Spice Island Divers, Ambon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done two liveaboards in Palau and it can be magical, more sharky than anywhere in Indo for sure, big schools also, if you want big stuff then I think Palau wins but for corals and macro and more balance then Komodo would probably beat it.

Palau is definitely more sharky, RA has significantly more bio diversity (esp. on the soft coral and macro side).

A good combination of the two is actually the Solomon Islands. More sharky and great macro. As an example Uepi Point makes Blue Corner look somewhat "average..." The Solomons is what PNG was like 20+ years ago.

However, for consistent big stuff, Cocos Island beats them all (huge number of sharks, but not a lot of diversity).

Palau is definitely more sharky, RA has significantly more bio diversity (esp. on the soft coral and macro side).

A good combination of the two is actually the Solomon Islands. More sharky and great macro. As an example Uepi Point makes Blue Corner look somewhat "average..." The Solomons is what PNG was like 20+ years ago.

However, for consistent big stuff, Cocos Island beats them all (huge number of sharks, but not a lot of diversity).
Is it possible to do the Solomons on a budget ? is there homestay possibilities etc or is there only a few operators and limited accommodation ?

I have been to Cocos 3 times. I think Malpelo is more fishy than Cocos. I'm going back to Malpelo in 2 weeks.

Malpelo is defo on my list 100% and I will go there before I depart this life, Cocos and Socorro also. Not the kind of place I can afford to visit every year unfortunately !!

@Dan
I've been to Malpelo as well (the first trip to Cocos was on the Sea Hunter, they offered a longer combination trip from Puntarenas-Malpelo-Cocos-Puntarenas.

Malpelo was good, but there is no shelter for the boat, and there were fewer hammerheads (although the sand tigers were easier to find)

Reactions: Dan
@Dan
I've been to Malpelo as well (the first trip to Cocos was on the Sea Hunter, they offered a longer combination trip from Puntarenas-Malpelo-Cocos-Puntarenas.

Malpelo was good, but there is no shelter for the boat, and there were fewer hammerheads (although the sand tigers were easier to find)

Good timing! Nowadays, only boats coming from Colombia (Buenaventura) are allowed to go to Malpelo ever since this accident happened, 4 diveres went missing - Malpelo, Colombia So I only know Ferox from Malpelo Island Scuba Diving | Colombia Dive Adventures is going to Malpelo.

When I was there a couple years ago, Ferox sheltered around north tip of the island since the current was coming from the south.

I haven't seen Ferox (Sand Tiger Shark) in Malpelo. However, we can see them much easier in North Carolina.

Good timing! Nowadays, only boats coming from Colombia (Buenaventura) are allowed to go to Malpelo ever since this accident happened, 4 diveres went missing - Malpelo, Colombia So I only know Ferox from Malpelo Island Scuba Diving | Colombia Dive Adventures is going to Malpelo.

When I was there a couple years ago, Ferox sheltered around north tip of the island since the current was coming from the south.

I haven't seen Ferox (Sand Tiger Shark) in Malpelo. However, we can see them much easier in North Carolina.

I'm voting for a deeper dive at Bajo del Monstruo, how about you? Just a little over 2 weeks to go.

Reactions: Dan
I'm voting for a deeper dive at Bajo del Monstruo, how about you? Just a little over 2 weeks to go.

Good idea! Me too! I'll be right next to you, good buddy!

Thanks for the post! Will be diving with Spice Island in Ambon at the end of October before boarding a liveaboard in Saumlaki. Really looking forward to the trip.

I assume you'll be on Forgotten Island trip? October is good timing to be in Banda Sea for whales migration, better than my trip there, last April.

Last November I was able to free dive with whales in Banda Sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom