Spice Island Divers, Ambon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matts1w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Jakarta, Indonesia & Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am just winding down four days of diving with Spice Island Divers in Ambon. I will be the first to admit I was hesitant to return to Ambon, knowing the pandemic killed all tourism to Ambon, and my favorite dive op had called it quits. That being said, I have had a wonderful time with Spice Island Divers. The staff is excellent, my room is beautiful, the ac is cold, the water hot, and the food was far better than expected. The common areas and such are in the process of being updated and renovated after being dormant for so long. All the bungalows just got new metal roofs and look great. I know running a resort in Ambon is tricky, but it sure seems the owners are trying to do it right.

As for the diving...Ambon delivered as always. My guide, Alan, was on point and kept me busy. Not every dive was a home run, but quite a few were nonstop action. I will for sure be back.
IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg
A2E5A913-C60B-4F81-A1F3-5AA3E82A74F7.JPG
Ambon2003-2203.jpg
Ambon2003-2133.jpg
336477455_723511539256538_7616819270296142406_n.jpg
336421383_764655431553709_141241184144735465_n.jpg
335222601_615143203289579_5423092787296385604_n.jpg

Do you have any news on the current Ambonese dive scene and what is cooking.
Are BlueMotion/critterjunkies and Blue Rose still running?
Any idea when the french resort on the other side of the bay is scheduled to open : I know they're months late on their initial plan.

Do you have any news on the current Ambonese dive scene and what is cooking.
Are BlueMotion/critterjunkies and Blue Rose still running?
Any idea when the french resort on the other side of the bay is scheduled to open : I know they're months late on their initial plan.
I believe Blue Rose is open but I did not see another dive boat the entire time... There were only two other guests here but they said they are full next month.

We did a surface interval across the bay where the boat crew jumped off to talk to some people and told me they are building a new dive center. Based on what I saw, its going to be a while.

I am just winding down four days of diving with Spice Island Divers in Ambon. I will be the first to admit I was hesitant to return to Ambon, knowing the pandemic killed all tourism to Ambon, and my favorite dive op had called it quits. That being said, I have had a wonderful time with Spice Island Divers. The staff is excellent, my room is beautiful, the ac is cold, the water hot, and the food was far better than expected. The common areas and such are in the process of being updated and renovated after being dormant for so long. All the bungalows just got new metal roofs and look great. I know running a resort in Ambon is tricky, but it sure seems the owners are trying to do it right.

As for the diving...Ambon delivered as always. My guide, Alan, was on point and kept me busy. Not every dive was a home run, but quite a few were nonstop action. I will for sure be back.
View attachment 774761
View attachment 774762View attachment 774763View attachment 774764View attachment 774765View attachment 774766View attachment 774767View attachment 774768
Can you comment on sea view vs garden villa?
Thanks

Can you comment on sea view vs garden villa?
Thanks
I booked a garden room but when I arrived I was put in a sea view room there were only two other couples at the resort. I don't think the garden rooms were even open yet, as they looked pretty deserted. They are located quite far behind the other buildings, so I never saw them close up. If the resort was busy I think they would be fine as one could spend all their time in the nice "lounge" area overlooking the water. Hope that helps.

Hey Matt.
Thanks for the quick but super helpful trip report. Love the pics.
Did you take the kids with?
What was the snorkeling out in front of the resort like?
I went solo.

Snorkeling out front would be mostly sand, rocks, and probably not much else. I think it is safe to say if one isn't diving there isn't much else.

How does Ambon compare to other places in Indo ? have you dived R4 ? does anywhere compare to that ?

How does Ambon compare to other places in Indo ? have you dived R4 ? does anywhere compare to that ?
Ambon is world-class muck diving near a small city. One wouldn't compare it to R4.

Back
Top Bottom