Anyone up for doing some drills with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fuzzy,
Instead of shutting down a tank valve and doing a CESA, why not go out to 30 feet with a buddy and suck a tank dry to see what actually happens. It's not as dramatic as you think.
Once the tank runs down to 150 PSI or so the internal pressure of the reg will begin to drop at the same rate as the tank and the air will run out gradually. You'll know you're running out of air and still have enough to get your tail to the surface from 30 feet and still have air to breathe. I've done it many times in a pool just to see how long I have before I absolutely can't get another breath out, and believe me it takes a while.

Another one you might want to simulate is being sideswiped from behind by a bull sea lion. This can and does happen to people on occasion.

Another thing you have to watch out for especially in Monterey are those crazy vintage enemy divers. They will come out of nowhere and cut your long hose! :rofl3::rofl3:

ZKY is right on that one. At the end of a few dives in Tahoe I came up to the shallow bay in about 10 feet of water with 4 or 500 PSI. I just swam around at 7 to 8 feet scooting along on the bottom until the tank ran dry. Once it starts getting hard to take breaths you know your running out but you do have time before the air is finally gone. I heard thats bad for the tank though :dork:

I heard thats bad for the tank though :dork:
Only if moisture gets in, and even that is hyped and overblown. Think about it, if you're not exposing the inside of the tank to outside atmosphere how is moisture going to get in? The tank is sucked down, the valve shut off, remove the reg, hook up the whip and fill with supposed dry air. Where is the moisture?

I routinely pull of my valves to look inside just to make sure shops aren't putting water in my tanks and even with a full exposure like that I never have a problem.
Wet air fills or a fill where the tank valve isn't cleared before filling is 100 times worse than running a tank OOA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom