Anilao Dive Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the problem with anilao is the lack of a nice sandy beach. tourist who travel halfway around the world do not want to stay at the resort for a week doing nothing but diving, eating, sleeping and drinking. they would want to walk on the beach and eat at the small nice italian restaurant, drink at some girly bar, watch the sunset in med style coffee house. anilao cannot offer this because there is no nice beach to lounge and laze around and watch the sunset. at best what could probably be developed is the area along the main road or the small stretch of rocky beach in the solana el pinoy area. girly bars, italian restaurants, coffee shops, is what is needed for tourist to stay longer.
80% of anilao divers are manila based and majority of them are filipinos. for an operator to make decent profit from diving operations they will have to charge P1,000 at the minimum. If resorts charge this fixed, that would mean paying significantly less if a diver is alone but significantly higher if there are 7 people on the boat compared to how charging is being done now. How many manila based divers are willing to pay P1,000 per dive even if there are 7 people on the boat? I'm sure everyone is willing to pay P1,000 if they are diving alone :)
The anilao charging is beneficial to the thrifty manila based divers because it lowers cost. Fix charging is good for consistency and simplicity for foreign and single guest but at P1,000 minimum per dive even with a boat full, will that be ok with 80% of the anilao clientele?
In Anilao I usually expect to pay around ~P2000 for 3 dives, lunch, DM, and boat. That comes out to around ~P670 per dive. Subic can be as cheap as P750 / dive but I have yet to go there and some can argue that it is easier to get to than Anilao. Puerto Galera can be as low as P900 / dive. The same rate can be gotten in Bohol.

This goes back to the previous point made about why is it that much more expensive in Anilao if it changes to a fix rate? Is it the lack of international tourism? It certainly can't be the white sand, or thriving night life area. Assuming that it is international tourism, then fixed pricing might be better in the long run (assuming that it will lead to increased tourism), since the fixed rates may be driven down with the increase in tourism and competition.

really? now where is that thread of yours (looking looking :wink:)

It's slipped to page 2 due to lack of response :D

I agree. Rates are really confusing... but I have gotten used to it. I just bring a lot more contingency fund than what I am actually comfortable with. The diving is just too good to pass up because of this inconvenience. But yes... it will be much better if rates were easier to understand.

Jigo.... I have reliable dive buddies... but one cannot control all situations... I have had several instances when a dive buddy's family member got into some form emergency that one of the divers in the group had to go home immediately. That left us with a more expensive dive bill than originally planned. So one of our dive buddies had to borrow money from us because he was not prepared for the sudden price adjustment of dive rates... all because the number of divers changed.
Sometimes I feel pressured to dive even if I don't feel like it anymore because I am worried that my skipping the dive will affect the dive costs of my buddies.

I do not agree that it is not the resorts problem. It should be their problem not ours (we are paying guests).

But Don't worry... I don't think resorts will be changing their policies about pricing anytime soon... as they will be up against a big wall of protests. I just wish that things were more simple and convenient.

Clgsamson... thanks for the offer. I might take you up on your offer someday. I am not diving this weekend.

Although This is exactly my point..... someone still have to "organize" the dive. One cannot simply go there and dive.

There must be a way for resorts to give good rates without the inconvenience of variable pricing. Then I think people like greatwolf will be more enticed to coming to Anilao. I think this will be a win-win formula.

Then again... who am I to say.... I am just a casual diver.
my take is this... the dive rates (low or high) are everyone's problem... save for foreign divers who prefer to dive among themselves only i have yet to see a boat of filipinos who will turn down an extra diver who will help cut down their costs...

ask the resort you're going to for a head's up on who's going... you might just get a boat looking to hitch an extra diver or 2... you make new friends pa

or again, like me, if it looks like i'm going to anilao solo, i choose a resort with good shore entry options - so i don't get to do beatriz (so?) i can do it next time

Jag

my take is this... the dive rates (low or high) are everyone's problem... save for foreign divers who prefer to dive among themselves only
Jag

Really do you think so? That seems very odd to me that someone would pass up the opportunity to dive with someone local... especially if they'll save money by doing so.

I'm always happy to dive with anyone. I dive more with my Japanese buddies here in Japan than I do my American ones.

lemme guess...they bring a lot of sushis and sashimis for the SI:D

Believe it or not we usually go do a dive early in the morning on the weekends and then go out breakfast after (temps are just now getting up to 15C) We usually have bacon and eggs with Texas Toast with our coffee :D And yes it's a Japanese restraunt chain that we usually go to :wink:

Back
Top Bottom