Anybody else encounter tech arrogance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eh, you met a jerk. If you had met him playing golf, you wouldn't assume that all golfers are jerks (they are, but that's another story).

You know who "that guy" is on the dive boat? The easiest way to tell? It's the guy who makes a point of telling everyone what tank pressure they surfaced with. Don't be that guy.

But seriously, Blasto makes a good point. Tech training is terrific. Not because it makes you in to a super diver who can look down on mere recreational divers. Not because you learn specific techniques and skills. It's because it changes your attitude towards diving, it helps you become more of a thinking diver. The most important part of the training is the mindset, learning how to learn, and respect for the sport. Sounds like your buddy missed that day in tech class....

Having done some deep dives in competitive archery and paintball, I can assure you (as others have), jerks and know-it-alls come in many flavors. I doubt that this was a tech issue.

In my experience, they tend to fall in two general categories: a bit better than average or crap. They are rarely at the top. One of the favorite coping mechanisms is to blame everything on their equipment. When things go sideways, they will tell you that they are testing out new trick ways of doing things during this sub-par event so that they can be more consistent during the big events. The ones that you won't be at.

They also tend to gravitate towards the unknown faces. Because the known faces have already called their bluff.

said that unless I did it his way, he would not be diving with me again.
There was your get out of jail free card. :D

I don't suffer the insufferable. I don't tolerate the intolerant. I'm as free as a bird now, and this bird you cannot chain!

1te2c7.jpg

. “Most tech divers will not dive with recreational divers,” he said, smugly.

This is patently false in my experience. None of the technical divers I know view technical diving as being fundamentally different than recreational diving. Yes, there are differences in gear and certainly differences in procedures once the dive gets deep or long enough but on shallow dives within the NDL's I literally don't know a single technical diver who would would be so arrogant or condescending about it.

Personally I've actively diving "technically" since 2002 and I also train newbie divers (PADI OW divers). I can't speak for everyone but in my case I get a lot of pleasure from helping people to form a bit of a foundation coming out of the gate that they can build upon. If someone wanted to do the dive you described with me, I'd be more than happy to. The ones who aren't will normally just politely decline.

To me it looks like you may have met someone who is pretty unsure of themselves. To my way of thinking someone who is really confident about their skills and knowledge are unlikely to have a big chip on their shoulder about it.

That said, some people are just jerks. I would personally avoid having to interact with someone who treated me with so little respect in the future.

R..

OP...you and others (in other posts) have made a distinction between recreational diving and tech diving....you mention the person you were partnered with said that most tech divers wont dive with rec divers.....in the future when faced with this you could simply state that "if you ain't getting paid to be in the water, you are simply a recreational diver". Tech divers are just recreational divers with more advanced training. Unless they are getting paid they are still diving as a leisure activity, even if they combine it with penetrating wrecks and caves, extra tanks, and gas management calculations. Fire that at an egotestical bastard and see what they do to plug the holes in their ego. My opinion, and I am sure others would agree, it would probably be better to skip a dive than dive with the person you described.....if you have to give any thought to how comfortable you are with the person before taking the plunge then my advice would be to not enter the water with them. And often someone so egotestical (I know how it is supposed to be spelled) is usually compensating for something...you don't want to find out below the surface that they are compensating for a lack of actual competence.

-Z

I’ve encountered way more non-tech divers with a know-it-all attitude than tech divers. My tech instructors are pretty freaking awesome in and out of the water, I’ve never seen any air of superiority from any of them towards divers of any level.

I’ll buddy with almost anyone, I just dive to have fun and if I can help another diver out, teach them something if they want to learn or show them something they’ve never seen underwater then that’s a win for us both. But if you try to tell me you’re more experienced than you really are, aren’t willing to dive safely, or have a general crappy attitude, I’ll pass on diving with you. There are tech trained divers I won’t dive with. I’m sure there are a few who won’t dive with me. In my opinion diving is supposed to be fun and safe, so don’t ruin my fun!!

This is patently false in my experience.
Mine, too. And I'm a (perhaps not so) humble rec diver.

But as I've said, you'll encounter a-holes everywhere. The diving community isn't an exception to that rule.

I would never dive with this guy again. Well seasoned or not I would avoid him. He is first breaking the very foundation of rules that he is suposed to subcribe to. DO NOT DO TRUST ME DIVES.. I dont care what the circumstances are. He could have approached it much differently by saying there are many ways to do this dive but this is how they will be doing this one and why. describe the dive and open for questions. I dont care who you are,,, when you are a senior or a leader you have an obligation to insure client understanding and to train if needed. There is nothing more dangerous new waters than a lack of trust in your guide. If he is that adiment about you haveing tech training he should have rejected you as a buddy or client from the beginning. And the implied CRAP about If you loved you family you will get training. Those are tactics that insurance salesmen use to sell a policy to make a quota.

Let me say this about the rule of 1/3's. It probably would not apply for this kind of dive. I normally connect 1/3's with overhead diving. (caves) when not in overhead's you shift to a rock bottom time calculation because you can use 2/3 of your gas on the dive and surface with the rest. That is not to say that 1/3 should not be the time to ascend to shallower depths. 120 ft is not a depth to fool with.

Please do not let this guy ruin your ambition to become a better diver and attaining greater skills.

Last edited:
Tech training is terrific. Not because it makes you in to a super diver who can look down on mere recreational divers. Not because you learn specific techniques and skills. It's because it changes your attitude towards diving, it helps you become more of a thinking diver.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom