Another how many. Who is a Mac user and who is a PC user?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After buying 4 apples in the late 70's-early 80's (ii+, iie, iic, iigs), I wouldn't touch a mac with a 10' pole.
whatever do the old apples have to do with current Macs?

both for me.

As an IT person I agree that macs suck in the enterprise but I would not go so far to say that they do not have value. that is almost flame bait.:14:

I didn't say they had no value - I said they had no value outside of the home. They're pretty good for home use, especially for people with little computer experience. Maybe I should have said "no value in a multi-user facility" to be clear...

Anyways, I'm not an IT guy; its not even part of my job description. I'm simply the poor sap that all the computer illiterate here go to when they do something dumb...

Bryan

I didn't say they had no value - I said they had no value outside of the home. They're pretty good for home use, especially for people with little computer experience. Maybe I should have said "no value in a multi-user facility" to be clear...
I've worked in software for a long time, and that's bunk. Like most things Macs have their pros and cons. And I'll grant you Macs in a corporate or multi-user situation were much more of a problem in the past. But while they may not make sense in some business situations due to software or some other special issue, beyond that it's really simply a choice that is made. My husband has used a Mac at work for many years, in a large company where they seem to mix Macs and PCs just fine.

Anyways, I'm not an IT guy; its not even part of my job description. I'm simply the poor sap that all the computer illiterate here go to when they do something dumb...

Bryan

I feel your pain. If I had a nickel for every time someone said to me "I have a computer question"... well you know the rest.

But the bottom line, as a standalone workstation be it for graphics, audio or video, they can not be beat. in a multi-user enterprise environment they are a nightmare. I regularly service 600-2000 mac user environments. not an easy task compared to admining the same in pc. but they do have their place.

I started out my computing experience mostly on mac's becasue that's what the lab I worked in was set up with. Then I started using PC's becasue that's what I had access to.

Now I use only PC's, mostly becasue until recently macs were just far to expensive here in Chile and very few people use them. All the computers at the marine lab I work at are PC's (so sharing data is much simpler when everybody's on a common platform) and all the software to control instuments I maintinain are also for PC (mostly in DOS).

I dualboot Windows/Ubuntu on my laptop (don't use a desktop & haven't since about '97). Now that the mac's have become more reasonably priced (at least the macbooks are on par with any other quality notebook) and are using much the same hardware as PC notebnooks (so they can be multibooted) I'd at least consider a macbook for my next upgrade.

PC
The variety & quality of games compared to the MAC is what keeps me a PC user. Also, having learned practically all the ins & outs of the PC's O/S, I'm too lazy to spend the time it will take learning a new one.

It:crafty: will take NO time at all!

Funny, I use a playstation for games.

I've worked in software for a long time, and that's bunk. Like most things Macs have their pros and cons. And I'll grant you Macs in a corporate or multi-user situation were much more of a problem in the past.

They still do - compared to linux or windows their multi-user support is nearly non-existent, and what little there is tends to create more problems than it solves. If I had a dollar for every time macs multi-user setup has caused me to loose hair, I'd have a lot of dollars. If I only had to deal with windows, I'd still have hair...

But while they may not make sense in some business situations due to software or some other special issue, beyond that it's really simply a choice that is made.

Not really. On the grand scale of things, only a small portion of business apps run on macs - most engineering, business-orientated finance, business productivity software, scientific software, and so forth is PC only. A few companies are making cross-platform versions, but by and large you're stuck with PC's.

And if you need a lot of computers, mac isn't the way to go - you can fill an office with a lot of cheap PC's; it costs far more to do the same with macs.

My husband has used a Mac at work for many years, in a large company where they seem to mix Macs and PCs just fine.

But there is a huge difference between one person using a computer, verses a multi-user environment where you have multiple users using the same computer. And in that kind of environment linux is king, PC's are the next best bet, and macs run a far and distant third.

Bryan

whatever do the old apples have to do with current Macs?

both for me.

I see you do understand. The correct answer, of course, is nothing. Which is exactly how much support I received from Apple after spending over 5k on their computers. And to a highschool/college student, that's a lot of money. Especially back in the 80s

I used to be an apple fanatic, but after my gs and the problems I went through with that (not to mention the iic, which is why I bought the gs), I promised myself I'd never buy another product from apple. And I haven't.

My gs was, however, signed by the Woz himself.

my IIc is signed by Woz as well. Some folks are apples some are oranges...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom