Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Sharky,

I think it looks great also. (fossils or no fossils, diving or no diving) Looks like about 50 miles for me and 100 miles for you. Sometimes I drive to the Keys to dive so in comparison it is really does not seem far to me. It looks like a very beautiful area. Lately I have been searching around to find some inviting spots to hunt for fossils. Land sites and dive sites. I go to a lot of sites that are known to produce fossils but do not produce any. The reason is they have obviously been examined very closely by the previous 300 fossil hunters to visit the site. Hunted a land site today and dug into Ice Age materials. Hardly found a thing. It has probably been searched to death. One of the guys gave me a blonde Meg. Sorta like your Avatar but not near the quality. Check it out.

Click-able

Shoot! I'd take a blond meg any day. The only yellow meg I have, I found off of Old Trolley road and it is a partial.

I am ready to dive!!!!!!!! i think I am going to purchase a 7mm two-piece just to get at it. I am going to dive in the Edisto next weekend, anyone care to join me?

Hello Sharky,

I think it looks great also. (fossils or no fossils, diving or no diving) Looks like about 50 miles for me and 100 miles for you. Sometimes I drive to the Keys to dive so in comparison it is really does not seem far to me. It looks like a very beautiful area. Lately I have been searching around to find some inviting spots to hunt for fossils. Land sites and dive sites. I go to a lot of sites that are known to produce fossils but do not produce any. The reason is they have obviously been examined very closely by the previous 300 fossil hunters to visit the site. Hunted a land site today and dug into Ice Age materials. Hardly found a thing. It has probably been searched to death. One of the guys gave me a blonde Meg. Sorta like your Avatar but not near the quality. Check it out.

Click-able

Mike...I hope you have a camera, because I would like to enjoy your dive trip. Would like to see photos of your finds also. You may do this already, but, in addition to the thicker wetsuit I recommend taking insulated containers filled with with very, very warm water. Not hot, but almost hot. Fill your wetsuit and boots with the warm water before dropping in. The warm water will not give the cold water a place to flow into. I use to do this when diving the Cooper in Nov and Dec. I am reading about 53 degrees (Cooper River/Goose Creek) as the current water temp.

Below are a few photos from the Cypress show yesterday.

Click-able

well, I should be fine with the wetsuit, lol but I have done that with the warm water.

Here are some pics of my 12" jars with pieces.
jar1.jpg

jar2.jpg

pieces on the mantel, my wife says I need to do something with this, lol
frags.jpg

Hello UnderSeaBB.... I am in total agreement. The tooth on the red satin is absolutely stunning. I would LOVE to have that tooth. I was wondering if anyone would notice its beauty.

That tooth is about 3" in size. Its a front center Angustiden great white shark tooth from the Oligocene Epoch period of history. In other words the tooth belonged to an animal that lived 35 million years ago. See where the Oligocene period is using the Toilet Paper Timeline of the history of the earth. I took the photo on Saturday at the Cypress Gardens Fossil show. None of the items in the photos are mine. They were all on display and many were for sale.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Mike.... Really interesting frag bottle.... It is amazing the story that frags tell. Somewhat like reading a book.

Speaking of books. I purchased a book yesterday titled Hunting the Hunter. I have seen it around for years and finally bought one. I absolutely love it. EXCELLENT book on great white sharks teeth. Great photos. Great text. It is advertised as paperback, and it is paperback, but it is an 8.5" x 11" x .5" thick paperback.

Last edited:
beautiful tooth lee, almost looks peruvian or something. maybe we can get together and dive sometime....... i know several spots between sc and ga i would like to check out.....

I need to see if I still have a photo of Jason's 3" Ariculatus tooth he found the last time we were able to hunt LaFarge Quarry, it is stunning with no damage. Bad part too is I call the guys up to come to the top of the pile to look around and he pulls this out. I ended up with my biggest ric but as all of them it had feeding damage to it.

I was talking to one of the successful fossil hunters at the Cypress Gardens Fossil show on Saturday. He mentioned that he runs the rivers edge at low tide in a Kayak. Sounded simple enough. Just goes to show you, you have to invest the time and energy.

Sharky... I don't have a boat, I use others. I have four good boat references for coastal SC black water fossil diving. Although, I am personally steering away from the "commercialized" repetitive site dives that have been examined by multitudes of divers.

One of my acquaintances builds Meg jaws for a living. He has been successful at it. He and I seem to view Meg tooth hunting through the same lens. He will put his boat on a site if he has good reason to believe it will produce for him. The big difference is, I am playing, he is not playing.

Back
Top Bottom