aqualung legend first stage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmps:
I have a Legend. After you turned it upside down did you put your first stage in the bottom or top port? I put my second in the bottom port and my octo in the top port. I didn't like the routing after diving with it. Before I reverse them and try again, did you like the routing if you used the other way? I really like the routing with the orginal orientation.

The LP ports run front to back on the Legend, not up and down. I had my primary in the front port, and octo in the back. I did have to change all the hoses when I flipped the first stage.

Marc

jmps:
I have a Legend. After you turned it upside down did you put your first stage in the bottom or top port? I put my first stage in the bottom port and my octo in the top port. I didn't like the routing after diving with it. Before I reverse them and try again, did you like the routing if you used the other way? I really like the routing with the orginal orientation.

The first stage is the part you connect to the tank valve. The second stage is the part you breathe through. So, you have one first stage and two second stages. You differentiate between the two second stages as your primary second stage and your secondary or alternate second stage.

As was already mentioned, the Legend runs horizontally, not vertically. I use my Legends on my doubles, so I have the two second stages on two different first stages.

FLL Diver:
The LP ports run front to back on the Legend, not up and down. I had my primary in the front port, and octo in the back. I did have to change all the hoses when I flipped the first stage.

Marc

Marc,

Thanks. I did have a direction seizure when I gave the locations. I did switch mine last night and all is well again. This thread got me to flip the first, thanks all. I never had a problem with the first hitting my head but I like not having the first sticking up to catch something.

John

Kendogg_66:
I just recently purchased an aqualung legend supreme from my lds. They let my try it out for free in their training pool, and I noticed that the top of the first stage kept knocking the back of my head. I had them reassemble the reg set so the first stage is now upside down from what it was. Has anyone else done this? It shouldnt change the performance.

My LDS actually reccomended and did the exact samething to my AL Legend Supreme when I bought it. The way Aqualung had is was a "poor design choice" or "poor assembly choice" on Aqualungs part.

There is no notice in change of performance once we made the change.

Also, since you've got the "Supreme" you might want to consider raising your "Intermediate Pressure" up some (unless you do a lot of colder water diving). You'll find it breaths a little better some say. The Legend LX Supreme is actually the same physical regulator as the regular Legend LX, which has a higher IP.

The "Supreme" is just a "marketing ploy" by Aqualung and they charge $15 more for it. Go figure huh? :)

The only thing different about the Supreme is a couple cosmetic differences, the mouthpiece lip guard, and the set the intermediate pressure lower (like 130psi to 135psi) instead of somewhere near 150psi like they do on the regular Legend LX.

Why? because in colder water (which is what they market it for) the lower IP is better.

Oh.. BTW... the cosmetic differences, besides the lip guard, which is removable, is the "silver ring" on the 2nd stage instead of the "gold ring" and there is a plastic snowflake molded into the plastic.

I actually liked using the lip guard in chillier water. I think it did make a difference.

The lip guard does make a difference, but I don't like it in warmer water. It just gets in the way. I dive without mine most of the time. I didn't realize they lowered the IP. I'll have to adjust mine. Thanks for that bit of info. Also, cosmetically, I like the silver. I was never taken in by the bling of the gold ring.

May as well chime in and say that I swapped the first stage around on my Legend (LX). I had dialed in my trim perfectly, and I noticed I couldn't look up without hitting my head on the first stage (and I hit my head on enough already, thank you very much). A quick trip to my save-a-dive kit (how much do I need in it before I can call it a mobile workshop?), and all was better.

Incidentally, there's no depth difference between it pointing "up" (i.e. forward) and "down" (i.e. backward) when you're horizontal, eh? :D

Hi All...

I too have a Legend and have noticed the "banging on the back of the head".

I'm having a hard to time visualizing the change that is being described.

Can anyone post a picture of the "after" setup?

Thanks in advance...

I have a Legend LX that is turned around also, just makes sense to do it this way. It still works the same and I will try to post a picture later if no one beats me to it.

Okay, I have no photo, but I'll try a description. In your head, put your BC on the tank and hook up your regulator (including BC inflator, etc). Now, in your head, pop all the hoses out of their fittings on the first stage, and then without disconnecting the first stage from the tank, spin it around 180 degrees so that instead of it being mostly above the level of the O-ring, it's mostly below the level of the O-ring. Then mentally pop all your hoses back into the first stage in the same orientation they were in before. They'll be coming off in the same direction as before, but they'll be connected to the first stage on the opposite side of the first stage if you compare before and after side-by-side off the tank.

Dive-aholic:
The lip guard does make a difference, but I don't like it in warmer water. It just gets in the way. I dive without mine most of the time. I didn't realize they lowered the IP. I'll have to adjust mine. Thanks for that bit of info. Also, cosmetically, I like the silver. I was never taken in by the bling of the gold ring.

I agree. The lip guard does make a difference in cold water.

Yup. The IP is the only real major difference. I didn't know this either until I was investigating it when buying it. Apparantly the reg will free flow easier at colder temps at 150psi. So since they market this as a cold water reg, they set it at something like 130-135psi. My LDS has a really good reg tech and he set it up for me. I notice the 'free flow' during this past weekend when in a colder quarry at about 65f temp. I took my reg out of my mouth and it was free flowing some until I put it back in my mouth. It hasn't done this in "warm water" dives. Not a big deal or a problem, just something I noticed.

If I ever start doing any real "cold water diving" I'll have them tune it down first. But since I don't have a drysuit, right now the settings will work for any water temps I'll dive in.

I gotta agree you also 100% that I like the silver ring better also. I think it just looks better. (of course this is all just cosmetic and diver preference).

-mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom