Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doing some armchair fossil site hunting tonight. Ran across a map of a place in Florida called Bone Valley. Bone Valley and the coastal Carolina's are on top of a vein in the earth called the Hawthorn formation. The Hawthorn formation is described in this link and it starts on page 64. Looks like they have found some really nice sharks teeth in Bone Valley. I think I would enjoy digging and diving there.

Hello Sean,

I have known and dove with Capt Johnny for a few years now. I met Capt Johnny thru Capt Phil. I have know Phil a very long time and I dove with him for many, many years. Phil is a very colorful character. I heard a good friend of his call him the "rag and bone" man. As of late I have been diving blue water because my dive partner likes the blue water. She got a little creeped out one day diving the Cooper and since leans heavily towards the deep blue. I love the deep blue also so that is okay by me. Fortunately I got past the creepiness of diving the river a long time ago. Although today, it does sometimes give me pause. For instance when I am alone and looking off an underwater cliff into the darkness with a rather fast current running. It gets PERSONAL.

Thanks for posting the photo. I see about 7 teeth in the photo I like best.

As far as polishing and processing teeth, I am going to send you to the best I know. I am not going to post her name because I am not sure how she feels about that. She is one of the most prolific fossil collectors I know of. She is obsessed with it and has been for some time. She processes bucket loads of teeth in her garage and I am sure what she tells you will be right on the money. She lives in Venice Florida so you can imagine the rest of the story.

The fossil beds off Wilmington are on my list. The Meg in your photo is actually the best I have seen come from there.

Just ran across this video of offshore Venice FL shark tooth diving. Funny thing .... I recognize the person talking and the boat. It is a small world after all

I am seeing a number of postings on Meg teeth found in and around the Ace Basin. The Basin is just a little south of Charleston SC. Does anyone know or have any information on dive sites in the Ace Basin area? The Basin is not far from where I live and I would like to dive them. Any knowledge of Ace Basin "land sites" would be greatly appreciated.

I need specifics. I have mapped sites (dive and land) in and around Charleston SC for trade. Would like to trade maps.

Disclaimer: Select sites are kept confidential by request

I am also hearing about Edisto walk-in dive sites. I saw a video on an obviously shallow Edisto River fossil dive. The bottom in the video looks very good from a fossilized bone and tooth perspective. Would like to get some specifics on this or other locations. I have one source and plan on diving it but more sites would be even better.

Any notable fresh earth excavations in and around Charleston SC?

Okay, there is one spot here near Summerville that produce teeth with what I call a "velvet" dull look when the tooth dries. What I have learned is I can take a dremel with a steel wheel, not a brass wheel (I tried, it is too soft) and I can remove this "velvet" from the enamel and it does not harm the tooth and it shines the tooth up. I will see if I can get some pics for ya guys.

Hey Lee, I know of someone that dives in the Ashapoo, the finds are encrusted with barnacles, matter of fact, my 7" whale vert is from the Ashapoo. I will talk with him and see if he can give up a spot for ya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom