Ankle weight user poll

Do you use ankle weights and if so with what type of exposure suit?

• I use them only with wetsuits

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i use them when in diving in the tropics and wearing a p2 suit, use them at home in a 5mm, use them in cold water when diving a drysuit and i use them when diving with both ali and steel tanks

again i wonder - why does it bother other divers so much if people choose to wear ankle weights

i wonder if they are as nosey/opiniionated with their neighbours :D

Fusion drysuit w/thick undergarment. 31lbs lead plus BP/W. Fins are barely negative. Once I figured out my trim vis-a-vis the plate, I didn't need 4 lbs trimmed out on my ankles, 3 feet away from my centre of buoyancy. I moved 1 or 2 lbs from my shoulders a little further down my back. It is much much nicer to not have to swim against those weights, or have them when I walk around.

I'm hoping that I've solved my floaty feet problem in my drysuit by using gaiters. Have only done one dive with gaiters so far but seemed to be a significant improvement.

So (at this stage) I don't need ankle weights.

Some people seem to have a real hang up about how much lead they carry and where. If you need it, you need it. Just put it on an have fun.

I'm hoping that I've solved my floaty feet problem in my drysuit by using gaiters. Have only done one dive with gaiters so far but seemed to be a significant improvement.

Yea that is about the only thing I have not tried. But, don't want to fork out the money just yet, want to try them first :) Won't solve my need to wear them on shallow dives with my wetsuit though...

Some people seem to have a real hang up about how much lead they carry and where. If you need it, you need it. Just put it on an have fun.

Yea I don't get why people care. But I guess people get really hung up on fin type and whether people carry snorkels, so ankle weights are just another one of those :rofl3:

Ok then, 300bar. Tell me what I am doing wrong then:

I have
-Jet Fins
-Tank as low as possible (either steel 12 or steel 10)
-Weight on a weight belt
-I DIVE, DIVE and dive some more
-have done a weight check

:rofl3: You're gonna hate me for this.:D

You're a woman.

O well you didn't tell what was wrong with your trim,but I just guess you have floaty feet.:blinking:
Women seem to have a HEAVY brain.:D
So head goes down.:rofl3:

NO I'm not kidding you,there realy seems to be a female "problem"
My wife had the same "problem" but now she only wears ankle weights in the pool,during training(she's a OWSI as well) and just for keeping that "nice"Buhda look hover.:shakehead:

BTW there's a GIANT diference in those steel 12L tanks.
Depending on your sixe.
12 L long or short.
If you're over 1.7m(aprox) DON'T use the 12L short(dumpy).:shakehead:
It will put you off balance.Your center of balance is way to high.

Also here goes,:worthless:

Yea that is about the only thing I have not tried. But, don't want to fork out the money just yet, want to try them first :) Won't solve my need to wear them on shallow dives with my wetsuit though...

Yea I don't get why people care. But I guess people get really hung up on fin type and whether people carry snorkels, so ankle weights are just another one of those :rofl3:

I don't really care what people dive, but I do find it odd when people shell out big bucks on fins that are positive(one of the points they'll use to sell them) and then slap ankle weight on to control their floating feet.

I was going to suggest you are trapping air from your knees down, but if you're having the same issue diving wet, that's not likely the case. How tall are you? I have a petite, short young lady in my current class and she's been a challenge to trim out. Kinda like trimming out a peanut.

I use an ankle weight near my valve in the pool when I'm teaching. It trims out the rental poodle jacket and al80 I use in the pool.

:rofl3: You're gonna hate me for this.:D

You're a woman.

Hmm I see. I think a sex change is going a bit far to get rid of my ankle weights so I'll keep them around :wink:

O well you didn't tell what was wrong with your trim,but I just guess you have floaty feet.:blinking:
Women seem to have a HEAVY brain.:D
So head goes down.:rofl3:

My trim is fine with ankle weights and I can hover without finning. Without, I go feet up unless I wear ankle weights or I fin constantly.

NO I'm not kidding you,there realy seems to be a female "problem"
My wife had the same "problem" but now she only wears ankle weights in the pool,during training(she's a OWSI as well) and just for keeping that "nice"Buhda look hover.:shakehead:

BTW there's a GIANT diference in those steel 12L tanks.
Depending on your sixe.
12 L long or short.
If you're over 1.7m(aprox) DON'T use the 12L short(dumpy).:shakehead:
It will put you off balance.Your center of balance is way to high.

Also here goes,:worthless:

I have 12L Fabers, slightly longer than my 10L. I don't need to wear ankle weights wearing an AL80. I had the worst floaty feet with twin 7s (232 bar).

What do you want pictures of?? I am confused :rofl3:

I don't really care what people dive, but I do find it odd when people shell out big bucks on fins that are positive(one of the points they'll use to sell them) and then slap ankle weight on to control their floating feet.

I was going to suggest you are trapping air from your knees down, but if you're having the same issue diving wet, that's not likely the case. How tall are you? I have a petite, short young lady in my current class and she's been a challenge to trim out. Kinda like trimming out a peanut.

I use an ankle weight near my valve in the pool when I'm teaching. It trims out the rental poodle jacket and al80 I use in the pool.

I have negative fins. And I'm 178cm so I am tall for a female :).

Last edited:
Sure I use ankle weights...just not on my ankles.

They are nice when someone needs to add a couple of lbs, you just clip them on. Also working on trim you can throw a few pounds on the tank neck to help someone get horizontal.

ditto here---mine go somewhere(when I use them) north of the border, around the upper tank area......

Back
Top Bottom