Any tips and examples on how to configure and attach a stage / deco bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The quick link isn't necessary. Not sure why it's part of the kit.

The idea is to stretch the top bungee enough to stretch the 2 attachment points out enough to cause the cylinder to lay flat on top of you. The cylinder won't move around at all if you do it this way. You will also need a couple of hose retainers to hold the stage hose on the body of the tank.

This style does require that the harness has a chest clip, right? (I know some people are using HOG type harnesses to sidemount, and I can not get them to be comfortable because without a chest clip the snugged bungie pulls the shoulder parts apart.

As a side question with everything snugged in like this, is it better to get it all squared away out of the water? DO you ever run into issues when the bungie is snug enough to lock in like that?

Not that I am ever diving in real restrictions but, it seems like there would be times when that could be difficult.

Thanks. It was hard to tell from the pics. What's the deal with the quick link on the end of the top clip?

The quick link snugs up against the burst disk nut and keeps the clip in the same location so the handwheel is pointing out, where you can reach it.

The quick link snugs up against the burst disk nut and keeps the clip in the same location so the handwheel is pointing out, where you can reach it.

Ah, thanks! That makes sense.

Thanks. It was hard to tell from the pics. What's the deal with the quick link on the end of the top clip?

I clip my reg of there when it's not being used.

For me, stages on top are less accessible than when underneath. Having the reg clipped off to the top of the tank makes it easier to find when switching to that stage. (Only an issue when using 2 or more stages, as you will start a dive breathing from the reg of a single stage)

thanks for the tip Ian.

This style does require that the harness has a chest clip, right? (I know some people are using HOG type harnesses to sidemount, and I can not get them to be comfortable because without a chest clip the snugged bungie pulls the shoulder parts apart.

As a side question with everything snugged in like this, is it better to get it all squared away out of the water? DO you ever run into issues when the bungie is snug enough to lock in like that?

Not that I am ever diving in real restrictions but, it seems like there would be times when that could be difficult.

A chest strap does help.

I prefer to clip on stage cylinders in the water. With the cords being bungees it's not very practical to try to walk a stage to the water if it's clipped to you. I'm not sure what you mean by locked in, but I've not had issues with putting the stage cylinder on or taking it off. I will typically drop the stage before going into a restriction, or if I'm bringing one through a restriction, I'll pull it off and push it in front of me.

billgraham:

If the clip on the worm clamp is positioned correctly it's not needed. The position of that clip will keep the handwheel where it needs to be.

Back
Top Bottom