Apple Watch Ultra 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless they figure out how to use the ultra wideband chip for underwater transmission (rumours point toward a new chip for the next AWU).

Unless they figure out how to use the ultra wideband chip for underwater transmission (rumours point toward a new chip for the next AWU).

I'm pretty sure the ultra wideband chips are starting at too high a radio frequency to be useful underwater.

Oceanic manufactures that housing/computer, so they can add any hardware features they want, at any time. For the Apple Watch Ultra, they'd need Apple to change manufacturing & add components to millions of AWUs for a tiny niche (from their perspective). As I said earlier in the thread, I think the chances are zero.
Obviously they would never retrofit it to the AWU if it lacked the necessary hardware (which we don't know), the OP was talking about a future AWU. But I think the chances of them bringing the feature to future models being 0% are a little definite, unless you work for Oceanic or Apple? It's okay - you don't think it will ever be a feature, and I'm just saying I don't know whether they'll ever do it, but they might. Up until a couple of years ago I'm sure people didn't think Apple would ever make a dive computer. Who knows, perhaps they'll have a way for the housing and AWU to communicate with each other.

Obviously they would never retrofit it to the AWU if it lacked the necessary hardware (which we don't know).

I think we have at pretty solid idea about lacking the necessary hardware. These transmitters use low frequency radio (Oceanic AI seems to be 38 kHz), or sound signals- and it's unlikely either is achievable with existing AWU hardware, and it doesn't look like other suitable hardware would be coming, unless it's for a different purpose.

I think the chances of them bringing the feature to future models being 0% are a little definite…

That's why I said "I think the chances are zero." Another factor: Apple is probably hesitant about taking ownership of even more technology that potentially has "life or death" stakes for proper functioning – for a small niche feature.

Apple is probably hesitant about taking ownership of even more technology that potentially has "life or death" stakes for proper functioning
Fall detection; Emergency SOS calling; Crash detection; SOS Satellite messages; Dive computer; Medical reminders; Outbreak tracking & notifications; Safety Check... they literally add safety features every year. But you're probably right, there is zero chance of them adding more safety features to future generations of AWU as they seem hesitant.
I think we have at pretty solid idea about lacking the necessary hardware.
How do you know that? Apple (and other tech giants) sometimes adds hardware without telling us or without having a feature that utilises it at launch. e.g. HomePod mini temperature sensors; Google Nest Secure microphones, etc.

Fall detection; Emergency SOS calling; Crash detection; SOS Satellite messages; Dive computer; Medical reminders; Outbreak tracking & notifications; Safety Check... they literally add safety features every year. But you're probably right, there is zero chance of them adding more safety features to future generations of AWU as they seem hesitant.

How do you know that? Apple (and other tech giants) sometimes adds hardware without telling us or without having a feature that utilises it at launch. e.g. HomePod mini temperature sensors; Google Nest Secure microphones, etc.

Well, @kimh is clealy a high-level insider at Apple, because he/she has already told us quite clearly (no "I think" used) that Apple is not adding it.

Air integration isn't coming from Apple. It would be nice to see it, but it's not happening, unless as some kind of workaround from a 3rd-party.

And that’s why it won’t happen. Apple’s not going to add these components to millions of AWUs for (what is to them) a tiny niche, and is useless except for customers who pay for subscriptions to a 3rd-party specialty app.

But, to your point about possibly hidden hardware, I will say that if it had a radio receiver that could be used for AI, I think we would know because I think it would have to have FCC approval to be sold in the US, even if the receiver were not used in its initial release. And if it had that FCC approval, I suspect we would have heard about it.

But, I could be wrong about all that. (I am not an Apple insider)

OTOH, the Oceanic camera case for the iPhone certainly could add AI capability to the iPhone. The case is already connecting to the Oceanic app on the phone via Bluetooth (I believe). So, having an AI receiver in the camera case that relayed cylinder pressure to the Oceanic app on the phone is entirely technically feasible.

However, I doubt they would bother to do that. It's a camera case. Adding an AI receiver to that, just so it can show on your phone seems like a lot of work for very little return. People who want AI are likely to have it on a dive computer that is not their camera. So, also having it on their camera would not be a discriminating factor in a purchase decision. At least, not for very many people at all.

My bet is on Apple adding AI to the AWU using the PPS tech that Oceanic is already using. Or they drop their Oceanic partnership (and support for scuba diving with the AWU) altogether. 50/50 on which way that goes.

OTOH, the Oceanic camera case for the iPhone certainly could add AI capability to the iPhone. The case is already connecting to the Oceanic app on the phone via Bluetooth (I believe). So, having an AI receiver in the camera case that relayed cylinder pressure to the Oceanic app on the phone is entirely technically feasible.

However, I doubt they would bother to do that. It's a camera case. Adding an AI receiver to that, just so it can show on your phone seems like a lot of work for very little return.
Oceanic have signalled their intent on adding AI to the dive housing case as part of their product roadmap. Check out their FAQ site: Oceanic+ FAQ's - Oceanic Worldwide

Oceanic have signalled their intent on adding AI to the dive housing case as part of their product roadmap. Check out their FAQ site: Oceanic+ FAQ's - Oceanic Worldwide

Well, there you go. But, based on past experience with Oceanic software, I'm going to go with "I'll believe it when I see it."

Seems a shame, though, to add it to the camera housing and @kimh and the other Apple execs already decided they're not going to add it to the AWU.

Thanks for your diligent work.

But did you notice that the non-diving features on your list … have user-bases that are literally thousands of times (or 100s of thousands) bigger than air integration? Apple picks its battles.

Apple (and other tech giants) sometimes adds hardware without telling us or without having a feature that utilises it at launch. e.g. HomePod mini temperature sensors…

There's lots of room in a HomePod to stash some extra hardware. OTOH, Apple Watch is the most highly miniaturized platform Apple has ever produced. Maybe that might play a role here? Hmm…

Seems a shame, though, to add it to the camera housing and @kimh and the other Apple execs already decided they're not going to add it to the AWU.

I've worked with Apple as a software partner, spent time in Cupertino with their devs & marketing people- been at WWDC … presented alongside Apple & had Apple engineers as friends. I'd guess there are others here who have such experience with Apple from the inside, but probably not a long list.

Back
Top Bottom