Another Cozumel noob looking for advice from the regulars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And you know what else? Truth be told, after an hour or so, I'm ready to come up and breathe some uncanned air. I'm wrinkled like a prune, my teeth don't fit together right, and I'm way up in the yellow on my computer.

I wear loads of neoprene so I'm good for a couple of hours.

I learned when backrolling to straighten my legs, because one time I smacked a calf on the side of the boat.
"Why do you roll backwards?"

"It hurts if you roll forwards - clunk!"

P.S.: I learned when backrolling to straighten my legs, because one time I smacked a calf on the side of the boat.

Like a baby steer? Avoid back roll when diving from a cattle boat, or during a cattle drive for that matter to avoid them calves.

Well I booked my trip! Woohoo! I wanted to wait until after June 2, which was "Ditch Work and Dive Day" out here in SoCal. I joined the crew out at Catalina Island, and was able to do two dives - my first since my back surgery. Everything went swimmingly, so now I feel very confident that I can dive in Cozumel with a minimum of assistance (I will still need some).

I'm booked at the Cozumel Palace July 1-10. I managed to get first-class flights using points, so we'll get to travel in style :).

I haven't yet selected the dive op - I'm going down to the SCUBA show in Long Beach tomorrow and plan on stopping by Aldora's booth to have a chat with them, and I'll do some more research on LU.

Anyone going to be in Cozumel during this time?

We'll just miss you - we arrive on July 10 & are staying at our condo next door to CZM Palace (El Cantil).

Just curious, but why do you want to dive steel tanks just after back surgery?

You & your mom have a great time!

Just curious, but why do you want to dive steel tanks just after back surgery?

I'm used to steel - that's what I own, that's what my gear and weights are set up for. I use a BP/W rig, so I prefer to have the weight on my back rather than in the weight pouches. I feel more stable under water, better trim. Plus, more air = longer bottom times, of course! :) I imagine with steel 120's I'll get a nice long dive.

Okay, makes sense.

I dive with a Halcyon rig and wear a weight belt only in the CZM winter when I've got my 5 mil on. Otherwise I just throw a few lbs into my weight pouches that are on either side of the top tank band.

Used to dive the big tanks (120s) then went to the 94/90s and now 80s seem to hold all the air we need. Also, my wife was seriously overweighted with the steel tanks (she uses no weight when diving with her 5X7 mil suit). Now she dives with a 60 cf tank when it's available & comes back with lots of air.

We'll just miss you - we arrive on July 10 & are staying at our condo next door to CZM Palace (El Cantil).

Hola David! Looks like we will overlap for just a few days since I leave on the 14th but maybe we can get in a few dives together. Heather is staying on for a couple weeks more after I leave though. See you at the pool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom