Any recommendations for Cancun Dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropicaledit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, I'm going to the Dreams Resort in Cancun in July. My buddy's gettin married. Anyway, I was thinking of getting some dives in down there. Currently I have about 50 dives under me. I prefer dives at the 40' depth. Don't particularly care for deeper dives. Does anyone know of a respectable dive shop down there. Or maybe, can anyone recommend any dive sites.

Any replies appreciated, thanks - Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Yep, sure do. Drop Ben Mooney a line at benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk. He's the owner of Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives & PADI Courses. He runs an excellent dive op out of Hotel Internationale at KM 4.5.

He has a great staff, fast boat, and will customize your trip to your needs. He will also arrange for transportation to and from your resort. Don't forget to spend a day doing cenotes! Most of the dives are on reefs and will suit your depth limitation.

Best shop in Cancun, give him a holler. You won't be disappointed!

Jack

I will second Ben and his group. Did some diving with MAD during October 2007 and have a return trip planned for April 2008. Great dive shop and personal service, definitely made me feel like a part of the family and that Ben and I had been friends for many years. You won't be dissapointed.

Andy

I will second Ben and his group. Did some diving with MAD during October 2007 and have a return trip planned for April 2008. Great dive shop and personal service, definitely made me feel like a part of the family and that Ben and I had been friends for many years. You won't be dissapointed.

Andy

I've heard that diving in Cancun is not that great? Am I being misled or do they take you further south to dive?

Clint

We just came back after week in Cancun (Jan 14-22). Reefs around Cancun are beautiful and healthy with all kind of tropical fishes, barracudas, spotted and green eels, nursing sharks, lobsters, and giant manta rays. Many mini-caves on Aristos, fantastic views from wrecks. It was our fifth dive trip to Cancun, but first time diving with MAD (Mayan Aqua Divers). This is great company with good boat and excellent staff: Ben himself has over 4000 dives and his Captain/DM got 6000+, cave guide Danielle has 4000+ dives as well. MAD provided pick up from hotel every time we've used them (3 times). Divers are diving "their own air" and Ben stayed with us after one couple bailed out earlier due to a fin problem. On second day his DM stayed with us again for full 48 min, after penetrating wreck and crawling (very strong current) to the bow that was separated by hurricane. Nice vis. We'll be back again next January after Kauai/Niihau trip.

hi clint,
please dont be put off by cancun diving, we have awesome dive sites here, 80-50ft reefs, long bottom time, tons of fish, you wont be disspaointed!
heres why cancun has bad press, the operators are big here compared to coz or playa, aquaworld, scuba cancun etc... they ll take you with 30 divers on a boat, drop you on the closest most convienet reef (usually beaten and dead) give you 35min on the bottom then your taken back because they have another boat load waiting! thats the first impression of cancun diving! it sucks!
get with a smaller operator, fast boats, small groups and get to the outside reefs you going to love it, check out "la perdiida", cuevas de afuera", "el tunel" and the c 58, we ve been there 3 times this week, the divers love the eagle rays!
i ve dived all over, oz, thailand, fiji among others and cancun keeps me happy, great variety, fun reefs..... just give it a try!

ben

I enjoyed my Cancun diving experience as well. We're going back the end of Feb. Nice shallow reefs, decent wrecks and, while they're not in Cancun per se', diving a cenote is something that absolutely should be on every divers "bucket list".

tropicaledit,

I echo everyone here! Ben's operation is fantastic! I was just in Cancun in December and had a fantastic time with Mayan Aqua Dive. The diving was great! I think Cancun is really good, and the reason it isn't recognized as such is because it's so close to Cozumel and people naturally compare the two. But if Cancun were anywhere else in the Caribbean it would be a different story - very nice diving!

I know you said you like 40' depths but do yourself a favor, visit the shipwreck if you get a chance - it's a bit deeper than the reefs (70') but it was the best dive the whole trip, it is worth it.

Katy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom