information about some place you asked for, he may not be sharing your telepathic thought about what is "a good dive",perhaps explaining what is your type of diving may help more than saying you're done with less than the "exceptional diving" that may be not everybody's assessment.

Ambon is one of my favourite places, with world class macro and some fantastic reef diving with comes laden with quality macro also. Although bigger stuff like hammers and whalesharks are around, they are uncommon, but some of the reefs around the outer islands e.g. Lease islands are top notch. The walls of molana I found stunning and in parts comparable to Komodo. I have been twice and usually split my time between the bay and the blue waters. Jumping from a psychedelic frogfish one day to a reef shark swimming over a pristine coral garden off the tranquil beaches of molana doesn't get much better.

"... granted the rest of the diving is crap ...".

I don't really want to get involved in this thread, but the rest of the diving on Malapascua is far better than 'crap'.

The reefs are ugly (all busted rocks - maybe because they're volcanic rock?), but the biodiversity is amazing - if you didn't experience that on your trip, then you were probably diving with the wrong people.

I saw loads of interesting things on EVERY dive in M.

The issue is isolation, so there's nothing else to do there, plus it's a pain in the ass to get to - but imo the overall diving in M is excellent.

I definitely want to go to Ambon for all the critters, fish and corals that people have been posted here and in other threads about Ambon. Lately my interest has shifted more towards big stuff, like wall of hammerheads. I went to Galapagos and was a bit disappointed about the wall seems to have been knocked over by the shark fanners. Then, I saw the White Manta video of Banda Sea. Ambon is the gateway to Banda Sea. So, Ambon, I'll see you in November. :D

This is what I call "great diving"

Only my opinion, Dan_T, but I call that "great diving" as well. This is an awesome video and the hammers seem as plentiful and close as my time at Cocos Island last year. The macro is none too shabby, either. Thanks for sharing.

Rob

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom