Anyone using the Viking X-Treme drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Steven,

Just curious if the extreme is still taking up some useful space in your garage or something?

Jeff Lane

I've been having good luck with my x-treme so far. Haven't made too many dives on it, and none in oyster beds. It did hold up ok over a few dives on the NY/NJ wrecks. Only one or two rust stains to show for it from squeezing through some of the hatchways.

-Roman.

... about 3 to 4 cuts over a length of about 2 inches on the right leg.
I'll take a pile of broken glass over some of those nasty shells, they can cut better than razor blades sometimes. Time for a Kevlar suit when making a steady diet of romping in shells.
... fitted me like a glove ...
... after every couple of dives, the cut just ripped further ...
Dang, are you sure the suit wasn't too tight? There isn't supposed to be that much stress in an area like the legs. Proper patching materials & technique work wonders too; It's possible to do a temporary fix on such "unpatchable" things like split neck seals & cuffs if the proper materials & technique are used. Legs are normally not that much trouble unless its a crotch or on a highly stressed seam.
... bad visibility (about 10 inches), ...
Dang, that's hard core.:wink:

I had one for my first suit and loved it, for the money you can't find a better suit.
Rob

I have to ask becaue se I am thinking about an extreme, In your opinion, how would the other suits have handled the romp into the oyser-bank? Ans how would the repairs been relative to the x-treme?

Pete, the Otter skin suit is much stronger than the Viking. OTOH it's less flexible. I've used the Otter for serious wreck diving and it survived without a single cut. It's cheaper too, at least here in Belgium.

If you dive somewhere where the viz is pretty good and you're not ferreting around in wrecks, it'll serve you good. It's a good suit, nice manufacturing quality, but it can't take much abuse. :(

YMMV

Steven

Just curious if the extreme is still taking up some useful space in your garage or something?

Yup, it's still lying around here. I keep it because of the valves. I might need them 1 day.

Forget about buying it, transport costs to FL would be more than the suit is worth...

Steven

Not until you pointed it out... Damn that sure is doing your research before a purchase huh!

Some students have given up diving in less time than that...

Funny now that you point it out but great that folks are looking through the older threads...

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom