Anthony's Key Trip Report 4/16/16 - 4/23/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same here. Did it several times as a night dive when staying at BIBR.

(Digressing here, sorry 'bout that--but) surely do miss those BIBR days........We owned the house 2 to the east of BIBR on the water & ole Cam would let us dive for 5 bucks a tank off their boats---IF you bought his 'package' of 10 or more dives---lol, used to get 2 of them.....I guess those were the days, world class diving for almost nuttin'..........

I miss them as well, but I did get a taste of the BIBR again last week.

So the first night at AK we are eating dinner and I strike up a conversation with our waiter named Larry. Well Larry use to work at BIBR and I told him how much I loved the fresh lemongrass tea they would brew for us at BIBR. So every morning of our trip last week Larry would greet us with a fresh pot of lemongrass tea. I forgot just how good that was.

I miss them as well, but I did get a taste of the BIBR again last week.

So the first night at AK we are eating dinner and I strike up a conversation with our waiter named Larry. Well Larry use to work at BIBR and I told him how much I loved the fresh lemongrass tea they would brew for us at BIBR. So every morning of our trip last week Larry would greet us with a fresh pot of lemongrass tea. I forgot just how good that was.

That is fantastic, literally a taste........By chance, is Antonio still head of the photoshop @ AKR?/(circa '00 thru '02---this was waaay before everyone & his brother started packing a GoPro and/or a UW P&S camera so the photoshop did a lot of UW pic/video sales).....He & his wife started the butterfly farm many years ago down from AKR.....

Last edited:
Not sure about that. I don't remember running across him but they have a lot of staff. Between the resort, Maya Key, and some other operation they have close to 200 employees.

BDSC:
My wife and I were at AKR last week, too. Not sure if we met, but I hope we did. It was fun to meet everyone that was there last week. Great groups. Agree with your review and comments. This was our first time at AKR (4th dive trip to Roatan) and we had a great time. Met lots of great folks and the AKR staff were wonderful. We enjoyed the meals and variety of food. We were in a rustic, un-air conditioned bungalow at the farthest point on the key from the water taxi. Private, but we got eaten up by sand fleas and skeeters, even with using DEET. Will upgrade to A/C next time. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. Diving was great, even with the day and a half of E-Ticket boat rides. Great mix of folks on our boat. Within a couple of days we started pushing dining tables together to eat as a group. I am jealous that your group got to go to Pablo's Place, one of my favorites. We dove at Butchers Bank and Tatianas on that day. Jeff, our DM and Deen our Boat Captain were incredible. We had a broad range of experience (beginner to 200+ dives) and they kept us together, but let us explore. I was really impressed at how well they maintain and keep their boats clean. Nothing shabby about the whole resort. Will go back!

In the first week of May in 2012 I was at AKR and we didn't notice any sand flees nor mosquitos. We did have a delux room. Either the AC kept them at bay or it was too dry...don't know for sure. But we had a great time there.

Not sure if we met or not gmountai. Pretty much each morning I would have a cup of coffee around 6:15 or so up on the deck by the restaurant. There were several of us up there each morning.

We had a pretty good breeze out on the Key so the sand fleas were never really an issue. I brought these wipes I was going to use for the week and never used a single one. Had a bite or two but no big deal.

I'd definitely go back!

BDSC, pretty sure we at least exchanged Good Mornings. That's about the same time my wife and I would go to breakfast too. We usually sat on the lower deck to eat. Saul was our waiter in the mornings.

Gary Mountain

I'm sure we did. Our group was sitting up top right where the breakfast buffet was set up. We were the Big Daddy Divers Group. We had the one armed guy with us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom