Another question about boots... in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my wife and I have been to Bonaire twice. Both of us wore Akona Titaniums without any problems cutting or bruising our feet. The coral never bothered us and we didn't have any traction problems. We didn't dive the park or the East Side so maybe those places are where these tender footed whiners are having problems:D jk.

I would go with decent boots - some sites have a very rocky/rough entry.....M

Last edited:
It simply depends on if you want to be limited in where to dive and how much risk you want to take. Decision is all on you, you have the facts.

How can this be such a mystery? Sure, there are easy entrance sites but many, many of the best shore dive sites have big, sharp chunks of coral and iron shore. Things can be very unstable, especially when mixed together and washed by waves. There can also be sand washing around, making things hard to see, plus some areas have very slick surfaces. Now add to that a tank and a weighted bc, throwing your balance off.

Boots with at least the stiffness of a tennis shoe are a real safety feature. Maybe you won't need them but if you do there isn't time to order a pair (which might run you every bit of 25 bucks, for some TUSAs anyway). If you are headed for a crash because you are thrown off-balance you'll have lots of weight on. It's not about being a tender footed whiner :eyebrow: , it's about learning from other's experiences. Spending a few grand to get there and then being sidelined with a twisted ankle, nasty gash or worse doesn't seem sensible, butt hay (as our horses say), whatever works. Funny, I've never heard anyone say "Jeez, I wish I hadn't brought my hard soled boots...". // ww

If you don't want to spring for heavier boots just go to the drug store and get some inserts for your present pair and you would be suprised how much that additional support helps.

I'd like to hear from those who went against the grain, and used the lighter soled boots instead.

You won't, because their bones are still bleaching on the shores down there :eyebrow:

j/k - but think about night diving as well - it's one thing to be able to tread carefully during the day, and another at night.

I've always had the more flexible/softer bottomed booties and have never ever had a problem in 8 or 9 trips to Bonaire. Either kind will be fine.

Thanks for all of your input. We plan on going to the Our World Underwater show and hopefully can find a good pair there for each of us.

If you can't find any there, look at Scuba Toys online or Scuba.com
I just got myself a new pair (my old ones were falling apart).
I got these: Image for Henderson 5mm Heavy Duty Zipper Dive Boots Mens 5/Womens 6
but I also have a pair of these: Tusa Tall Boot discounts on sale Tusa

just make sure whatever boots you get, they will still fit into your fins! If the sole is really thick, you may have to get new fins with a bigger pocket.

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom