Any Liberal Computer Recommendations like Atmos 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

talonraid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought I would toss this out and see if anyone had any recommendations.

My wife and I have used Aeris Atmos 2 wrist computers for the past several years. We love them.

Unfortunately, my wife's computer has started to eat batteries lately. I have no idea why it's doing this, but we no longer trust her computer. Recently it went through a brand new battery in 2 dives and started flashing low during the second dive.

I've had my eye out for a good replacement computer and I've read several reviews. There are so many good computers out there, but one of the main things I've like about he Atmos 2 has been the liberal calculations. When I compare my results to my friends' newer computers I always seem to have more bottom time available on a multi-tank dive week than they do, and that is with our user adjustable settings the same. I also tend to have longer or at least equal bottom time with my dive buddies so it's not that I'm spending less time under water.

Can anyone recommend a computer out there that performs similarly to the Aeris Atmos 2? It's been a great computer and I'm depressed that it seems the newer Aeris models aren't as liberal, at least from my unscientific observations. I'm looking for a wrist mount that works for air and Nitrox, other than that I don't require any bells or whistles.

Cheers.

Why don't you send it in and have it fixed.

Well, that is one option I'm considering but that's not as much fun as a new one. Plus I think I paid $120 for the computer about 5 years ago and I don't know for certain but since it's a discontinued model I think it might cost more to be fixed that I originally paid for it. I'm not going to completely give up on that option however.

Last edited:
oceanic vt4... Can be wireless air integrated if you want.. Comes with 2 algorithms-- one liberal-- one conservative.. Looks like a great computer.. Ive been thinking about one for a while..

My wife and I dive the Atmos 2 and we love it too...my son is getting certified, though, so I've been looking into this as well...I called Aeris and learned that their new $459 XR2 wrist computer is basicaly the EXACT same equipment as the Atmos 2, in a slightly different casing...The only thing that's really different is that they've moved to a new type of computer download interface...SO, if you download your dives, add another $100 to your "upgrade" costs!

If you want to go with AI in a wrist, then look at the Elite T3, which looks like the Oceanic VT4...but, again, the download cords are different than your A2s. I was *of the impression* that hte T3 algorithms are the same as the other Aeris products, but their tech reps can verify.

Like the other poster, though, I'd consider just sending mine in for repair...The tech guy at Aeris with whom I spoke was VERY knowledgeable, and said they have A2's already on hand to ship out if you send in one, that the "guts" of the A2 were their workhorse "guts" and are the same "guts" they used on several other computers, that they have an ample supply of Motherboards for repair, etc...and that the A2 should be supported for quite a while to come...Sure, it will cost some to get it repaired (you'll get a diff unit back, built from the ground-up, unless you specifically request your specific unit back...but that takes a long time)...I can't recall the cost he mentioned, as I was also asking about transmitter repair costs, but $80-$120 sounds like it's in the right ballpark...Still, that's still WAY cheaper than a new toy that really isn't much different other than the casing.

BTW, I asked the guy about A2 battery issues myself...My LDS manager and I both have an issue where, if not used for awhile, our A2s will show a low battery charge on boot-up...but 10 minutes later it looks fully charged...Clearly, a little disconcerting, as we don't know which level to "trust." The Tech guy told us that there's a capacitor inside that is used in the battery level reading process somehow and that its built-up charge will slowly dissipate if the computer is not used for a while, and it then makes it look like an artificially low battery level when first re-booted...but the battery will charge up that capacitor again over the first few mins of use, and then it shows a true battery reading...a little oddity of the design, but nothing (in our case) to worry about...we were told we could trust the full reading after 10 mins and to ignore the initial reading as being an artifact of the computer being stagnant too long...If you're getting low battery readings during the dive and seemingly stunningly fast battery consumption, don't ignore it, but I'd be willing to bet a beer that it's a simple problem with that same capacitor that is used in detecting overall battery levels...from my experience with pinball machines and video games, capacitors tend to wear out/dry out over time and then can't hold a charge well...if your A2's battery level reading is coming from that type of faulty capacitor, you may be getting a false reading on it...a VERY simple problem, with a very simple fix...not the kind of thing that would justify a new computer, unless you just REALLY want a new toy! :)

I would go with the Oceanic GEO 2.0 or VEO 3.0. They both have Oceanic Dual Algorithum and are nice and Libral. If you want a really libral comouter you should go with the Cochran MC-20. That is the most libral computer on the market.

Thanks folks for the suggestions.

@Shftrdog: Thanks! I've read a number of reviews and articles about the Oceanics lately and their dual Algorithm capabilities. It sounds like it would definitely give you some more flexibility. One of my dive buddys that has an older Oceanic (I think Geo, but not sure) definitely does not have dual algorithm capabilities and we've done a couple of dive trips with nearly identical profiles and the Atmos 2 kicks his computer's butt every time. Which I thought was weird since it appears to be the same computer with nearly identical screens. I even strapped his computer on my opposite wrist on a couple of dives when he sat on the beach and the Atmos 2 was still registering different more conservative info.

@Lblamboy: Yep! I also went through the low battery indication on start up with my wife's computer a couple of years ago and came to the same solution you mention. She doesn't dive as frequently as I do and after a long surface interval (6-8 months) on the shelf her computer was indicating a low battery on start-up. I tracked down that same solution your tech friend told you which was basically give it 5-10 minutes to warm up and and it would indicate a full battery. My Atmos tended to get regular workouts and never had that low power status. I have indeed given some more thought about sending the computer straight to Aeris to see if they can fix it. Or, getting a rebuilt/refurbished one is fine as long as it works. I looked on Ebay and managed to find one in the box for $300...but as much as I love the computer, I can't see spending that much for an obsolete computer. I wonder how much my old Commodore 64 would sell for now....

Thanks again.

Cochran... set it to 0% conservatism and nothing will get you up quicker. It will never lock you out, and you can replace the batteries yourself. It has a ton of other features the others can't touch, but I'll let you read about it..

I'll definitely have a peek at the Cochran as well. I don't know much about them other than they're made in Dallas and they're uglier than Roseanne Barr, but I understand they are infinitely customizeable. (Added to reading list).

Cochran... set it to 0% conservatism and nothing will get you up quicker. It will never lock you out, and you can replace the batteries yourself. It has a ton of other features the others can't touch, but I'll let you read about it..

Sounds like a great way to get bent.

Personally I wouldn't touch a Cochran with a very long stick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom