Any south Alabama groups?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamaskubacat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All!

I moved to Daphne, AL from the midwest about a year ago. I'm wondering if there are any local groups/clubs/websites/etc. My husband is also certified, but since moving here he is obsessed with kayak fishing, so I'm in need of some dive friends :blinking:

Tina

You've found it! The Dixie Divers on Scubaboard will be better than any club you can join at this point. Honestly, the internet works wonders for finding buddies, more widespread than any club.

Bamascubacat
Let me first start by apologizing to you for being so slow in returning your pm you sent. I don't make it on here to often now days and I get email notices from time to time where BuGmAn is stirring the pot on a local dive that has become a closely guarded secret and I thought your PM was one till I read it.

Bugman has pretty much hit the nail on the head about where to go to to find a dive buddy or to review reports on Local dives. You just got to jump right in and speak up and say lets dive. Your question on diving the Eastern shore. The bay waters are not much for diving don't get me wrong the bay has lots of areas to explore but 90% of the time there is little to no Viz. The Gulf is your better bet. From shore diving to boat diving

If your Husband is interested I can fix him up with a local site that would help with his habit and he will find many more close to him. And you never know you may even come to liking the fishing Family Guys/Lady's after all you never can tell when you might just be able to jump on board a boat going out and grab a dive with just pitching in $25.00 or so foe fuel ;]

If you have any more questions just shoot me a PM and give me a little time to return it

BuGmAn it's good to see you still kicking, hope all has been well with you and yours

Hi All!

I moved to Daphne, AL from the midwest about a year ago. I'm wondering if there are any local groups/clubs/websites/etc. My husband is also certified, but since moving here he is obsessed with kayak fishing, so I'm in need of some dive friends :blinking:

Tina

Welcome to the forum, My son and I are very active divers and live just down the street from you. We dive a few times each month, some local, some in south Florida, and still more in PC or Destin. Hit us up sometime, we can fill you in on our plans.

Another good resource around here is Chas at Underwater works inc. He has a good feel for whats going on in the area.

I can say this, we will be at the Suds divefest in PC. There is a banner ad for it on the forum. There will be good diving, and great friends to meet. Perhaps we will see you there.

Jay

Gulf coast divers in mobile does some offshore dives at dauphin island. They also have trips posted for other locations like palau and roatan. Most of the common dive sites are Ft. Pickens in pensacola, fl; destin jettes; and st. andrews state park in panama city, fl. If your interested my roommates and I dive and we would be more than happy to have extra dive buddies!

Thanks for the responses! I'd love to go diving sometime. Please let me know if anyone is going out. I'm a bit nervous (and excited) about diving the gulf. Nervous only because, moving here from the midwest, I don't know the best conditions to dive - visibility, tides, currents, etc. and still new enough that I don't want to do anything unknowingly stupid and get myself in trouble underwater. Sooooo... anyone willing to have a newbie tag along, I would appreciate it :eek:)

I am also looking for gear so I don't have to keep renting. If anyone has anything they're wanting to sell, let me know. I really need a regulator and fins.

Bama, Just keep an eye on the this forum! Frequently people will post when they're going and where- - making it easy to team up with some great divers that know some of these locations well.

As far as gear goes. . . I'm partial to our local Mobile dive shop: and they do have a couple 3 or so used regulators, and several sets of used fins right now (also tons of great 'New' stuff to). I've been to many, many dive shops and these guys are some of the best, IMO. Tell them Carl sent you if you want them to give you a hard time, lol.

My fiancee' and I are considering a couple shore dives either this Thursday or Friday. Tides will be in our favor. We're considering the drive to St. Andrews, which is our favorite shore dive in the area. If you're interested, we'd be more than happy to have you come along!

DocCarl, I live on the eastern shore.. what dive shop in Mobile?? Do you know if the regulators are any good or if they are cheapy used rentals?? Where is St. Andrews?? I know, I'm full of questions :D

I would definitely be interested in going with you guys, let me know when you decide what your going do.

Gulf Coast Divers in Mobile. It's located near I-65 and Cottage Hill.map and website link.

I'm not sure what they have on the used rack right now- - - Most of it turns over pretty quickly. I don't know what your budget is, but I highly recommend regulators by Atomic Aquatics. Some of the best out there, and I decided it would be cheaper for me in the long run- - - - Atomics regs use a different design, and are only serviced once every two years, instead of once every year (saves $$$ over time). Go by and ask Lawren about the Atomic Z2x. I've used that for the past year, and now my fiancee' is diving it.

When we say "St. Andrews", we're referring to St. Andrews State Park near Panama City Beach, Fl. Attached you'll see an aerial photo of the area people typically dive. Usually GREAT shore diving- - but it's about a three hour drive.

It looks like some of us may be heading to Ft. Pickens on Thursday around 9 am: Much closer for us, Ft. Pickens is located west of Pensacola beach at the entrance of the bay. Another great site, as long as you catch the tides right.

Questions are great! Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Carl

Attachments

• Rules-StAndrewsStateParkJetty.jpg
    Rules-StAndrewsStateParkJetty.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,171
Thanks Carl!
I'll try to get over to Mobile maybe tomorrow and see what they have. If you're sure you don't mind a tag a long, I'm free on Thursday :blinking::D How many are going? What is there to see (wreck, reef, ?) and what is the depth?

Tina

Back
Top Bottom