anyone in so-cal been to BALI before? (or flores)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
hello fellow so-cal-ers

I'll be backpacking, snorkeling and diving in bali for 2 weeks (10/23 - 11/07)

I've read a lot, but I've love to get in touch with people who have been there in the last few years, I have a lot of specific questions about budget hotels, best dive deals, how to shore dive and not pay for a guide, etc.

I'd love to hear recommendations.

I'm also considering going to labuan bajo, flores to do some day dive trips, if you've been there let me know!

post here, PM me or email me (letters4scott - at - ya-hu dot com)
thanks alot , Scott

Scott, I just returned from Australia and by now I'm sure you've heard about the terrorist bombings over there.

It made big news Down Under as Bali is a popular destination for Aussies, and as of Tuesday morning when I flew home, at least 5 Aussies were confirmed killed with many more injured.

I'm not sure if it's too late to cancel or at least alter your bookings, but Bali is not a good place to go right now. Especially for an American.

Actually, I think now is as good a time to go as any, statistics-wise. Unlikely to have another bombing so close to this one.

An additional precaution would be to stay out of the heavily touristed ares (i.e., Kuta, although I guess Jimbaran Bay used to fit into that definition) and stick to places like Ubud. Further from the coast and diving, but still pretty, and you can get REAL cheap accomm's. Check out Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree website, lots of seasoned travellers with recent info there.

Re: guides, I know you want to avoid costs, but I can't imagine guides cost much there (in malaysia it was like $14 per dive, all equip., guide, food included), plus local knowledge (finding that huge fan or resident crocodile fish) is invaluable and relatively cheap.

Did 5 months of backpacking back in 1999, I'm jealous

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom