Aqua Lung BC quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792

Reaction score
I was thinking of purchasing an Aqua Lung BC (Malibu RDS), but when I was discussing it with a Not-So-Local Dive Store (NSLDS?), who I have know for a month, and basically, he said Aqua Lung is crap. Keeping in mind the store specializes in scubapro, I wanted to ask others for their opinions/experiences with Aqua Lung BCs, if lasted for years, if they fell apart on the first dive, etc. Thanks.

Aqualung makes quality equipment IMO. I have not had one of their BCs, but do have a number of their other products.

To be honest though, if buying a regular BC, I would buy a SP, but just because I have had them and they are excellent quality.

MD

It would be a fair statement that as long as you stay with a major brand name you should be ok. It is the bells and whistles.. or lack thereof....that makes or breaks a bc for some.

I tried a major brand...used and sold by my lds...but for some reason I just had bouyancy problems with it. I switched to the brank I use today and from the moment I put it on....loved it.

What would concern me more...is anyone that owns a shop especially....saying everything but one brand is crap. He obviously has a personal gain or loss involved and it would make me doubt his word on just about anything. He would have gained my respect and trust more by giving me more information why his brand of bc is better....and ....by telling me to try the other and come back if I decide in his favor. The psychology of selling and customer service just eludes some lds...and other...store owners.

Yeah, the guy at the shop is a very knowledgable diver, but he obviously is heavy into promoting scubapro. Hey, scubapro is definitely top of the line stuff, but he usually resorts to a hard sell which, of course, makes me wary.

RICHinNC once bubbled...
What would concern me more...is anyone that owns a shop especially....saying everything but one brand is crap. He obviously has a personal gain or loss involved and it would make me doubt his word on just about anything. He would have gained my respect and trust more by giving me more information why his brand of bc is better....and ....by telling me to try the other and come back if I decide in his favor. The psychology of selling and customer service just eludes some lds...and other...store owners.
I agree with that statement, and I've seen that more times than I can tell you about. I actually had one guy tell me that all my Suunto stuff was total crap (gee, what a surprise, he didn't sell Suunto).

As for your question, my first BC was an Aqualung Malibu. I did about 20 dives with it and then decided I'd like something else. I wanted to try a jacket, so I got a Scubapro Classic Plus. The Scubapro actually dived better than the Malibu (especially as to the issue of buoyancy control), but since I mainly spearfish the jacket was not a good option for various reasons (for your typical BOW diver who wants to go down and pet fish, it's a great product). I then went to a Zeagle Tech, which was an improvement over the Malibu. If you have the opportunity, hold a Ranger next to a Malibu and you will notice that the Zeagle is a better quality product (IMHO). The Zeagle wasn't exactly what I was looking for either, but if your sold on a typical, non-BP back inflate, it's worth a good look.

I bought a Aqua Lung Cruise, it was on sale. I have had no problems. I do wish I had tried more BCs out though. Being a woman, I have a problem with the BC resting on my weight belt. So I am looking to upgrade but not because of performance, more because of fit. Otherwise I really like the BC... Shop around, try them out if you can, remember, LDSs have an agenda, to get to to spend money on their stock. Shop around, different shops carry different brands.

I've had a Malibu for about 6 months now, 25-odd dives. I have no complaints.

Let me retract that: it has no real pockets and that is a problem. But a problem common to many (most?) back inflate BCs, as I understand it.

Otherwise it fits me well, has enough D-rings in the right places, I like the integrated weight system. it adjusts nicely, and inflates and deflates comfortably. No sign of significant wear yet.

It is kind of heavy.

Bottom line, it suits me very well. You need to find a BC that feels right to you. But I wouldn't rule out the Malibu on quality grounds.

I have been diving with a Malibu RDS for two years. I loved it when I put it on in the shop. What support. Your back my or maynot need that back plate lumbar support the RDS gives you. Then I tried it with a tank on it. Still good support. I have excellent control with it and had no problems with it's mechanics. Aqua Lung is a qualtiy product. Scuba Pro is great to but it sound like a little bais. Its great that you asked about it first.

The best discription I can give for it in how it would fit people is that It is not technical enough but it is not plain enough either. It fits right in between. Not two many clips and rings but enough if you like to your gear teatherd to you.

I highly recomend it if you put it on in the shop and it feels good right away. Make sure you have a tank straped to it also.

Good Luck!!!!

army_roofus once bubbled...
The best discription I can give for it in how it would fit people is that It is not technical enough but it is not plain enough either. It fits right in between. Not two many clips and rings but enough if you like to your gear teatherd to you.

Does more D-rings = more "technical"?

I've owned an Aqula Lung BC for years, they are excellent BC's.

Scubapro BC's are also excellent.

In the major brands of BC's, look for fit and function.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom