Anilao Dive Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I am saying is that we get variable rates... which I wish was not so. The reason we get variable rates is not our fault nor should it be our problem to solve. The resorts should do something to make it more convenient for guests. If it was more convenient, more guests will come. 2 people already said the reason they don't come is because of the confusing rates. How many more are silent about it and don't go.

The reason why there is no night life in Anilao is because there are no guests to fill up the bars and restos during the week. The reason why there are no guest is because it is "expensive" to dive in Anilao during weekdays where there are not other divers. The reason why it is expensive to dive during the week is because there are no fixed rates... only variable rates. PG is full even on weekdays. Anilao can be the same too (hopefully more beautiful)... if only resorts made it easier to dive any day.

The boats charge a lot because they only make money on weekends. No divers on weekdays. I am quite sure that if diving rates were fixed at a reasonable price... Anilao will get weekday divers as well... maybe not immediately but I am sure it will get to a point where the fixed prices will prove itself effective (it works everywhere else in the Philippines and the world). I really don't see why it can't work in Anilao.

Xizang mentioned that the locals refocused resources towards tourism... But I don't see tourism being pushed by locals... except for some resorts. (Solana does a good job).

I am not saying prices should be ridiculously high. It should be reasonable. I am sure prices will go up if rates are fixed... but it should go up only a reasonable amount.

Resorts will be forced to market themselves (thus promote tourism) to make sure that they have the minimum number of divers to ensure they don't lose money by offering fixed rates. Everyone will up their ante. Anilao will prosper.

I may be dreaming.

Even if it is the resorts who are handling the organizing, I think it is good that the locals are involved as opposed to the resorts getting their own boats. Truly grassroots tourism.

I do agree with everyone - Anilao is really geared towards the locals in that you need to know or know someone who knows how to get there (no signs) and you need to get your own group of divers together. Or you can go with a group (ie Divenet, Scuba1.net, kiko's fleet) who will do it for you. But then again, international tourists can call the resort directly - they won't get as cheap a rate as the locals but it will be comparable to diving other regions in the PI.

So even if Anilao does offer fixed diving rates, will that guarantee an influx in tourism? Easier accessibility would also be nice. Now that the new star tollway extension is complete, how about they put up signs now! :)

And thanks Xizang for the history of Anilao.

Chip104,
I never proposed that resorts take away the boat business from the locals. They can and should still use local boats. The diving rates should just be fixed instead of variable. Boatmen will be able to lower their charges because they will be servicing divers more often as compared to only on weekends. This is the reason why boat fees are expensive... they have to charge a lot because they only have divers 8 days a month.

Nothing is sure in this world... but I can guarantee that fixed rates will encourage the influx of tourism. Simple proof.... 2 forum members are turned off with Anilao and refuse to go there because of variable diving costs.

Imagine yourself calling a resort in Anilao and asking how much diving will cost... the answer you will get is.."How many divers will your group be?" and you say "Huh? Does it matter how many we are? Don't you have fixed prices?" Its such a turn off.... as compared to "Maam.... our dive rates are xxxx for boat dive and yyyy for shore dives." Simple right.

.... but the PPD is here. lots of people to dive with and share costs.

That's not neccesarily true. I posted just over a week ago, that I would be in the Philippines 1-15 June. That I was planning on being in Anilao the first week and probably PG the second. I left an open invitation to anyone who wanted to come dive with me. I didn't get a single response.

I'm going to have to pay an extra $15 per dive if I'm the only one on the boat over and above what I'm already paying at Club Ocellaris who gave me the best rate for a package. Even if I end up paying the extra $60 per day to dive by myself they were still the best rate.

I'll likely end up spending less time in Anilao and more in PG because I can dive a lot more cheaply in PG.

I paid a flat 750 pesos per dive when I was in Moalboal. Boat dive, shore dive, night dive... didn't matter. I made 14 dives in four days. 4 night dives (all from shore of course), 1 shore dive (last morning I was there), and all the rest were boat dives. I was often the only person on the boat and I didn't pay anything extra.

I was offered a flat rate of $20 dollars per dive when I was planning my trip to Southern Leyte in February which I had to cancel because of work. My point is that for me coming there to dive and not being a local, there are plenty of places where my money will go further and which also have great diving.

I want to dive Anilao because of it's reputation. I'll stay at least 4 days and will get in at least 16 dives. Then I'll go to PG where I can dive 5 times a day for less money for the rest of my trip.

I really don't think I'll dive Anilao again in the future, just because it's so expensive for me to go there and dive by myself. If I happen to hook up with someone from Manila and I manage to get there on the right day to match their schedule, then maybe....

Once I've dived all the major dive destinations in the Philippines and I start making repeat trips to places I've dived already, I suspect I'll end up somewhere in the Visayas where things seem to be much more reasonable. I doubt that I would come back other than to dive with someone that I knew there.

the problem with anilao is the lack of a nice sandy beach. tourist who travel halfway around the world do not want to stay at the resort for a week doing nothing but diving, eating, sleeping and drinking. they would want to walk on the beach and eat at the small nice italian restaurant, drink at some girly bar, watch the sunset in med style coffee house. anilao cannot offer this because there is no nice beach to lounge and laze around and watch the sunset. at best what could probably be developed is the area along the main road or the small stretch of rocky beach in the solana el pinoy area. girly bars, italian restaurants, coffee shops, is what is needed for tourist to stay longer.
80% of anilao divers are manila based and majority of them are filipinos. for an operator to make decent profit from diving operations they will have to charge P1,000 at the minimum. If resorts charge this fixed, that would mean paying significantly less if a diver is alone but significantly higher if there are 7 people on the boat compared to how charging is being done now. How many manila based divers are willing to pay P1,000 per dive even if there are 7 people on the boat? I'm sure everyone is willing to pay P1,000 if they are diving alone :)
The anilao charging is beneficial to the thrifty manila based divers because it lowers cost. Fix charging is good for consistency and simplicity for foreign and single guest but at P1,000 minimum per dive even with a boat full, will that be ok with 80% of the anilao clientele?

Chip104,
I never proposed that resorts take away the boat business from the locals. They can and should still use local boats. The diving rates should just be fixed instead of variable. Boatmen will be able to lower their charges because they will be servicing divers more often as compared to only on weekends. This is the reason why boat fees are expensive... they have to charge a lot because they only have divers 8 days a month.

Nothing is sure in this world... but I can guarantee that fixed rates will encourage the influx of tourism. Simple proof.... 2 forum members are turned off with Anilao and refuse to go there because of variable diving costs.

Imagine yourself calling a resort in Anilao and asking how much diving will cost... the answer you will get is.."How many divers will your group be?" and you say "Huh? Does it matter how many we are? Don't you have fixed prices?" Its such a turn off.... as compared to "Maam.... our dive rates are xxxx for boat dive and yyyy for shore dives." Simple right.

Hanna_Banana,

I did not suggest that you proposed that point regarding the local bangkeros in your previous post. I am merely making kuwento. Wala lang.

Will providing a fixed rate guarantee more tourism? maybe, maybe not. I'm still not sold on the issue but you are right in saying that it will make the pricing a lot easier to deal with. Some divers will definitely find that attractive.

You put up this thread to share your thoughts, which were very insightful. Now I am just sharing mine.

there are several resorts in anilao that do charge on a per dive. solana, eagle point, sunbeam do this. I think these resorts are an option for the single diver or the traveller looking for straightforwad charging.

That's not neccesarily true. I posted just over a week ago, that I would be in the Philippines 1-15 June. That I was planning on being in Anilao the first week and probably PG the second. I left an open invitation to anyone who wanted to come dive with me. I didn't get a single response.

I'm going to have to pay an extra $15 per dive if I'm the only one on the boat over and above what I'm already paying at Club Ocellaris who gave me the best rate for a package. Even if I end up paying the extra $60 per day to dive by myself they were still the best rate.

I'll likely end up spending less time in Anilao and more in PG because I can dive a lot more cheaply in PG.
really? now where is that thread of yours (looking looking :wink:)

I suggest that resorts make fixed rates a but more than 500 per dive... maybe 600 or 700 per dive but it should not be dependent on the number of divers. It should be the resort's problem to come up with the minimum number of divers... not ours. It would be nice to walk into a resort and dive a rate that is not dependent on how many you are.

My point exactly... dive sites in Anilao are farther away (compared to PG) and yet prices are the cheapest in the country. Are the boats in Anilao inferior to PG? Are the tanks in Anilao inferior to PG? Are the DM in Anilao inferior to PG? If the answer to the above 3 questions are a resounding NO... then why are Anilao rates below par with the rest of the country? Maybe if resorts charged properly (fixed rate) they will have the resources to improve their diving facilities.

This is exactly the problem is. Prices are dependent on how many divers are in our group. It is so difficult to come up with a working budget as compared to fixed rates in PG. I can walk into a shop alone and dive... and prices are constant.

Don't misunderstand me. I am extremely happy with the low prices in Anilao. I am just not too hot about knowing that diving costs can and will change anytime a diver decides to skip a dive or decides to cut the weekend short and do a daytrip instead of overnight. All of this can me avoided if resorts charged a reasonable fixed rate (maybe a bit higher) and make it their problem to come up with the optimum number of guests.... much like a buffet.... one price/same price for everyone... whether the group is big or not. So easy. So convenient.

Resorts can charge fixed rate for shore entry dives and fixed rate for boat dives.

I think it will all balance out in the long run but it will be more convenient for everyone.
be careful what you wish for girl...

personally i like anilao's relatively low rates... if i have to dive with a group then so be it...

it makes diving more affordable - if i wanted to pay $22/ dive i'll go to PG... or boracay or everywhere else in the country

if i end up in balai w/o a group i do shore entries... no boat, just pay for tanks... don't even need a DM if i've got a buddy with me (twin rocks, bebot's, dead palm lang naman so no major need for a DM)

would YOU pay $22 for a shore entry you could do on your own? pay for a boat you pass as you enter the water? lugi diba?

and why on god's good earth are you out to make diving MORE expensive??? hello!

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom