Anybody wear their mask INSIDE their hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't tried wearing the mask strap under the hood yet, haven't thought about it, but will give it a try now just to see.

As far as the snorkel, I didn't use one in AOW, but it was requiered in OW. When I showed up and none of the instructors were using one I didn't bother putting mine on either. One instructor did tell us a story that in one of the OW classes a student put on a survey that he was not wearing a snorkel and PADI got a hold of him and he had to explain that he had one in his pocket. Guess PADI requires you to at least have one, even if not worn.

Well, based on the overwhelming response, I guess it will be new COMMONSENSE LAW to wear the mask under the hood, I have for years....

what about when you are required to wear a snorkel? or can you get the keeper far enough forward?

dano

Are you diving, or snorkeling??? I can't even recall the last time I saw a diver wearing a snorkel :)

The only problem, beside snorkel attachment, with wearing a mask under your hood is that you wind up with the mask skirt under the hood and the hood tends to inflate.

I can't remember the last time I saw an ocean diver without a snorkel.

The only problem with wearing a mask under your hood is that you wind up with the mask skirt under the hood and the hood tends to inflate.
Whether I wear the mask strap under the hood (caving/wreck penetration) or over it, I keep the mask seal itself on my skin. Usually that means the upper part of the mask seal is under the hood.
However, I don't have much of a problem with air trapping in the hood because (1) I punch holes (or buy hoods with holes already punched) in the top of the hood to let the air out and (2) I have a good seal across the forehead and a nice mustache to keep the seal under my nose broken just enough to be the main air escape path... :)
Rick

I wear one mask under the hood and one mask over the hood. Just in case.

No I don't...since sometimes I need to adjust the strap of the mask,,,and that would be almost impossible under the hood...

I'm curious, with the mask under the hood why would you *need* to adjust the mask strap? For that matter, why would you ever need to adjust the strap underwater. In fact, I don't think I've adjusted the strap on my masks since the day I bought them.

Not sure how you got OWD within standards without a snorkel.

Your instructor violated standards.

That's how.

Very routine for one standard or another to be overlooked/violated. My wife (wow... first time I've typed that) got her BOW never having performed compass navigation in open water.

WoW! I've been thinking about trying this out for awhile now. My mask is a Tusa M14 and it's pretty big. So, it's sometimes problematic when combined with my hood. I was going to have the hood tailored but maybe I will actually try this out first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom