AOW course question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I agree that this is not the way a course dive should be handled, it is likely not entirely that uncommon. Every shop needs to make money so the fact that classes are occurring on a "tour boat" makes sense. However, this is where things fall apart. The instructor that is certifying you for anything should have nobody else diving with him unless it is other students doing the same course or DM/AI.

When you ask a question like this, some people will add no value and ask "What did he say when you interviewed him?". This is complete BS. I agree that a student should "interview" a potential instructor, what this sort of mentality leads people to is that most Instructors are useless tools (which I do not believe is the case). A student must be able to expect a certain level of attention and awareness AND instruction without asking. To those that ask this question......I ask this......Do you ask your mechanic if your car will start every time you drop it off to get the oil changed?

To the OP, expect more form course dives. You got an idiot, not an instructor. Do ask questions but in this case let their certifying agency know of what happened so that at least there is something recorded. They do not deserve to be instructing anything.

Howdy folks; this is my first post. I'm a relatively new diver, have 30 dives (mostly from shore). I decided to take the Advanced Open Water PADI course a couple of weeks ago and wondered if my experience is typical.

The instruction you received was particularly lame and unprofessional, however it is typical of what I have heard and observed in my short time diving. I took AOW with my LDS, and there were tourists on the same dives, but they splashed a separate DM for the people not taking their AOW.

That being said, looking back I didn't get much out of the three "experience" dives. I do NOT speak for PADI, and opinions about agencies are spread across the internet like toilet paper, but here goes...

IMO, the AOW "certification" has two parts: The Navigation/Deep and the "experience dives." The Navigation/Deep establish that you realize how much trouble you can get into.

I think that if you pay attention to the coursework and do the two dives, you aren't ready to do deep dives and dives require navigation routinely and safely without supervision, but you are now aware of what is involved and can begin a journey of learning and gaining experience.

To put it bluntly, the AOW doesn't suggest that you are safe off a leash. I know I'm not, and I have the card as well. The experience dives... I guess you could get a lot out of one from a good instructor, and next to nothing from a shmuck(ette). But IMO they take a back seat to the Navigation and Deep dives.

All that being said, my opinion is that if you got the card and you have some idea that deep recreational diving is not to be taken lightly, and you have some idea that wandering around under water will get you into trouble... Then you got the most important thing out of it. Now you can work on becoming a safe and competent diver.

So...

Don't take any more courses from that instructor/shop, but don't mourn your experience either. You got the card, now use it responsibly.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the feedback, guys. I took it for granted that the 5 star LDS would have given me top drawer instruction; esp. since they are probably the best known shop in Kona. As usual, it's 'buyer beware'. More questions ahead of time would have helped me to know what to expect. I still have to do the deep diver and navigation dives. They are waiting to get another student to make it two. I'm hopeful these last two dives will have more instructor supervision on the dives. The other two optional dives were 'naturalist', and 'review'. They were kind of lame, since I live here and have several dives under my belt. They would not substitute for the other, more interesting courses. Thanks again.

Thanks very much, Reg. That makes it much clearer for me. My only goal is to become a better diver, and thankfully, I have an experienced buddy who knows his way around.

It's classes that end up like that that gives this course a bad name! Unfortunately some people won't take just experience only as a pre-requisite to do an "advanced" dive, you need that card...

Fortunately, my class wasn't like that, I actually learned, and got something out of it..it wasn't a glorified (and expensive) guided dive!

Look at it this way, you'll get your card, but just get more experience diving with people that will mentor you, and give you good advice, (sounds like you have someone, too) but chalk this up to experience, and get references for anything from now on.

Have fun!

Thank you, Ben

We as adult students should have expectations of what we want to learn and maybe how we feel comfortable learning it as well! Seems we don't teach the fist up signal at all or very little! If your instructor swims off make a noise and put up your fist for the "Hold" sign and communicate! Let them know your agenda, its your time and money, make them work for it! Your the Boss! People wouldn't take a Photo class dry and not understand anything and then just complain! SO why do it underwater? Say, "I didn't get it" or "what don't I get about this program?" Your paying for a service, please make sure you get what you paid for, it's as much your fault as they other adult!

My wife just completed her AOW in Cozumel with Blue XT Sea Diving. While she was on the same boat as the rest of us she had a private instructor on her dives, doing skills with her for each dive. She got great instruction and learned a lot. My AOW experience here in the states was in between the OP's and my wife's first rate instruction.

I'm not saying reading the AOW book is worthless, but diving isn't about reading about it, it's about diving. When you learn more from your diving class by reading than diving, that's a bad class.

The OP's experience is why many on this board hate the terminology Advanced OW diver.

The other two optional dives were 'naturalist', and 'review'.
What the heck is "review" - I've never heard of that being an AOW option. Seems like a oxymoron...

tropitan:
Thanks very much for the feedback, guys. I took it for granted that the 5 star LDS would have given me top drawer instruction

You made the mistake this marketing concept intends for you to make. You assumed "5 star facility" is the result of a rating system. It is not. Other than not being in trouble for standards violations, it has absolutely nothing to do with quality. The 5 star designation is strickly marketing. It is meaningless to consumers.

Sorry you had a bad experience with your AOW class, but it's not really designed to teach you much more than you could pick up diving on your own for 5 dives. There are some exceptional instructors who do a good job, but they are rare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom