Animal Encounters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ben_wilson3301

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I get this question all the time in various forms. What do I do if I see a shark(eel, barracuda)? I know the PADI answer, I know what I tell them, the question to all of you....

What do you tell people to do if an animal is taking a little too much interest in you? Besides take pictures :)

The most aggressive animals we have here are the titan triggerfish, and they can do some serious damage. Typically they are most hostile when protecting eggs. What I do is to keep an eye out for them, and if I see one in the nest-guarding posture, I take a huge detour around the fish's territory. In other words, I do everything possible not to antagonize dangerous marine life. I don't tease barracuda by making the sunlight glint off a knife, I don't stick my hand in the eel's den or pull its tail to get it to come out, I never try to ride a shark (as we saw some stupid guy do in a recent youtube clip).... in other words, I afford the animals the same degree of respect that I wish for them to give me. After all, we are very, very big in relation to most marine life, and animals will not normally attack a potential foe as large as we are without provocation.

I treat all marine life like I would a large dog that I don't know. It may be friendly but best to keep my hands to myself. Keep an eye on him and don't do anything to antagonize the situation...and keep the camera rolling. :camera::shark2:

its the same response given to the question: "what do you do if you encounter a bear?" when I hunt, or for that matter, what to you do if you encounter a crazy person on the sidewalk......

as said above: don't do anything to antagonize the situation ​(wildlife encounters can be an awesome thing, wild people........)

I haven't had this happen... if I did I'd probably smile and laugh or pee myself, depending upon the creature. The rule of "leave no trace" applies underwater as well as it does above the surface. Give animals (all animals) their due respect and act like a visitor to their house and you're likely never to have a problem.

I like to tell people that animals don't just attack, especially divers, we're big, strange, and have bubbles flying out of our head. So if you're lucky enough to see a big animal that scares you, get vertical and get big. They will take off for sure. Most animals in the wild are horizontal. Never bolt to the surface.

It makes them feel like they have a plan.

As Quero has pointed out, probably the most commonly encountered agressive animal is the Titan Trigger. The warning signs are pretty easy to spot as it'll be chasing other fish around... so don't approach it.

Unexpected aggression is difficult to predict. A punch to the head, followed by getting out of the area works but it is so rare, that I don't 'teach' people anything.

I've never been aggressed by a shark but AFAIK it is important to not lose sight of it. Get to the wall if possible and get out of Dodge.

Titan trigger fish and mantis shrimp are the only animals that have ever given me any grief.

Back
Top Bottom