anyone ever use this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereas:
I am dead against buying scuba and related gear online, because you have no idea whether it is defective or not. And if it is defective, you have no recourse, most often.

You should do your scuba shopping in a good retail scuba store, because scuba gear needs to be serviced at least annually, if not semiannually, and for this you either need the help of a retail store, or else you need to go to the DEMA conferences and take the maintenance courses yourself.

Ya buddy!!!!
You are right.I give you support on this Issue.

Actually, if the price was right, and you knew what you were doing, I don't see what the problem would be with getting things online. I'm basing this on my own experience, where I bought both my regs 2nd hand online. It was always caveat emptor. I scored my latest reg (1st, 2nd, and console - SPG, depth gauge, compass) for around 80 bucks, shipped. When I opened it up, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Its internals were pristine. Slapped it back together, and the IP was dab smack where it shoulda been. Luck of the draw I guess. But see, this story is meant to highlight that getting things online (even 2nd hand things) isn't all that bad.

Oh, and you don't need to take the DEMA courses to figure out how to check your own regs. I think all divers should at least know some of the basics in reg maintenance, just like people should know how to check their own tires and oil.

I get an e-mail about once a week from a manufacturer similar to this. I decided to inquire. After contacting the manufacturers about two products in particular, wetsuits and DPV's, I found out the following:
1) The wetsuits (3mm jumpsuits) would cost me $12 per piece.
2) The DPV's would cost me $80 per unit.
3) I was required to order by the pallet. Minimum 500 suits and 24 DPV's.
4) Shipping charge from Taiwan (can't remember exact $) was enormous.
Perhaps this case is different. Good luck with it. I will probably be getting the next e-mail shortly if someone would like the seller's contact info. :D

I tried to PM the list but scubaboard has a character limit on personal messages of 5000 characters and when I tried to send the whole list it came up as having 96000 characters so I would need to send over 20 personal messages to send the whole thing. A better option is to PM me with your email and try that. I am looking at getting a whole pallet of tanks anyway so I am game for that if I have to get that many. I figured shipping would be high but if there was a substantial savings it would still be worth it.

nereas:
I am dead against buying scuba and related gear online, because you have no idea whether it is defective or not. And if it is defective, you have no recourse, most often.

You should do your scuba shopping in a good retail scuba store, because scuba gear needs to be serviced at least annually, if not semiannually, and for this you either need the help of a retail store, or else you need to go to the DEMA conferences and take the maintenance courses yourself.

I looked at your profile. Do you keep your money in FDIC covered savings accounts where it is risk free? I buy most of my more expensive gear online where I have found that the savings far outweigh the risks. But I also do my own servicing so that is not a problem.

NorthWoodsDiver:
I tried to PM the list but scubaboard has a character limit on personal messages of 5000 characters and when I tried to send the whole list it came up as having 96000 characters so I would need to send over 20 personal messages to send the whole thing. A better option is to PM me with your email and try that. I am looking at getting a whole pallet of tanks anyway so I am game for that if I have to get that many. I figured shipping would be high but if there was a substantial savings it would still be worth it.

Please let me know how you do. If it works out OK for you, I will probably send them $60 and do a little volume shopping.

Thanks.

DivingsInMyBlood:
Oh man, you need a scooby snack or something for digging this deep :wink:

Before I changed jobs a few years ago, I spent more than 15 years doing computer and Internet security, including some kinds of online investigations. This was a 20 minute job, and there are a lot of people uot there who could have gone deeper even faster. I'm a bit rusty :)

You can find *anything* on the Internet. The problem is knowing whether your source is good :)

I contacted the company to ask for a refund (as the website offers) but there is no reply. Saved the list to my PC but really it is hard to figure out what is what. Its not a quality product at all and I would appreciate if some of you that got a copy would try and help me out a bit if you find a dealer on that list that works.

The idea is nice if you are looking for volume but the shipping and long distance phone call fees would kill a person.

Back
Top Bottom