Any new uwatec's set to come out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New rumor: Scubapro Uwatec to acquire screen technology from Uemis Ag (bankrupt.)

(more of a dream than a rumor. :D You heard hit here first. Just emailed this suggestion to Scubapro/Uwatec)

Hmm, I can't imagine Uemis having a patent on OLED screen, because Liquivision had the screen first, then Shearwater. But then again, OLED tv's and hand held devises had OLED screens a lot longer than Liquivision.

I am not surprised by what is going on with Uemis.

Scubapro has been promising the trimix upgrade for several years, I would not hold my breath on Scubapro.

Ditto, first dive yesterday with my brand new Ostc, next to my arm was my Luna, I think he never received a glance from me...

Zed is dead baby...

You will have to wait till DEMA whether or not Uwatec/Scubapro will release a new computer. But I agree, the first company to release an OLED, AI, and user replaceable batteries will rule the market for a while.
I think Uemis has AI with color display.

Adam

The other one to watch is Mares HD Icon. They'll probably come out with wireless AI before Atomic. I doubt Sherwater or Liquivision will do AI as they cater to the tech crowd.

Adam

Uemis is bankrupt-- so wont be going there... Its too bad Liquidvisioni wont go AI--- i really like their X1 unit-- if they had a X1AI-- id be in :coffee:..

The other one to watch is Mares HD Icon. They'll probably come out with wireless AI before Atomic. I doubt Sherwater or Liquivision will do AI as they cater to the tech crowd.

Adam

Yep but the Icon is not oled, its lcd with a poor vision angle, poor UI, really expensive, almost the price of a predator.. Almost twice the price of an ostc mk2, rgbm, and.. Oh did I mention its a mares computer ?

I'm vert friendly with my local ScubaPro rep and our shop was given the low down. I'm sure other LDS works know the same things. But there's some nice stuff is slates to come out before DEMA. Also I heard from Atomic, don't expect a Wrist Cobalt till atleast 2012.

It's clearly out of topic, but Uwatec rebranded the Aladin into Subgear XP10 and lowered the price to 250$, that about the fastest change you'll see in the dive industry.

Re-wrap, sell at lower price some outdated stuff that was WAY overpriced before. Oceanic must be selling 150-200$ computers by truck-loads. They noticed sometimes price IS a deterrent.

BTW: OLED is a totally separate technology and if I'm correct is Sony's property, i think, not sure.

What they NEED to do to lower future R&D costs is.
1) No fixed screen (DOT matrix is still old stuff)
2) No fixed software per device. One software for multiple devices. Standardize the brand.

Those are impossible though.

Last edited:
Uwatec could save on advertising by merging the Luna and the Sol into a single product then offer selective features, like the heart monitor and PGM. Ala Carte computers, there's an idea. Offer a base, functional comptuer at a reasonable price, then let people buy software function upgrades as they need them.

First, the Galileo Sol Trimix is out in beta, but only to Trimix instructors. From what I know of software development, I would not expect the final to be out for another year to 18 months.

As for the merger of Sol and Luna -- the Luna was deliberately sold with lesser capability and the pay-as-you-go upgrades, to allow people the expandability of the computer at their own pace. The Sol was sold as the "loaded" version. So, they've already done as you suggested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom