Anybody wear their mask INSIDE their hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EvilSlumLord

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Was reading a book about diving the Andrea Doria the other day and it mentioned that one of the divers was told to wear her mask under her hood (so the strap was inside). Turned out later she got hit hard by another diver (that ended up dying) and probably would have lost her mask entirely it it hadn't been held on by the hood.

Now obviously there is a case to be made for carrying a spare mask, etc. but I am just curious if anyone does this routinely. I don't think I've seen anyone do it yet. If not, why not (particularly if you don't carry a spare mask)?

thx

On some occasions, depending on the mask and hood.

Me too. Makes being kicked in the head by students during lights out drills less likely to dislodge my mask.

I do as well; less of a chance of me accidently having a peice of the hood under the skirt. Plus I don't have to loosen my mask straps any when wearing the hood vs diving hoodless.

No I don't...since sometimes I need to adjust the strap of the mask,,,and that would be almost impossible under the hood...

Have for years. As a videographer, I only have one hand free so it pretty much ensures the mask will stay on my head if the strap should break. Last time that happened, I simply pressed the housing up against my mask to hold it in place and continued filming. Otherwise the mask might have (in the words of Dobie Gray) "drift(ed) away..." and I would have lost what was an important sequence.

Any time I have a hood one, my mask strap is under it.

Comrade Stroke

I wear my mask inside my hood as I find that the mask strap will slowly migrate around my head and cause the fit to loosen and cause flooding. I use a slap strap, the original rubber strap might do this less, but I don't care to swap straps back and forth. plus I have a 5 and 7mm hood and don't want to have to readjst my strap setting

YEs, everytime I wear a hood. You don't have to re-adjust mask straps before and after the "hooded" dive. Plus if you are on a dive where surface temps are warm and bottom temps are cold its easier to pull hood up to begin dive, and down to end dive.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom