AOW course question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss everything else that can be learned about SCUBA.
wow - when did I do that??

Also, while a "solo" class will teach you how to be "safer"(not "safe") when diving alone, it won't teach you everything you might find useful. And unless you're diving solo with nobody else in the area, diving solo won't "protect" you from another diver that requires assistance. You'll still need to be sharp on all your buddy and rescue skills, since someone may come up to you and expect to share air even if they're not your "buddy".
Yes, I know. My goal isn't buddy avoidance - my goal is to be better prepared when my buddy avoids me.

The day you stop learning is the day you should stop diving! Whether formal or not, never stop your diving education, always find something to challenge you and someone you can learn from!
Um.....who said anything about stopping learning? Not all learning occurs within the context of a class.

I was fifty when I took full cave!
Maybe by the time I turn fifty, I'll be able afford to take such a class and make use of it.

Thank you for that, Reg. Actually, I didn't really think about it until I woke up early the morning after the dives, and thought " hell, I was gipped!" That same day, I called the Course Manager for the shop, and her response after my compaint was "sorry you had a bad experience"! That really galled me, so now I'm wondering if I should stick to my guns and complain to the owner of the shop. Would you? I think of myself as an educated, thinking person and I regret not saying something to the instructor after my dismal 'photography dive'. Yes, I know I could have just read the book for those recreational dives and learned all I needed to know. I also know I could have saved the $300 for the boat dives, and done them myself, at my own pace. I know the ability to dive deep, and the ability to navigate are essential skills to becoming a more accomplished diver, and that is my goal. All of this being said, my last question is this: Should I take the 'Rescue Diver' course from PADI? It seems PADI is the only ageny offered in Kona. Thanks again.
Bob
Yes, talk to the owner, tell them your concerns about the training and that comment made by the course manager
Yes, take the Rescue class .. if it's done well, it will be one of the most fun and rewarding classes you'll ever take

The instructor definitely let you down, and it can't be rationalized away. The instructors obligation is to his students and his students only. They paid for his full attention and that's what they should get.

Diving with other folks on the same boat is fine, but they should be diving independently or have their own DM depending on their arrangement with the operator. Your instructor shouldn't double dip and take on the role of DM

Folks may try to rationalize this away, saying no harm, no foul, or as an economic necessity, but I don't accept that. If the income from a course in insufficient, the solution is to charge more not dilute the product, nor should students be expected to anticipate this and to ask up front, "will you be doing the dives with me?"

I don't have any suggestions about remedy options, but unless this instructor is the only game in town, I'd take future business elsewhere.

Last edited:
There are specific standards for each course. But you should have been under direct supervision of an instructor for all parts.

Not sure if you meant its a good idea, or whether its required. In case of the latter, direct supervision by an instructor is only required by PADI for the deep, night, or any dive below 60ft if deep has not been done. The rest can be indirectly supervised.

As to to the OP, the AOW course is primarily about experiencing new conditions under supervision, but I think you were shorted on the photo dive if it was as described. The instructor works for you, be sure you are satisfied.

Thank you for that, Reg. Actually, I didn't really think about it until I woke up early the morning after the dives, and thought " hell, I was gipped!" That same day, I called the Course Manager for the shop, and her response after my compaint was "sorry you had a bad experience"! That really galled me, so now I'm wondering if I should stick to my guns and complain to the owner of the shop. Would you? I think of myself as an educated, thinking person and I regret not saying something to the instructor after my dismal 'photography dive'. Yes, I know I could have just read the book for those recreational dives and learned all I needed to know. I also know I could have saved the $300 for the boat dives, and done them myself, at my own pace. I know the ability to dive deep, and the ability to navigate are essential skills to becoming a more accomplished diver, and that is my goal. All of this being said, my last question is this: Should I take the 'Rescue Diver' course from PADI? It seems PADI is the only ageny offered in Kona. Thanks again.
Bob

Yes, you should take the Rescue course if its something you are interested in learning. It is much more focused on specific skills. The best way to become a better diver however is to go dive, especially with good divers.

My question is: should I expect more from the instructor while on the dive, or is this supposed to be 'self learning'. Thanks for your thoughts.

No, it isn't supposed to be self learning. The point to taking any class is not only to learn the material in a hopefully geared for learning format (as opposed to a book written for more experienced divers), but that you are exposed to someone who can show you how to do things.

Much of what you learn in class will not come from a book, so find a couple of good instructors. Sorry you wasted AOW to learn this...

Tropitan

You had every right to expect personal attention from the instructor. You are not paying them to give you a certification. You are there to learn and you can't do that unless the instructor interacts with you. Personally, I think you should report your experience to PADI.

I took my AOW in Roatan. The boat was packed, but when we hit the water, it was just the instructor and me for each dive. I would suggest that you talk to the owner and explain what YOU expect and if they can not accomodate you...go to another shop. You have already paid the PADI fee and purchased the reading material.

There are a lot of shops where the prevailing attitude seems to be that they are "dive gods". and customers seem to come second. Fortunately, there are just as many that do a great job serving their customers. I'm sorry that you picked one that is the former.

I did call PADI to talk to them about my experience. They were willing to start an 'incident report' on the instructor, but then we both decided I should talk to the shop manager first. I did, and as I said earlier, the managers' attitude was indifferent at best. My next step is to talk to the shop owner, and try and get satisfaction. If the owner will not be responsive, my intention is to call PADI back and report my whole sorry experience. My desire, at this point, is to try to help the next schmuck that comes along for a course. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
I must say, as a new diver, and certainly new to SB, I'm impressed with the caliber of folks involved here. Most of you seem to have it together, to say the least. I appreciate that very much. I have more to say, but I'll save it for a different forum.

I just completed AOW with PADI, and think that you really got the short end of the stick. We did all of our dives supervised navigation dives--out and back and square pattern, and had to do exercises on our deep dive--do the exercise timed at the surface, and then timed at depth. Our other dives were night, altitude (Denver, duh??), and the best one and most revealing of them all Peak Performance Buoyancy--this humbles you quickly. Peak Performance was the second dive, and after doing it and debriefing after the dive, we all were better at it on the next 3 dives.

I feel that if you are in a class, you should have the full attention of your instructor--would you take a scholastic class and let the instructor get away with leading a discussion on something unrelated to what you're there to learn? It seems to me that the instructor was more of a dive master than an instructor and you have every right to speak with the owner and voice your concerns/opinions.

Back
Top Bottom