Ankle weight user poll

Do you use ankle weights and if so with what type of exposure suit?

• I use them only with wetsuits

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea that is about the only thing I have not tried. But, don't want to fork out the money just yet, want to try them first :) Won't solve my need to wear them on shallow dives with my wetsuit though...

Out of curiosity, do you use your drysuit for buoyancy, rather than your wing? If you kept a little more of a squeeze on your drysuit, would you have the floaty feet issue??

I have never needed ankle weights. With my crushed neo drysuit or my 7mm wetsuit, jet fins, HP130, and whatever weight I need based on my exposure protection, I have never had real issues with floaty feet. The only time I've had any floaty feet issues was when I put too much air in my drysuit and had it migrate to my feet....I now keep a little more of a squeeze, but not so much that I'm not warm and comfortable.

Out of curiosity, do you use your drysuit for buoyancy, rather than your wing? If you kept a little more of a squeeze on your drysuit, would you have the floaty feet issue??

I use wing. Only use drysuit to offset squeeze.

I have never needed ankle weights. With my crushed neo drysuit or my 7mm wetsuit, jet fins, HP130, and whatever weight I need based on my exposure protection, I have never had real issues with floaty feet. The only time I've had any floaty feet issues was when I put too much air in my drysuit and had it migrate to my feet....I now keep a little more of a squeeze, but not so much that I'm not warm and comfortable.

Cool, you are lucky :)

Yea that is about the only thing I have not tried. But, don't want to fork out the money just yet, want to try them first :)

Was that :) meaning you would like to borrow mine? :D

You're more than welcome if you do, it's just getting them to you which is the problem because you live on the wrong, sorry other, side of the city. Unless you want to go for a nice drive outa the big smoke!

Have you tried my you-beaut' duct tape gaiters yet to see if it makes a diff?

Was that :) meaning you would like to borrow mine? :D

You're more than welcome if you do, it's just getting them to you which is the problem because you live on the wrong, sorry other, side of the city. Unless you want to go for a nice drive outa the big smoke!

Have you tried my you-beaut' duct tape gaiters yet to see if it makes a diff?

:rofl3: Nah it wasn't, you need them! I was actually thinking of trying your awesome duct tape gaiters first :wink: How well did that mimic your actual gaiters? I might do it tonight actually - Mike has his new drysuit too so we can fool around with stuff like that. But thanks for the offer anyway :)

Yeah, the duct tape works. Gaiters work better. It really depends on how much tape you wrap you wrap around. I just used thin electrical tape the time I did it and I only gave it a few quick turns around each calf. So the suit was still ballooning a little in between the tape, if you get what I mean.

If you take a couple of minutes to wrap the tape properly to simulate gaiters then I can't see why it would work just as well for a trail.

M's got his drysuit already? That was a fast 3 weeks!!

Yeah, the duct tape works. Gaiters work better. It really depends on how much tape you wrap you wrap around. I just used thin electrical tape the time I did it and I only gave it a few quick turns around each calf. So the suit was still ballooning a little in between the tape, if you get what I mean.

If you take a couple of minutes to wrap the tape properly to simulate gaiters then I can't see why it would work just as well for a trail.

Ok cool, will try that to see if they are worth buying. Too bad I don't have black tape like you used... it will be more obvious I am swimming around with tape around my legs. :wink: Like when Paul wanted to fix his glove holes> Pic

Duct tape = awesome.

M's got his drysuit already? That was a fast 3 weeks!!

:rofl3: I know! I didn't think he would last three weeks... I think he is sick of being the one to call dives from the cold... and then shivering in the carpark whilst we bask in the warmth of our thermals :D

My nose is twitching.

Anyways. Ankle weights make great trim weights. Easy to wrap around a tank valve.

Ok then, 300bar. Tell me what I am doing wrong then:

I have
-Jet Fins
-Tank as low as possible (either steel 12 or steel 10)
-Weight on a weight belt
-I DIVE, DIVE and dive some more
-have done a weight check

I would offer to help ween you off your ankle weights, but the last time I did that...it didn't go over so well.

I have 12L Fabers, slightly longer than my 10L. I don't need to wear ankle weights wearing an AL80. I had the worst floaty feet with twin 7s (232 bar).
So heavy things(tanks) make you TOP heavy.Jiust shft the weight.

What do you want pictures of?? I am confused :rofl3:
You,I need them for profesional diagnosis.:D had to ask,otherwise Mrs.A would kill me.:rofl4:

I have negative fins. And I'm 178cm so I am tall for a female :).
Don't use those dumpy tanks,but it seems you don't your 12's being longer then the 10's

300bar, in my sig there is a link to my pictures. Click that and go to the 'Divers' set. Plenty of pics of me for you to diagnose my issues :) Might be easier than posting a bunch here.

If I am feet heavy, I do not wear ankle weights and make other adjustments.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom