Another DIVE Shop closes it's doors. :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, again it’s probably time to bring up the point that “Brick and Mortar” stores can not compete with Internet Stores…and this is especially true with Local Dive Shops (LDS).

The problem is most LDS have “loss leaders” with their OW Certs and Air fills; hoping that they will foster loyal local clientele that will make purchases, because LDS can not pay their lease and salary to provide you with cheap air and certifications. Now, granted, LDS need to be somewhat competitive in their prices, but they will never be able to provide cheaper prices than the Internet shops that have a larger clientele and buy in larger quantities and therefore get better pricing.

But does the local diver go to get their air fills and have annual repairs done…their LDS.

Sea-d-Sea offered some of the best prices in OW Certs and Air fills….their “marked” retail prices weren’t so competitive…but if you knew Barry and his thinking the “marked” prices weren’t necessarily the “final” price. He would discount that “marked” price to loyal and repeat customers…and huge discounts for divers that got certified there. However (and I love Barry) he didn’t understand (or didn’t want to omit) that customers would come in “look” and the “marked” price (not wanting to engage in conversation) and go online shopping for the best price. Barry was “old school” and believed in conversing with patrons that walked in. That was the demise in this LDS.

So, it’s NOT really an option to come in and buy a LDS like Sea-d-Sea, unless you want to lose lots of money. The only thing that will be left will be Internet Stores (paying no sales taxes) and Large Corporate Shops; like Sports Chalet and Dive and Surf (really supported by their Body Glove brand).

God help us local divers looking for an air fill or simple repair.

Sea-d-Sea offered some of the best prices in OW Certs and Air fills….their “marked” retail prices weren’t so competitive…but if you knew Barry and his thinking the “marked” prices weren’t necessarily the “final” price. He would discount that “marked” price to loyal and repeat customers…and huge discounts for divers that got certified there. However (and I love Barry) he didn’t understand (or didn’t want to omit) that customers would come in “look” and the “marked” price (not wanting to engage in conversation) and go online shopping for the best price. Barry was “old school” and believed in conversing with patrons that walked in. That was the demise in this LDS.

God help us local divers looking for an air fill or simple repair.

LDS/Internet is not either/or and any store can implement a web store anytime. One of the most successful stores online is bricks and mortar... Dive Right In Scuba.

LDS/Internet is not either/or and any store can implement a web store anytime. One of the most successful stores online is bricks and mortar... Dive Right In Scuba.

And my point 1.3 is Barry was "old school" and didn't change with time. It's different running an internet store and an old brick store....Barry (like many old timers) never made that change to cyber.

And my point 1.3 is Barry was "old school" and didn't change with time. It's different running an internet store and an old brick store....Barry (like many old timers) never made that change to cyber.

Not to mention that he isn't exactly in the best of health.

Barry, a good man running a good customer centered store for quite some timel

Well best of luck to Barry. Jake is off to Oregon in a few weeks to start a new life transiting from scuba instructor to rancher. Barry brought some perspective and practicality earned with time to his operation which is lacking in some of the other other LDSs. American Diving shut down shut down back in 2006 so that pretty much leaves Dive N Surf or a trek to Pacific Wilderness or Ocean Adventures or (shudder) Sports Chalet.

Well best of luck to Barry. Jake is off to Oregon in a few weeks to start a new life transiting from scuba instructor to rancher. Barry brought some perspective and practicality earned with time to his operation which is lacking in some of the other other LDSs. American Diving shut down shut down back in 2006 so that pretty much leaves Dive N Surf or a trek to Pacific Wilderness or Ocean Adventures or (shudder) Sports Chalet.

...or Eco Dive Center. After Sea d Sea, Sport Chalet is the most convenient shop for me, and while I don't find it horrible, I certainly find it sterile. I'll keep a positive outlook that perhaps one of the already running shops might find it useful as a satellite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom