Anti-DIR reg instructions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been in the situation where a diver (not my buddy) has been out of air and grabbed my primary reg out of my mouth it was a bit of a shock but I just used my octo which is in the conventional place. calmed him down then put him on my octo and slowly went for the surface we did a 3 min safty stop at 5 meters it worked really well apart from his buddy system had broken down and myself and miles were the closest targets. I discussed it with my buddy and we came to the conclusion that if you dive in big groups dont expect the buddy system to work as everyone gets too mutch comfort from numbers

ps most of my dives are with one guy Ive dived with for 3 years I know I am lucky most people dont get that safty net.

Saudi-Diver once bubbled...
I have been in the situation where a diver (not my buddy) has been out of air and grabbed my primary reg out of my mouth it was a bit of a shock but I just used my octo which is in the conventional place.

anyone, anyone...?

Don't you people listen to those in cabin flight briefings before take-off!!!???

Secure your own oxygen mask before assisting others.

But I think that the DIR method is best for diving. Those darn distressed divers ALWAYS yank out the reg. you have in your mouth.

I find I dive with so many different people. They hide that second in every BC pocket known to man or womankind. Nothing says "here's my second" like the reg. you have in your mouth-distressed divers realize this and rip it out of your mouth accordingly.

I also found that having a bungee necklace keeps your second out of the muck and goo, thereby avoiding a trip to the dive shop for simple maintenance e.g. had my Cyklon overhauled for a few clam bits and muck lodged around the diaphram.

MechDiver once bubbled...

their octo and have no idea where it may be, or even if it works at any given time. Seen that too many times.
Just a thought...

MD

Interesting - my buddy, iiii, and myself check our octos EVERY dive to be sure they are working. Never thought of not breathing them.

That's scary!

Diver0001 the burner. You have finely tuned your buddy skills and are always within reach of you buddy.

Whether he knows it or not...

:D

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Diver0001 the burner. You have finely tuned your buddy skills and are always within reach of you buddy.

Whether he knows it or not...

:D

K

LOL. :) MOst of the people in this thread have no idea what you're talking about.

R..

Anyone that thinks that donating the long hose is exclusive to DIR is misinformed and ignorant at best. Donating the long hose has been around for a long time and is standard practice amongst many in the technical arena. This post was a total troll and waste of bandwidth and should be pulled.

boomx5 once bubbled...
<snip>

This post was a total troll and waste of bandwidth and should be pulled.

To some donating the primary seems like an obvious best practice. To others it seems like a dangerous complication. I don't see how talking it through (even for the gazillionth time) is a waste of bandwith. With all due respect if you don't like this thread then there are plenty others for your amusement.

And since we're on the subject.... Phillip, I tell my kids that they can't say the don't like something (usually food) until they try it at least once. I really wish I lived closer because aside from the fact that I'd like to meet you and dive with you, I'd love the chance to turn off your air and see which of my regs you end up with in your mouth...... :)

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom