Anyone tried the Bism White Beans Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went back and forth through the thread, maybe I missed the answer. But the real question is, "White Beans??? Really?"

Maybe it's a broken translation of something cool like 'White Sharkfish'. Perhaps it has some special meaning in Japanese culture. Was there some marketing research to this?

I've been in the industry a while and have been at meetings where we bandied about potential names for some new product. I can't imagine me ever speaking up and saying, "Wait! I got it! We'll call it "White Beans!"
While at university, I had a girlfriend, who was in the ESL program, then fresh from Hokkaido; and all of her school supplies, sent from home, were adorned with sub-adolescent cartoon characters and stenciled with a number of nonsensical English phrases -- such as the one adorning her pencil box, which I can still recall, "My Dandy Papa Pencil-Box. He is so dandy, my Papa. Why so dandy?"

When she asked what the English phrasing meant; and I told her that it was, at the most, slightly troubling gibberish, she was a bit angry, and left the room -- arms across her t-shirt, which simply read "Tomato," which was then an oddly popular word in Japan -- even the name of a bank, at the time.

She did listen to me, though, when I suggested that one of her other shirts, weirdly emblazoned with "Mitsubishi Pajero," along with a big-tire car caricature, was not the best message to send, on a trip to Cabo -- basically, meaning in Spanish, someone who was, as Seinfeld would say "not master of his domain;" or, a "wanker" . . .

Earlier this year I was able to get this exact model secondhand but barely used. I had doubt in it, but decided to give it a try because how low the price was.

It's sturdy, easy to breath, got no problem in a 7 degree Celsius 30 meter deep dive, a few strong-current dives and about 20 other dives in both fresh and salt water.

I have to say that I enjoy it.

I still don't think it justifies its retail price as stated earlier in this thread though. You can get something much easier to service, with a Venturi switch, and perform just as good from a more well-known brand. They might not be as cute, but who needs cuteness if you can get a Venturi switch, right ? :wink:

Btw, the barometer came with my Bism reg has a dolphin as its needle point. Even now, it shocks me every time I check my gas.

Attachments

• IMG_2795.JPG
    IMG_2795.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 86
Btw, the barometer came with my Bism reg has a dolphin as its needle point. Even now, it shocks me every time I check my gas.

That is a really cool bit of detailing. I don't know how I would feel about adding cosmetics to a gauge needle but it does look very cool.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.
Has anyone seen that sort of thing on any other gauges?

I had an old ScubaPro SPG with Nelson Mandela as a pointer. Guess they knew where the tide was going with that one.

• Funny
Reactions: kHz
I went back and forth through the thread, maybe I missed the answer. But the real question is, "White Beans??? Really?"

Maybe it's a broken translation of something cool like 'White Sharkfish'. Perhaps it has some special meaning in Japanese culture. Was there some marketing research to this?

I've been in the industry a while and have been at meetings where we bandied about potential names for some new product. I can't imagine me ever speaking up and saying, "Wait! I got it! We'll call it "White Beans!"
I assume they named it after the sound a second stage sometimes makes when you breathe from it on the surface.

I don't see any reason to doubt that the regs would work. There are many brands of scuba regulators in the world. While some are better than others and some have more features than others, I have never heard of a regulator brand that is unsafe to use/doesn't work. You definitely want to buy something that is common in your local area. Otherwise you may be stuck mailing the thing off for service.

Bism seems to be a japanese brand that sells a large variety of regulators. Beans is listed as "an active and fashionable women's brand with abundant color variations and graphics based on dolphin and hibiscus motifs." It looks like it's a middle-of-the-road model for bism with "grand neleus" being the top of the line. The standard bism regulator is called re//brass and their budget reg is the submerge.

It seems @Searcaigh's comparison to the mares she dives was appropriate.

View attachment 707082

What kind of unlogical drysuit is this?
Wouldn't air get trapped in the back portion of the drysuit?
It doesn't actually. I used to have a suit very similar. It was easy to self don. It wasn't a horrible suit, I just prefer a front diagonal zipper instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom